Mapping Mission 1.09 (with CMBO support)

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Just one question: did you reverse-engineer the map data or did you have support from BTS?!

Neither. Mapping Mission doesn't have anything to do with the CM map file format. It doesn't "save" maps in CM format; it "exports" them by simulating the actions of a user laboriously clicking on all the tiles of the CM map editor interface (but much, much faster).

I did have BFC's approval/blessing to pursue the project, however.

Originally posted by Le Tondu:

Aw Gee, I hoping that 1.09 had an import function for maps already made with the scenario editor.

Maybe in the future?

Without support from BFC that's not likely. There is one viable third-party possibility for taking CMxx maps and sucking them into Mapping Mission; it involves taking screenshots of the map in the CM map editor, and then doing tile-wise comparisons to figure out the tile type and elevation. Unfortunately that would be pretty labor-intensive for the user (since most maps won't fit on one CM editor screen even at high screen resolutions).

I'm not likely to tackle this project anytime soon (but I don't rule it out entirely). Since the MM file format is published (in the back of the User's Guide), anyone else out there that wants to take a crack at this is welcome to.

Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

Neither. Mapping Mission doesn't have anything to do with the CM map file format. It doesn't "save" maps in CM format; it "exports" them by simulating the actions of a user laboriously clicking on all the tiles of the CM map editor interface (but much, much faster).

Oh yes, now I remember that you did it that way! Very ingenious!!!

Thanks for your reply and a lot of fun with your work!!!

Regards,

Thomm

Exporting a CM scenario editor map to Mapping Mission wouldn't be that hard either, you just had to run a pattern matcher on the titles and another pass for the elevations. Pretty simple as long as you don't have to scroll and a bit more tinkering if you have to.

Is there demand for it?

Originally posted by redwolf:

Exporting a CM scenario editor map to Mapping Mission wouldn't be that hard either, you just had to run a pattern matcher on the titles and another pass for the elevations. Pretty simple as long as you don't have to scroll and a bit more tinkering if you have to.

Is there demand for it?

I agree it's not technically all that difficult; just a SMOP [small matter of programming]. But I think that scrolling would be necessary for most maps. That means taking multiple screenshots, importing them all, and stitching them together in MM. Certainly doable but far from a one-click type of operation. It might be necessary to have two shots per map area if there are tiles where elevation values can make it impossible to determine the type of a tile.

There is some demand, but I don't know how much.