Using Area fire rather than direct fire vs. foxhole?

In a scenario where I had to advance with tanks across an open field in the face of several emplaced AT guns, I tried repeatedly to use direct fire to destroy them.

The icon would show a very low % 'to hit' or even 0%, and I was having no luck. As soon as I switched to area fire and set the target icon right next to the foxhole, the gun crews quickly retreated after a few near hits!

Question: At what hit % do you usually switch to this technique? Does it work vs. any hardened target (heavy bldg, bunker, infantry in crater/foxhole/trench)?

Thanks for any input into this subject!

Area fire should be used against any gun/mg/infantry position that you ID. Direct firing will often lose targeting just as you are putting some hurt on. The only exception is when you have units close enough to the target that you KNOW you won't lose the target lock.

Heavy use of area fire is one simple technique that distinguishes middling CM commanders from good CM commanders.

Exceptions:

1. Area firing bunkers is pretty much a waste.

2. If you are fearful that something will attempt to engage your firing unit you probably don't want to use area fire since the reaction to a new threat tends to be slower.

Originally posted by vanwag:

In a scenario where I had to advance with tanks across an open field in the face of several emplaced AT guns, I tried repeatedly to use direct fire to destroy them.

The icon would show a very low % 'to hit' or even 0%, and I was having no luck. As soon as I switched to area fire and set the target icon right next to the foxhole, the gun crews quickly retreated after a few near hits!

Question: At what hit % do you usually switch to this technique? Does it work vs. any hardened target (heavy bldg, bunker, infantry in crater/foxhole/trench)?

Thanks for any input into this subject!

Maybe the target was pinned or hiding behind a wall or ridge. Exposure is 0% then. As you can't hit a target you can't see (as it is 0% exposed to your LOS), area firing to a place you see is much better.

Probably some remnant of the "ATG on reverse slope bug".

Just imagine the tank saw the gun, the gun was pulled back a bit and the tank can't see it anymore. As he knows the gun is there, a TC would order area fire. Just what you do.

If you are absolutely convinved no other better target will appear, use a small (say 20m ahead of your tank) covered arc after setting the area target. This way only some incoming AP should stop your tank from firing at the target.

Gruß

Joachim

Another issue is that tanks lose sight of object they have already seen when they button up, depending on distance.

So if you think the distance is such that you will lose sight when you are buttoning then you should start out with area fire first.

And also, 0% exposure only means you cannot be hurt by smallarms fire, but HE fired at it will explode besides the target and do damage at long as the burst is not on the other side of the cover.