Russian/German tank battles

My friend and I have been playing some QB tank battles. Trying to get a good balance has been the issue. Currently the Russians get 125% force bonus which allows you to get a bunch of rookies or a few more tanks bu all upgraded to vet and crack status. The Germans get a -50% ammo loadout which prevents Panthers from sitting on a hilltop plinking at T-34's all game.

This forces the Germans to hold fire until the kill probability comes up at closer range, which makes the Russians more effective. In order to win the Germans have to achieve at least a 2:1 kill ratio. If the Germans lose 12 tanks to 15 Russain losses, the Russians win because their tanks will be replaced in a week and the Germans won't get replacements for much longer, if at all.

Any ideas on how to tweak it for better balance?

Well, in general the Russian tanks have much better ground pressure. As such, if you set the ground conditions to "Damp" or worse, it severely can limit the German player's ability to move off-road, especially if he chooses to take StuGs, which are other wise a very good, cheap anti-armor weapon.

Also, type of terrain makes a big difference. In general, more defiles, patches of trees, buildings to hide behind etc., the more it advantages the Russian player because it makes it easier for him to close the distance and turn the fight into a close-range knife fight where the German's high-velocity guns are less of an advantage. Tigers/StuGs especially become less dominant in close-range fights due to slow turret/lack of turret.

Cheers,

YD

Yeah, setting weather conditions and terrain to "random" helps the Russians a lot; always having the weather be clear and dry and the terrain open plays to the strengths of the German tanks and undercuts some historically important russian advantages - like, say, the T-34's excellent cross country mobility in poor weather. Similarly, the weak side armor of many German tanks isn't an issue if the terrain is such that they can stay 1500 feet away on a hill and shoot everything in sight.

The real life problem for the Soviets was much of the terrain was very open...i.e. like Kansas or Nebraska here in the USA; given the range advantages enjoyed by the the Wehrmacht, the Sovs only options were to out manuver them on an operational level ("Get there 1st with the most") or bull their way thru with mass taking a lot of hits.

If you're letting the AI pick your units and want more Germans you might try picking Axis Assault instead of Meeting Engagement. I don't have the numbers but it seems defenders usually are alloted fewer troops than attackers. I'm sure it works this way for Assault, but has anybody noticed a change in relative force size for Probe and Attack too?

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I'm sure it works this way for Assault, but has anybody noticed a change in relative force size for Probe and Attack too?

Im sorry, but have you ever played this game, or just modded it? ;)

From the top of my head (so dont trust me) Probe is + 25 %, Attack is + 50 % and Assualt is + 100%.

Originally posted by Panzer76:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeyD:

I'm sure it works this way for Assault, but has anybody noticed a change in relative force size for Probe and Attack too?

Im sorry, but have you ever played this game, or just modded it? ;)

From the top of my head (so dont trust me) Probe is + 25 %, Attack is + 50 % and Assualt is + 100%. </font>