A note on who gets to be a sewer rat...

Perhaps I should've put this in Tips and Tricks...

Anyhow:

for those who are interested, I did some testing on which units may use sewer movement and which may not. Some results I found surprising, others weren't.

The rulebook states, at the top of p.77, that all regular units in command may use sewer movement; I confirmed that this also applies even if the HQ is Green or Conscript, even though such HQs may not go sewer diving.

In the last paragraph of "Sewer Move", it states that "heavy weapons" may not use it. Tests indicate the following are heavy weapons:

LMG (I was surprised, considering the squads have LMGs)

MMG

HMG

MTR

SHARPSHOOTER (another surprise)

ATR

FT (and another)

AMPULOMET

Couldn't find such a list using the search function, so here it be.

Interesting stuff. Can't say I've ever used sewer movement in any games be they PBEM or against the AI.

I'll hijack this thread and ask if anybody else has ever bothered with it on a regular basis? It's rarely ever mentioned on the board so it would seem it's not used much. Rather a waste of programming resources? ;)

Originally posted by Captain Pies:

Interesting stuff. Can't say I've ever used sewer movement in any games be they PBEM or against the AI.

I'll hijack this thread and ask if anybody else has ever bothered with it on a regular basis? It's rarely ever mentioned on the board so it would seem it's not used much. Rather a waste of programming resources? ;)

The mere existence means you have to fear your enemy uses it. I use it seldom. Either no effect or the price (squads gone astray) was too high.

Gruß

Joachim

I recommend it just so you can watch the guys sink through the floor: grand fun. I was reminded of it with the two pale ghouls in the Matrix: Reloaded.

I second the motion that it's something to use as a threat...which to me means you've got to follow through on it every now and again.

Some uses I can think of:

- you're in the VL and know you're likely to receive a thumping from heavy HE. Avoid the thumping by submerging into the sewer and remerging when the place has been rubbled. That one's worked for me before.

- there are many VLs and you don't plan on holding the foremost ones. Nothing says you can't try and pick it up for cheap by sending a platoon into the sewer to try and scam it late in the game when its being held by walking wounded.

- along the same lines, you can try to pop up in buildings near the heavy weapons/support AFVs and bushwhack 'em.

I don't recommend sending lone units: think minimum of a platoon and but a +2 stealth HQ in charge.

Any ASLer who's played the Red Barricades HASL can tell you how much fun the psych warfare aspect of sewers can be...by the by, sorry about using "MTR" for mortar, that's ASL speak.

Originally posted by NG cavscout:

I have a few questions about sewer movement. What happens if your exit location is rubbled before you exit? What happens in an operation if you have units in transit in the sewer when the current battle ends?

Rubble before exit... Dunno, but I read from Brents post that his troops emerge after the houses are rubbled.

As units in transit are counted as lost or ok (not prisoners!) in the AAR, I guess those that would have made it will be back in the next battle.

Reminds me of another dirty trick: The situation is dire. You killed many attackers but are encircled, out of ammo and gonna be beaten. Autosurrender is imminent. Save your squads by going underground! (and no, this is not gamey)

Gruß

Joachim

Just ran a quick test to confirm what I remembered:

Yes - you can emerge from the sewer into rubble BUT ONLY IF IT STARTED AS A LEGAL DESTINATION BEFORE IT WAS RUBBLED [sorry for the shouting].

The test: had some infantry go into the sewer with a factory destination and a heavy building destination just before some heavy HE rubbled them: they emerged unscathed into the fresh rubble, with one unit actually doing so on the turn of rubbling, after the factory had been dropped.

However - you may not enter the sewer from rubble, even it was created during the game.

[ August 13, 2003, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: Brent Pollock ]