Sewer movement

Hi,

seems I have to travel/escape thru the underground in my next battle. I know how it works, but I don't know the effects.

When I send a plt from A to B and it says "about 5 minutes" I expect it to be from 3 to 10 minutes.

Handbook (CDV) says prob for getting lost is 10%. Under stealth it says that this bonus reduces risk of getting lost. Anybody ever tested that? Any felt data about this?

Does experience reduce risk of getting lost?

Does getting lost mean the guys are counted as dead/wounded or just find their way out long after the battle.

Do all appear in their designated target? In which shape?

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by Scarhead:

Yes.

No. Once I used sewer movement and several squads resurfaced ~6-7 minutes later in the exact same building they departed from.

Originally posted by engy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scarhead:

Yes.

No. Once I used sewer movement and several squads resurfaced ~6-7 minutes later in the exact same building they departed from. </font>

I recall two things that board members DEMANDED that BFC put into CMBB back at the concept stage was the ability for movement via sewers in city battles, and the provision to depict fighting in the large Stalingrad cemetaries (and city cemetaries can be get pretty park-like). As far as I can tell neither of these features have been worked very heavily. Most often the only cemetaries I've seen have been one or two terrain tiles behind a country church, and everyone (including me) seems to be scared to use sewer movement due to the very iffy outcome.

Originally posted by engy:

No. Once I used sewer movement and several squads resurfaced ~6-7 minutes later in the exact same building they departed from.

Think yourself lucky, the only time I tried it, I sent a platoon and 10 minutes late one squad arrived and was promptly massacred. As far as I can tell the rest of the platoon are still down there drinking vodka.

I had good success with sewer movement in a tournament. It was the only way I could get reinforcements into a factory. They were usually a bit late, and I'm sure they didn't smell too good, but they got there in the end. I don't think my opponent ever cottoned on to how I was able to field so many men in a factory he thought he had cut off.

I did lose one platoon of pioneers though. They're still down there as far as I know.

Originally posted by Scarhead:

When I send a plt from A to B and it says "about 5 minutes" I expect it to be from 3 to 10 minutes.

Handbook (CDV) says prob for getting lost is 10%. Under stealth it says that this bonus reduces risk of getting lost. Anybody ever tested that? Any felt data about this?

Does getting lost mean the guys are counted as dead/wounded or just find their way out long after the battle.

For first 10 meters unit will need 2 minutes, and after that another minute for every 10m. So it is extremly slow.

It is also very risky, there is a 10% chance that unit will be lost forever. I think that means that they are dead/wounded.

Only regular or better squads, HQ and tank hunters can move underground. No sharpshooters, panzerschreks, LMGs, ...

[ May 04, 2003, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: Gamax ]

Finally run some tests myself.

Had a regular, veteran and crack '41 Mot Inf Co. Each Co had a Plt Co with stealth bonus 0, 1 and 2.

They had to move in a city like environment, with houses set up in two rows, then a street, another two rows and so on. Plts started from left to right, so I knew where each squad started.

They had to move about 25 minutes for the of two strets and 4 houses distance. Of the 414 Men going, I had one run with 34 and one with 24 causalties.

After 6 to 7 turns, the first men popped up in starting postions. This accounted for roughly 20-25 percent of the total. About 50 percent made it to their destination or a neighboring building. 20-25 percent came out to short, considering the lines where the streets where did bias the test a bit, I would suggest a uniform :cool: distribution from start to target (hey, they are soldiers, so I would have expceted that distribution anyway. Have to try with partisans). 5 percent were to wide.

Those "on target" came out after 22 to 40 turns (of 40).

Those that were still in sewers were counted as ok, even when I surrendered.

(This is not a significant test, so I did not count exactly. Exact numbers would just be better lies.)

Neither experience nor stealth bonus had a significant advantage.

When I did a 3rd test with only 7 minutes (across the street) to go, I lost 50 men.

Recommended only if you are desparate. Maybe less houses where they can come out does reduce those gone astray, but could increase those MIA.

Thanks for the help&infos

Joachim