Are there some kind of "newbie scenarios"??

tips for assualting a hmg nest.

1. if you have that many units (3-4 platoons) even if they are green units, attacking a lone hmg nest should be a cakewalk. first have one platoon lay area fire (not target fire) at the nest,while the other two actually target the hgm itself. then have the first platoon assault the nest after a delay of about 20-30 seconds depending if you can tell the experince of the hmg crew. the higher the exp, the more fire you have to pour on them before they get pinned.

2. another less heart pounding way to defeat a hgm, is to just have your hq unit los the nest for a mortar team. takes a while but alot less stressing and youll lose less men.

Originally posted by 761st Black Panther:

tips for assualting a hmg nest.

1. if you have that many units (3-4 platoons) even if they are green units, attacking a lone hmg nest should be a cakewalk. first have one platoon lay area fire (not target fire) at the nest,while the other two actually target the hgm itself. then have the first platoon assault the nest after a delay of about 20-30 seconds depending if you can tell the experince of the hmg crew. the higher the exp, the more fire you have to pour on them before they get pinned.

2. another less heart pounding way to defeat a hgm, is to just have your hq unit los the nest for a mortar team. takes a while but alot less stressing and youll lose less men.

Platoon or squad???? You have me a little baffled.

True, but I think it's worth keeping in mind what works against a live opponent will crush the computer.

Black Panther, attacking even a lone HMG position is never a cake walk. He has firepower at range, an infantry squad does not. You will most likely not know where he is, even after he fires, especially if he is in cover. And finally, the best MG postions are away from the line of advance, so you will most probably have to reposition to get at him, exposing yourself in the process.

Originally posted by Corvidae:

I gathered he was playing against the AI

certainly that strategy will be less effective against a human player

2vxhpbn.jpg

of course the this strategy would be work differently against a human player,human players are erratic. but look at what realest is asking. how to assualt an AI player. get off your PBEM high horse.

Originally posted by PFMM:

True, but I think it's worth keeping in mind what works against a live opponent will crush the computer.

Black Panther, attacking even a lone HMG position is never a cake walk. He has firepower at range, an infantry squad does not. You will most likely not know where he is, even after he fires, especially if he is in cover. And finally, the best MG postions are away from the line of advance, so you will most probably have to reposition to get at him, exposing yourself in the process.

nightkin said that he was twenty meters away from a KNOWN nest, with a 3/4 of a platoon. granted most players have their own tactics when it comes to certain objectives, im just voicing mine, maybe nightkni will think its complete garbage and use his own, whatever. everone thats played this game for a while knows that just because one strategy worked extremely well in one scenario doenst mean its gonna work in the next.

Well vs the AI last night in a CMAK operation i routed a german MG nest with the following.

1 Spotter for mortar team

1 60mm Mortar

2 Squads - indirect fire for 1 with no movement and an advance command with 20 second pause on the other (i let the AI determine fire) MG was aprox 120M - 160M away or so once i found him.

I am playing americans in italy around 43 i think. The one at the Gustav line.

Do you folks think i did ok? It seemed conservative to me. I've been trying to stop the AI overkill of firepower, and i'm finding it near impossible.

realest,

Thats pretty much what you want do, suppress the firer with HE throwers and move in. When you move in don't just charge the position, move to better firing postions and covered postions as well (it's not easy,I know).

At first it's a pain, but getting used to setting covered arcs is essential for better play. You can save some wrist work by double clicking on the relevent HQ unit and then adjusting individually. Some general values I use;

Reserve,manuever,ambush and tank hunters - 25m

Overwatch or defensive - 100m to 200m

Advancing or SMG squad - 50m to 100m

Finally, the AI tends to cluster, use it too your advantage, and versus the computer don't be afraid to experiment.

Have fun.

Hello all!

Sorry for this late answer.

I have to thank you, especially JasonC for his great answer smile.gif

You all answered a lot of questions. I will try my best today on "friedhoshügel" or "chemetary hill" in english? But how can I order "area fire" on an enemy? If i press target and move the coursor on the enemy my units target the enemy dircetly. Do I have to aim just next to the enemy, and does this will effect on the enemy?

As I said, it tried a normal attack, with pressing "T" on the enemy hMG, and all my infantry troops where killed, or ran away in panic. That made me thinking about the strengt of entrenched MGs and how to tkae them out, just with infantry tongue.gif

Greetings!

Nightkin,

Panther is correct, zoom in as close as possible and use Area Fire right next to the target without touching it. Area Fire covers roughtly a 20 meter area and is not as affective as direct fire but will still give some suppressive results.

Originally posted by PFMM:

realest,

Thats pretty much what you want do, suppress the firer with HE throwers and move in. When you move in don't just charge the position, move to better firing postions and covered postions as well (it's not easy,I know).

At first it's a pain, but getting used to setting covered arcs is essential for better play. You can save some wrist work by double clicking on the relevent HQ unit and then adjusting individually. Some general values I use;

Reserve,manuever,ambush and tank hunters - 25m

Overwatch or defensive - 100m to 200m

Advancing or SMG squad - 50m to 100m

Finally, the AI tends to cluster, use it too your advantage, and versus the computer don't be afraid to experiment.

Have fun.

Thank you

@ Joe, i've seen your email.... I'm gettin to it. Apologies.

Originally posted by Nightkin:

Hello!

Just thought about it. Why area fire on the mg nest, if its less supressive than direct targeting the nest?

Greetings...

Because if you target the MG nest and the MG becomes suppressed, it can become invisible to you. Your vehicle will then stop firing at it and it will be able to recover.

By using area target, fire will be continuous and you have a better chance of breaking the unit and forcing it to rout.

If you want a good infantry scenario try Hill 312 as the Russians or Lake Ladoga as the Finns. Using armour start off with Iron Roadblock as the Russians or A Warm Place to Sleep. Often defence is easier than attack especially against the AI and allows you time to find out the game mechanics.

Choice of scenario is very important as they vary hugely in their difficulty. I would recommend that if you want to play the Russian side or get an insight into them that you try JasonC training series at www.blowtorchscenarios.com. If you have questions arising from these you can post on this forum and JasonC will give you excellent answers. I have a list of many of these that I can email.

Good luck