150mm inf guns at night, in fog & rain ME

i have found myself in a peculiar situation. i am playing a ME set at nigth with fog & rain. unfortunately i didn't know about this setting, so i bought, amongst other silly things, two 150mm infantry guns. planned to tear apart some commie butt, you see.

now, what to do. at the moment i am planning to just pull the guns (fast, with gun tractors, on a road) to a position near one flag, and hope that some enemy infatry will materialize to get wasted big time. a sort of ambush. and thereafter just shoot blind defensive fire to the general direction of the evil commies.

i fear this plan will fail dramatically.

any better ideas? any hints or tricks on how to make use of these monsters on these conditions?

visibility appears to be 46 meters *insane laughter*

If you want to get fancy, place it behind a ride where the enemy is good distance of the other side of the ridge.

Then target the top of the ridge, about half of the shells will go over, flying through the night. Will for sure surprise the hell out of your opponent.

Since the other half will impact in the slope you need enough distance to the ridge so that the gun doesn't knock itself out.

If this is a competetive game, I'd rather say move them off the map. Under these conditions it is likely you will lose them, and since it will be at short range you'll get crew casulties. That can be expensive, 54 points for the gun plus 6 for each crewmember.

Also be very wary of the depth of your LOS versus the blast radius of a 150mm shell. I don't have access to CM right now, but I would imagine that the blast radius of a 150mm shell is substantial, and may be greater than the LOS that you will have at night in fog and rain.

I would agree to use infantry and MGs to pin the opponent and provide protection to the 150mm IGs- just take care where you place all the troops. (Sidenote- interesting scenario concept, I may have to experiment with this force structure in a QB myself....)

Tow the 150s into covered positions with just barely LOS to the edge of cover you're sure he's going to need to use. Once your forward units detect enemy sound or visual contact use area fire with the 150s. I'd embark and get them out of there next turn before the onboard mortars can move to get LOS to them.

The trick is to keep the 150s far enough away that the enemy will have a difficult times spotting them. Once the position of the 150s has been identified a good opponent will kill the guns soon afterwards.

Don't listen to the others, they obviously are honourless cowards. If you are a Finn with courage and honour, then you will charge the enemy with your infantry gun. The gun plate will protect the crew from the few shots the honourless defenders might be able to fire in darkness before they are overrun, and then the gun crew will use their ninja magic to smite the despisable enemy.

May the one with more courage and vodka tonic win.

the 150 should have a min range of more than the blast radious of the shell by a considerable amount. i suspect that less than 100meters its worthless. i'd use it to shell any cover that you can't currently occupy like buildings or the edge of a wooded area that would make a good stageing area for your enemy.

todd

the 150 should have a min range of more than the blast radious of the shell by a considerable amount. i suspect that less than 100meters its worthless. i'd use it to shell any cover that you can't currently occupy like buildings or the edge of a wooded area that would make a good stageing area for your enemy.

todd

• 4 weeks later...

a report from the front.

the game is progressing slowly due to illness (no, not a mental condition this time) so it's only turn 4 at the moment.

i decided to stick to my original plan and just pack my troops closely and try to ambush the commies near the victory flags. to just sit down, drink some vodka and let them walk in.

the 150ers haven't fired a single shot yet (hey, it takes 2 turns for them to setup), but otherwise it's been good. i have wasted about 10 commie squads while my own losses are 3 men (toast to them, may they reign in valhalla!). there are no worries. lots of ammo, vodka & commies left.

ok, here's a map. kinda small, i know, but it will have to do for now.

25447.jpg

ha, love that stürm platoon position at the north. flanking poor sobs trying to flank me from the north *grin*

This is COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC, but still... Undead raindeer cavalry... did you know that there actually was a swedish king that used moose (elk) cavalry? not to a great sucess tho since they caused almost as many casualties to their own troops as the enemy (they were VERY battle-shy and ran away fast) but it scared the Sh*te out of the enemy :D

• 4 weeks later...

the battle is over. the enemy has surrendered :D

i set my lines some 40 meters off from two victory locations, so that my troops would ambush the enemy infantry taking over the victory locations.

and it worked. enemy infantry (two companies) got wasted around the two flags. the 150mm guns both scored only 7 kills, but their fire broke the soviet morale, causing commies run in panic to the fire of my infantry squads & MG42s.

actually, direct hit from a 150mm gun didn't do much damage to a soviet pioneer squad. the squad just got a nice crater to hide in smile.gif

the only moment of pain was when a T-34/85 flanked from south-west: i lost my stug :( needless to say, the T-34 got KOed fast by the panzerfausts of my squads :mad:

other losses were one gun tracktor (grrr!) and a stürm squad. most squads had only 0-2 losses.

it seems 150mm guns are very hard to detect until they start firing. even then they are pretty invisible. on these conditions smile.gif

i will definately use these pretty guns in future battles.