How to spot anti-tank mines?

Originally posted by Screeny:

mhh I suppose crawling all the way accros the battlefield doesn't make sense ? smile.gif

Point taken, bad idea

Actually, I don't think it was a bad idea at all. It has costs, it has benefits, it has alternatives, and it is reasonably based in historical practice.

Cost: if you crawl all the way across the map, you'll run out of time and will probably lose.

Benefit: if you crawl all the way across the map, you should find any mines in your path that are there to be found and will probably save some vehicles.

Alternatives: just search for mines where you think they might be. Or, say 'the heck with it' and charge your vehicles forward anyway.

Basis: there were/are lots of different ways to find mines, but crawling and prodding is certainly one of them. It should probably only be for pioneers/engineers though.

Regards

JonS

Originally posted by JonS:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Screeny:

mhh I suppose crawling all the way accros the battlefield doesn't make sense ? smile.gif

Point taken, bad idea

Actually, I don't think it was a bad idea at all. It has costs, it has benefits, it has alternatives, and it is reasonably based in historical practice.

Cost: if you crawl all the way across the map, you'll run out of time and will probably lose.

Benefit: if you crawl all the way across the map, you should find any mines in your path that are there to be found and will probably save some vehicles.

Alternatives: just search for mines where you think they might be. Or, say 'the heck with it' and charge your vehicles forward anyway.

Basis: there were/are lots of different ways to find mines, but crawling and prodding is certainly one of them. It should probably only be for pioneers/engineers though.

Regards

JonS </font>

• 2 weeks later...

Shouldn't it depend largely on time available to prep the defense and the type of terrain. Maybe an option or briefing point that explains the bad guys have had plenty of time to sight, dig, emplace, bury, then camo their work (then you actually have to look from the enemies perspective and figure out where the fields lay)or your pursuing, they only have time to chuck them out of their pack and into your way while running for the hills (surface laid, easy to spot, and avoid). May be a setup option pre-battle?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by SuperBadAssSweetDaddyMayhugh:

The only way I ever discovered mine (without running over them of course tongue.gif ) was to have an engineer squad approach at "Sneak" Most of the time they will detect them. Then they use their explosives to blow em up. Cool sight to see. Hope this helps.

Only with AP mines, and only when the infantry unit is actually on the tile. AT mines can only be discovered with vehicles. It's in the manual.

If you suspect mines somewhere and must go through anyway, send a cheap vehicle ahead.