Slightly Unethical, to Say the Least !!!

Great. I've been a supporter of Battlefront since it was a start-up. Now I have to pay $29 to "upgrade" to the new improved CDV version. Granted, I've downloaded all the good mods and missions, but that doesn't include the UI! I still have to change my screen res to get higher resolutions.

Next comes CMBB, no doubt with some tiny enhancements and user-made upgrades.

Pathetic.

Battlefront's finally gotten greedy. :mad:

Ok, maybe I'm not pissed then - on one condition: the UI. CMBB comes with a UI you can use to switch resolutions without having to switch your actual screen resolution. Also, what's all this about new buildings and terrain? Is this user made stuff, or is it from Battlefront? I must have near 10 GB of user-made content, but if the new stuff is from Battlefront I want THAT STUFF TOO. There is no clear information. Also, I don't like the fact that Battlefront partnered with CDV. Why not an American company like SF? If you can answer any of these questions, I'd appreciate it. You seem knowledgeable about the whole mess. :confused:

What on earth? The game itself is just the same as ever. Most of the new stuff comes from modders, some has been copied from CMBB. If you need to change the game resolution, delete the pref file from your CMBO folder.

Finally, I wouldn't call that greed (unless selling games for money is greed, well I guess in a way) but just distributing the same game, with some extras, through another channel.

[ June 02, 2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Sergei ]

Oh joy...

Guymuru, if you own CMBB, you already own 99% of the graqphical updates which you will find in the special addition of CMBO. Added to that is a seperate directory in which we have included some mods from the mod guys for people to add as they wish. The interface hasnt changed at all, so Im not sure where you got that idea from...

Before you call us greedy, unethical and pathetic, it would indeed be nice if you could do us the consideration of making sure that facts you are basing those statements on are correct. :rolleyes:

Dan

[ June 02, 2003, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by guymaru:

I guess you've got a point. All the big name publishers repackage and resell their games for additional profit - why not you? Just a crappy industry practice, like many others.

Umm, I'm sure one of BFC's own hard-working staff will be along in a minute to give you the dinkum griff, but AIUI Battlefront was set up (among other reasons) specifically to get away from "crappy industry practices".

It's not so long ago I, like many others, got the revised edition of the Strategy Guide, Harry Freemans, didn't even have to pay the postage nor even ask for the thing. Now that, my bold segotia, is service.

All the best,

John.

Ermmm, and how is selling our product on the shelf for a discount price, making is available to thousands of customers whom have never even heard of the game before 'crappy', guymuru? How have we harmed you to the point where youd jump on our forums and call us unethical and geedy without even researching the facts?

By the same logic we are greedy charging anything for our game in the first place...I guess we should have made it freeware?

Dan

PS : As John suggested above, we have indeed structured our business to move away from the standard industry practices. This is why CMBO wasnt on the shevles when it was first released. Just look at some of the wargames rushed out on the shelves recently to see what happens when you sign such deals. We designed the product how we wished to and introduced it to the market when we were ready to.

[ June 02, 2003, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

KwazyDog,

Might it be possible to make the additional scenarios available as a single download for owners of the Internet version?

I realized that they are available scattered around the Net, but such an option would be quite a bit more convenient.

Thanks.

Man I don't want to get in the middle of this and it wasn't directed at me for sure but I just have to say one thing. If BFC is crappy or greedy I sure wish all the others would follow suit. Now that would be great. Maybe just somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. :rolleyes:;)

Originally posted by guymaru:

I guess you've got a point. All the big name publishers repackage and resell their games for additional profit - why not you? Just a crappy industry practice, like many others.

So Battlefront decides to start selling the game for retail in North America. Are you saying that you expect them to sell the exact same game to the public as what they first came out with over 3 years ago??

I suppose you dont think that any of the patches should be included either. Why don't they just sell the 1.0 version and let everyone download the patch for it.

Nobody is making you pay for the damn game. It's not like you need to buy the new version in order to continue playing PBEM games with other people.

There's always one on every board.

Calling BTS and BFC greedy is like like accusing The Pope of warmongering. It's simply ridiculous. Considering that CMBO and CMBB are the cheapest games on the market (I've bought both for less money than most store-bought title), considering that they are consistently ranked at the top of every wargame and PC game list I've seen so far and considering that the system has been left open for players to modify (not only scenarios, but the actual UI, sounds, terrain, units, etc), your accusation of greed is unfounded and incredibly childish.

To the BTS and BFC people: ignore comments like these and keep up the good work. All companies should have the vision and integrity to produce high-quality products at a decent price like you've done. I hope CMBO and CMBB sell like hotcakes on the retail market, so that you can continue to produce the best tactical PC games on the market.

Nathaniel

Er, Which Pope?

The post is not necessarily free of people willing to, say, invade the holy land.

The present incumbent probably gets off with a clean record on that regard though.

Anyhoo, that's the first time I've heard of the CDV version being called an upgrade though.

Can I set this person on fire for being a goon?

i don't have a problem w/ bf repackaging and selling their game, more power to them. as a side note huzzza! for your shipping group. got my order in record time.

however i don't have the time to download mod after mod, heck i barely have time to play.

i would like BF to provide all the goodies from the new version in single download for the rest of us.

BF won't loose a sale because even if they don't offer the single download i won't buy another copy of BO or B2B(when it's inevitable "upgrade" is released).

come through for me on offering the upgrades as a download and you'll have a customer for years. don't and it's doubtful i'll buy AK. not a threat, just a word of warning.

that said i'm completely satisfied w/the games and BF as a group. keep up the good work.

todd

Todd, if you already own CMBB then the good news is that you already own 99% of the graphics included with the retail version of CMBO. smile.gif All you need to do is some renumbering and you will have a game that looks almost exactly the same as the game installed off of the CD.

Unfortunately we cant offer them as a download for two reasons. Firstly, and most importantly, is the size. All up the size of these files would be 100's of MB. Offer a file of this size which could potentially be downloaded by thousands of poeple would not only slow down our servers dramatically but also cost thousands and thousands of dollars in data transfer.

Secondly, we would be offering all of our hard work free for download not only to our customers, but also to anyone whom wishes to use it for their purposes whilst having to pay for them to download it. We dont mind people using our graphics in mods for other games (though we do request that people ask our permission) but we do wish them to own a copy of the game, which isnt too much to ask I think.

So for the reasons above (and others) we unfortunately cannot offer the graphics for download. If this changes you choice of purchasing CMAK I am sorry to hear that, but unfortunately there is nothing we can do under the circumstances.

Dan

[ June 05, 2003, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Seems Dan has a good job of answering the questions brought up in this thread but let me make it clear that there is NO "UI" utility in CMBO or CMBO:SE that, as the poster claims, allow you to change resolutions in the game. I am not sure where he got that info from.

There are several thrird party utilities out on the web that allow you to do that yourself but we never made one or included with CM.

Madmatt

Well, I'll just throw my two cents in here as well. I went out and bought the SE edition yesterday. I've owned the Internet edition for about 2 years now. I've never downloaded all of the user made mods because of a crappy slow 56k connection and NO PATIENCE! ;)

I happily forked over the 30 clams for all of the mods even though I already owned the game. I look at it as supporting BTS and BFC so they can continue to make the awesome software that they do. I plan on snatching up CMBB when it hits retail later this year as well!

IIRT KwazyDog

as to the renumbering that's great. no idea what to renumber, where to move it to or what to change the numbers to but its great that it can be done.

as for the potential size, and i don't think i'm alone on this..

1. i've downloaded many demos that exceed the 100MB mark. but if it is an absolute no can do let me suggest the following work arounds that i have used in the past.

a. offer a discount on the newer version for people who have bought the oridginal. if i could get the additions for $10-15 i would heavily consider it.

contiued from above or " the two year old grabbed the mouse"

anyhow, as i was rambling...

b. while i certianly can appreciate the work people put into improving the models gameplay, at least for me is where its at. all i really want are the playtested scenarios. direct links (not goto www.someguyswebsite.com) to the public files would be fine too. i just don't have the time to sift through 100s of downloads on 10s of different pages.

c. while i'm sure your team put in pleanty of work into the additions, they are all (as far as i can tell) available for free (minus time). please don't tell me that something can't be done that won't bankrupt BF. oh and while we're (or at least i am) on the subject what good would the mods be to anyone that didn't have the game? again nice modles w/crappy gameplay equals crappy game.

still happy w/ the games. i don't hate anyone there or wish any ill will, just wish there was something that could be done, for both our sakes.

todd