AA gun location ??

My AA guns do open up and fire at aircraft when in scattered trees, so that's where I tend to put them. I don't know how effective they are there v. open ground. The truth is, I've never shot down an aircraft in either case. My thinking is that having flak flying around longer is more important that its accuracy in driving off bombers.

Have there been any tests of this?

To get the best out of AA guns they must have a clear field of view to the sky. Unfortunately that means leaving them out in the open on top of a hill. Everything else is a compromise between a good field of view and safety. I have found guns disturbingly effective in shooting down planes.

I've had an AA gun score a kill on aircraft while the gun was sandwiched between two buildings, hoping to ambush tanks. So it seems that buildings don't interfere with AA fire. (?)

Also, the German 88 doesn't seem to act as an AA gun in CMBB, despite its famous effectiveness in that role historically. Does anyone know wether certain units used only AA ammo, and others not? I have read a story of a unit of 88's, dedicated to the AA role in Normandy, which was forced at pistol point by a German officer to shoot at British tanks, destroying a multitude of them. So it would seem that the same 88 units could act as AA or AT guns at will? I'd be curious to hear anything anyone knows about this.

AA guns can and do shoot down fighters very effectively, esp the quad 20 flak.

However their other important use in CM is in the light AT role. The 37mm flak eats ACs, HTs, thin skinned TDs, etc for breakfast due to the high ROF, and very high muzzle velocity.

They are also good at harrasing infantry, and drop light buildings quickly.

These uses can be "contriversial" and many players dont like it.

I have always had a problem with getting my AA to open up. I try and place them in a position where they have a good visibility to the sky and some cover {brush, wheat field, and sometimes scattered trees}. Planes come and they rarely fire.

Is there a variable aircract spotting factor involved? When they do see them, I have never brought one down. The main use that I see AA's used for is a anti-vehicle role, especially the 37mm's.

Chad

It usually helps if it happens to be facing to the direction from which the Jabo is coming. If I have more than one, I put them to face different ways to be sure. Or then have them some (not too great) distance from your main force (the contested battlefield) and facing that way, as the plane will approach them your AA might pick it. Experience should help.