Idea/suggestion for CMII

I posted this before:

Female civilians with clothing that goes transparent when you get close like building walls do now.

Hey, in MY opinion it's tactically significant!

---

Seriously, With Mac OSX pushing its way forward I'd be happy to find that CM3 is mac compatible at all!

[ January 14, 2003, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by Moon:

Funny you bring this up right now, as we've just sent an interview to insidemacgames.com which might clarify this issue somewhat (additional to what has been already said). Not sure when it'll be posted, but I guess fairly soon.

Martin

Funny you should mention insidemacgames.com

here is there latest review of cmbb:

http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=320

tom w

More than a couple of reader reviews give it ONLY a 5/10 simply because there is no OSX version.

the review says this about it:

"Unfortunately, there's room for improvement. The game ships on a single CD but consumes 1.17 GB of hard drive space, a hefty amount by anyone?s standards, even if the end result is worth it. The lack of an OS X version is strange at a time when Apple's officially migrating everything over to the new operating system. Just switch it to run in Classic, right? Sadly, emulation failed to successfully execute the game 9 times out of 10 on both a current iBook and a G4 under Mac OS 10.2.2 and 10.2.3, the only solution being to boot back into Mac OS 9 and run the game from there. Perhaps this is an isolated case with my own computers, but with only a few months left of newly sold Macs being able to boot into OS 9, there?s something to be concerned about if this is a widespread issue. "

©insidemacgames.com 2003

-tom w

[ January 14, 2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by arkai88:

I find it amazing that someone would believe a game company would produce a mac-only game!?!? Are you still living in the 1980's? Or was that simply sarcasm that I happened to not notice as such?

Actually, you're the first one to bring up the idea of a Mac-only CM.

:confused:

Michael

OpenGL is being considered as far as I'm aware. With OpenGL as the graphics API, OS X support is pretty much given (the graphics API is the only thing really holding back OS X support). Whether this will be the best choice on the PC-side I'm not sure. There are a large number of games that use OpenGL (primarily FPS's), but Microsoft is pushing DirectX as hard as it can to developers. And despite the ire that many people feel toward Microsoft's monopolistic tendencies, their support of an API does affect developer's choices.

Using just OpenGL between the two platforms may make it easier for BTS/BFC to just write CM with one graphics API (and this may end up being the deciding factor). The flip-side of this however may be how well the dizzing array of video cards/chips/drivers on the PC handle OpenGL. Most of the larger graphic chip companies have decent OpenGL drivers, though I'm not sure if DirectX still has performance advantage over them. Microsoft abandoned direct support of OpenGL in favor of DirectX a couple of years ago (about the time that Apple abandoned RAVE). This forced most graphics developers to rely on the OpenGL.org for libraries to support OpenGL on Windows.

Altivec support on the other hand isn't necessarily guaranteed for the Mac. It's only present in G4 or newer CPUs (which should be a fairly common CPU in two years). Other factors which will affect the decision to code for Altivec include the compiler's support for it (with the possibility that some compilers could optimize for Altivec without coding to directly support it - though speed gains from such optimizations may be minimal) and what Charles decides would be worthwhile to code. Some of the calculations that Altivec technology (SIMD - Single Instruction, Multiple Data) can speed up may not apply to a number of CM's calculations (unless Charles is doing some sort of 'batching' for the firing calculations). However some graphical effects in the next engine (CMX2) might benefit from Altivec.

[ January 15, 2003, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]