use of mines

when using mines . . . how do you judge just exactly how close they should be placed to each other to create an impenetrable "wall"?

For example, I line 7 AT mines along side one another in open field. The idea being to create a "wall" that NO tank can sneak through. Is there a rule on proximity here?

Originally posted by tigger:

when using mines . . . how do you judge just exactly how close they should be placed to each other to create an impenetrable "wall"?

[snips]

Bear in mind that even if you leave no gaps minefields are not "impenetrable". As far as I can make out from some tests run in CM:BO, anti-tank minefields have a general stopping power of about 70% (which is the right kind of figure for a three-panel barrier minefield of the kind that was popular when I last had to worry my pretty little head about such things). I haven't run any tests in CM:BB but I'd guess it hasn't changed.

Remember the old principle that an obstacle loses at least 50% of its tactical value if not covered by fire. Especially if you are short of mobile counter-attack elements in your defensive layout, a lot of trouble can be caused by an enemy "leaker" that gets through a minefield you were counting on stopping everyone.

All the best,

John.

I'd put them directly next to each other with no gaps. John D. Salt's right, though, there is some chance that a tank can drive right through a minefield without hitting a mine. If you really, really, want to make sure nothing gets through , you could do a second line - I usually wouldn't, though.

No increase from overlapping.

The effectivity of about 70% sounds about right - unless I drive my TDs into friendly minefields, then it is 100% accourding to my past samples.

There is few point in trying to make an inpenetratable wall, it will never be.

I also had nasty surprises when I tried to tie enemy tanks down with mines so that they wouldn't be able too reach useful target with their gun. Apart from those tanks which drove over the mines undamaged (see above), there is way too much terrain to go outside the mine layer and whatever valuable you had might be hit anyway. I found it better to actually kill the tanks (surprise!) and save the delaying efforts for the enemy infantry.

I ran into a huge wall of AP/AT mines in a recent battle, very effective. I'd taken the "covered" approach that allowed me to approach the enemy positions unmolested. Nice placement meant I ran over mines, then tried to go around and ran over more mines. Then moved to bring supporting fires on a hill 50m back, ran into another mine.

The mines have been VERY effective against me.

Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

Don't forget that minefields can be "stacked".

This way you can increase the probability of somebody setting off a mine considerably.

As far as I know you do not increase the effect by stacking them one on each other. You can stack them one behind each other.

Not sure whether you can create a dual-effect AT/AP minefield. Worth a test.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by redwolf:

As far as I know you do not increase the effect by stacking them one on each other. ...

Not sure whether you can create a dual-effect AT/AP minefield.

The game engine treat all minefields individually no matter where they're placed (even if it's on top of each other). For mixed fields you therefore also get the interesting result that running troops on foot into it will only reveal it as AP.

Somebody did a test some year ago and got the predictable result.

Cheers

Olle

Originally posted by Brightblade:

If you want to build something impenetrable for vehicles, simply use roadblocks. No vehicle can cross them and they can´t be removed.

Yes of course, but roadblocks are too pricey to buy in large quantity.

I was playing a game last night with heavy trees, so heavy in fact that my 4 daisy-chain AT mines were enough to completely block the enemy's armor from the victory point locations. I of course covered the mines anyway with AT guns because they don't always work. I'm damn glad I did because all 4 of his bloody tanks walked right through without a scratch. Unreal.

I think that the PSI of the vehicle passing over the mines affects the mine detonation chances considerably. For example, once I had a halftrack drive right through a minefield unharmed, and then an ISU-152 drove through the same MF and blew up. Also, I am not sure if roadblocks work on open ground. In CMBO, a hellcat drove right through a roadblock in open ground, but couldn't penetrate one on a road. Is this true for CMBB?