What about tank trenches ?

Yes, of course it would be possible to simulate this sort of fortification with the editor. You can take marsh or rough but then :

</font>

• The defender cannot set it like a trench or a minefield.</font>
  • The attacker will localize immediatelly the trenches at the begginning of the battle. I'm not sure that these things were camouflaged but it may be. In an other hand, an advancing tank (buttoned up) will not see the obstacle very easely during combat ! :rolleyes:</font>

The better would be to use barricades but this is not a trap ! I mean, a tank will see and avoid it. On the contrary, with a tank trench, the vehicle will advance and fall into it because it didn't see the trap.

So ? :confused:

Originally posted by Stacheldraht:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />This kind of fortification was, I think, widely used by germans

Not just the Germans, from what I've read. For the defense of Moscow, the government sent out thousands of civilians to dig anti-tank ditches like that around the city, iirc. </font>

The need for a player implaced tank ditch has never been met. However you can try some of these

two rock walls with soft ground in between

soft ground with two trenches side by side=more of a slower but tanks do get stuck if they try to go thru (sometimes!)

obstacles or rubble, rough terrain etc.

I always thought a trench modified into a tank ditch by selecting an opinion would be best. Oh well something to look forward to in CM3

Originally posted by Hans:

I always thought a trench modified into a tank ditch by selecting an opinion would be best. Oh well something to look forward to in CM3

I think so smile.gif . Many solutions exist in order to simulate this type of fortification. But these cannot be used during a setup phase. On the contrary, infantry trenches can... That's the problem.

I was about to recommend roadblocks myself! A woefully underused piece of equipment. Good way to funnel armor into anti-tank minefield, keep their tanks from getting good LOS on your troops. And very impressive looking if stretched from one side of a map to another! :D

[ March 03, 2003, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I was about to recommend roadblocks myself! A woefully underused piece of equipment. Good way to funnel armor into anti-tank minefield, keep their tanks from getting good LOS on your troops. And very impressive looking if stretched from one side of a map to another! :D

Oh ! I see... ...you mean that ? :D

Maginot_LIne_AntiTank.jpg

But, I insist on the idea that a tank ditch is a trap... ...not only an obstacle :

"...At night of March 13, 1944 the 2nd lieutenant A.V.Sivakov followed his regiment's route on his M4A2 and was informed about presence of enemy in Yavkino village. Nevertheless, he had decided to break through enemy's village and come up his regiment. On his tank he run into village with maximum speed and had opened fire. Showing an excellent experience he maneuvered in village, so Germans has thought about 10 Russian tanks in a village and quickly retreated.

Next day the Germans have reinforced and launched a counter-attack. During the battle the M4A2 falled into the anti-tank ditch. After that the Germans approached and offered to surrender. However, Sivkov opened fire with a cry "Soviet Communists never surrendering!". About ten German soldiers were killed, the rest have retreated, but Sivkov opened fire with a antiaircraft machine-gun. When he run out of ammo he blowed up himself and his tank."

Recommended: must be awarded the Hero of the Soviet Union.

Commander of the 212th Independent Guards Tank Regiment,

Guards Major Barbashin.

( web page )

In CMBB, barbed wire is automatically spotted by troops, roadblocks too. Reading this text, you can imagine that it's not prooved that the tank driver and/or commander (in the stress of the fight) could have seen the ditch.

Cheers.

According to the rulebook infantry trenches increase teh chance of a tank bogging as it crosses them, so perhaps using several of those side my side (or indeed in parallel lines close to each otehr) would give the required effect?

Originally posted by Flammenwerfer:

Using the editor, this type of elevation pattern(as an example)will create an anti-tank trench or gully.

Hi,

Effectivelly, I think the editor is the only way to properly create an antitank ditch/trench, using heights and/or different types of tiles (rough, marsh...). I don't know how exactly an infantry trench is modeled is CMBB (I mean depht for example, but also "bogging" capacity...) but, looking at the first picture I've found, a tank ditch is 2,5 meters deep. How deep is an infantry trench then ? Grognards could be helpfull there !

If these two fortification have "roughly" the same dimensions, then Ok : let's use trench for these two purposes : protect infantry, stop tanks.

Cheers.

Originally posted by -Havermeyer-:

Just looking at the picture, is it less of an impassable object than a nice way to expose the underbelly of the AFV?

I was thinking the same thing. The tanks should be able to climb out of that ditch, assuming it has enough engine torque.

And even if it doesn't end up immobilized, an At gun has plenty of time to have the tank zeroed, and impale it "by the gut" once the tank's climbing out. :D

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by -Havermeyer-:

Just looking at the picture, is it less of an impassable object than a nice way to expose the underbelly of the AFV?

I was thinking the same thing. The tanks should be able to climb out of that ditch, assuming it has enough engine torque.

And even if it doesn't end up immobilized, an At gun has plenty of time to have the tank zeroed, and impale it "by the gut" once the tank's climbing out. :D </font>