Rear Facing Machine Guns? Just for show?

Do the rear facing machine guns on some of the russian tanks fire? One of my tanks had a german infantry squad run up behind it for 100 meters and throw a charge on it. Bam! The tank was destroyed, and the rear machine gun did not do anything. You think this is alcohol related or just careless russian drivers or...? Or really lucky german soldiers.

There is no extra crewman serving the rear MG, so chances are that nobody was at that MG (or even spotted the infantry approaching). If a tank is using its main armament, it usually cannot at the same time use the rear MG.

Martin

Bizarre. But that is what I love about CMBB is the fact that units sometimes do odd things. I have only seen the rear MG shoot once and that was cos the tank was immobilised and my tank hunters were sneaking up behind it to put a banana in the exhaust pipe or whatever they do to huge steel machines to destroy them.

Originally posted by Juardis:

So how would you use the rear facing MG? I assume you'd have to run out of ammo on the front facing MG then target a unit without using the main gun? I could see where that would force the use of the rear facing MG.

All your MG's use up the same ammo stock. Anyway, the rear MG is used automatically if they see someone behind the turret and they're not too busy with the forward weapons. Like, say, if German tank hunters are approaching it from behind. There is no way to force it, it is just an insurance policy, really, like the Nahverteidigungswaffe in some German AFV's.

Tank machineguns don't run out of ammo separately (except for big roof-mounted heavy mgs, of course). They all use the same stockpile of ammo so you can't run out of ammo on the front mg and switch to the rear mg.

"You" can't use the rear facing mg, but "they" can. Your crew will elect to use it when they think circumstances dictate (which isn't very often), in much the same way they decide their own main gun ammo usage. I figure if you've got yourself in a position where your tank has to use its rear mg you're not doing your job very well. ;)

[ June 16, 2003, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]