How do you drive a Tiger?

Not being familiar with any type of tank-driving, I thought I would be specific to the Tiger in particular. I have lots of references, but they are almost all unit histories and combat histories... so, no "driving instructions" as it were.

Was it a gas pedal and a brake pedal? With differential clutches operated by each hand? (For steering). How did one shift gears?

Was it a system comparable to other tanks? I have read that Russian tanks were extremely exhausting to drive...

I hear the Tiger was a joy to drive compared to other tanks. Much less manual labor involved. And I think* it was one of the first tanks that could pivot on its axis, basically spin in place with one track moving in reverse and the other going forward. That makes negotiating tight spaces a LOT easier than it would otherwise.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I bought a copy of the Tigerfibel but unfortunately don't read German. The pictures of the naked and half naked girls were quite amusing, if only I knew what the text captions said (!)

Sure a lot different from the manuals they give US to read.

http://www.geocities.com/tigerfibel/hires/tfkaputt.jpg

I can translate the captions smile.gif Just show the one you want to have translated.

The link in your post is dead to me :(

Originally posted by MikeyD:

And I think* it was one of the first tanks that could pivot on its axis, basically spin in place with one track moving in reverse and the other going forward. That makes negotiating tight spaces a LOT easier than it would otherwise.

The Churchill tank right from its earliest model was able to neutral steer. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Germans were so impressed with this feature from captured ones after the abortive Dieppe raid that they incorporated it into the new Tiger I design. I'm sure the likes of Jon S., John Salt or any other Jo(h)ns will set me right if I'm wrong on this. smile.gif

Regards

Jim R.