Close to 700MB lost!!

ok ok this isnt really important to any of you here but I need somewhere to moan. I just had crash on my pc two weeks ago ( First ever on this PC) and so I 've lost close to 700mb of mods maps patches for both CMBO and CMBB which I've been collecting since CMBO on a very poor and very very slow 56k modem and gotter admit Iam a mod addict, If only they had help lines for such things :( . oh well thats ma moan i just had to get out, I'am of shopping now for some of those bran spanking new mods I've missed

Slater:

I have all the .bmp files, and an additional 4000 mod .bmps burned to disk. However, ALL the files have the colour values reduced and many have also been downsampled in order to get the game to run better on my old PC. Some of the stuff doesn't look quite as good as before, but 98% of it looks just fine (to me). If you want, I can mail you a copy. Don't ask me what mods- there are hoardes of them- I chose what I wanted and have been using them. Which ones were which have long been forgotten by me.

[ March 14, 2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Hub ]

Sorry about the joke - but then I beleived Dimbleby when on April 1sr he ran a TV program showing Italian girls harvesting spagetti from the trees. However I do have good news for you. Apparently even if you format your hard-disc the police wih their right technicians can recover virually all the info tha was originally there. I know this to be true because we have had some fraud cases here in Chile where people have not just deleted but formatted their discs and the police have succesfully recovered all the incriminating emails. So take it round to your local Station and ask for their help. THIS IS NOT A JOKE I PROMISE

Its truly great this community eh :D , thanks to all you guys that offered to send cds and help me out my E-mails down for a couple of hours ( damn hotmails useless ) but I'll be checking my mail soon as its back up and I'am sure I can sort something out with one of you, again thanks to all I wasnt purposely asking for all this great help I just needed to moan and then to Receive all the offers was a great surprise its like Xmas all over again, anyway sorry to go on just had to say big thanks to all this is a great weight of my shoulders smile.gif

I've just checked my E-mail and found a NZ player willing to send the Mods etc which is great cause hes only 60 odd k's down the highway, now i can get my life back, iam quiting the drinking and after a QB see if the Girlfreind wants to come back ( they just dont understand what its like ) ;)

Originally posted by Slater_SS:

ok ok this isnt really important to any of you here but I need somewhere to moan. I just had crash on my pc two weeks ago ( First ever on this PC) and so I 've lost close to 700mb of mods maps patches for both CMBO and CMBB

I had a crash (disk became non-bootable, although it had been f'ing up for about a month beforehand), and have firsthand knowledge of two other people at work this happened to, plus anecdotes of others. I think it is a new virus, although I can't find anything recent at Symantec or Kaspersky specifically about this.

I lost two years' worth of files in 1997 despite having a tape backup installed (too little capacity, too much trouble); since then, I am religious about backing up.

I didn't lose any files this time, I slaved the old drive and copied everyting off of it (including the virus, presumably...)

Originally posted by Hub:

I have all the .bmp files, and an additional 4000 mod .bmps burned to disk. However, ALL the files have the colour values reduced and many have also been downsampled in order to get the game to run better on my old PC. Some of the stuff doesn't look quite as good as before, but 98% of it looks just fine (to me). If you want, I can mail you a copy. Don't ask me what mods- there are hoardes of them- I chose what I wanted and have been using them. Which ones were which have long been forgotten by me.

Good idea. CMBB loads much slower than CMBO, it takes maybe four times as long to load 3D graphics. I wonder how you did this? With Paint Shop Pro 7? What settings? Because loading the black small bmps when skipping the other player's turn takes just about one second.