New Poster with special forces query

Hi all.

I've been lurking here since before CMBO and finally I have gathered enough courage to post .

First :

(fanboy part of post)

I own CMBO , CMBB and the CMBB strat guide.

All of these products are great. I also like the interest you take in your customers here at Battlefront.com (Madmatt, Steve ...you know who you are ;) ).

All this has been said before but you need to be reminded of this so you keep up the good work.

Secondly:

(Actual question)

This is to all the grogs out there (you are also great by the way). Like all questions this has probably been asked before and yes I know where the search button is ;) , but I feel my first post need a question so :

Did special forces exist during ww2 (like Spetsnaz) ?

I'm guessing no,(special forces seems more adapted to todays mobile forces) but It would be nice if you proved me wrong.

I suppose paratroopers can qualify as special forces... Well tell me what you think .

/Salkin

Swedish CM player

I think the British Commandos and American Rangers could also qualify as Special Forces during WWII. Even though they were often used as conventional infantry, being thrown where the fire was hottest. At Anzio for example. They also were employed in "elite forces" type missions such as the Ranger assault on Point-du-Hoc during the Normandy Invasion.

[ January 03, 2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Splinty ]

The SAS was the First and still the best: They started out in Africa when Rommel and his Afrika corp arrived my details arent spot on but I believe they first appeared as Special Recon Unit somethick like that and their job was to Recon the German airfields but they first Became a Special Force when a bright english Gentleman ( cant remember name ) came up with the idea to use this force to Disrupt airfields. On the first mission/test a Platoon of highly skilled troops raided an Airfield at night. 1 squad was responsible for over watch and covering fire while the other 2 squads went for the aircraft to cut a long story short it was a complete victory they mangaged to get in and destroy 20 aircraft and one of theses troops came to a remainding plane with no explosives or Granades so he hoped into the little 109 and started to tear at the instruments with his hands he eventually destroyed the complete interior with nothing but his hands then returning to his comrades. This is what started the Special Forces and their attitude. the story is rusty so somebody might be able to fill in

Sorry for the spelling

Who Dares Wins-SAS

Hello

Special Boat Squdron (SBS) shares a common history and several historical members with the SAS. SBS was active in Mediterranean and far east.

The Boom Patrol Detachment conducted limpet raids on Klepper canoes in coastal France and surveyed the beach landings (together with USN) prior to D-day.

X-boat (midget submarines) crews and charioteers (a chariot is a ridable torpedo) made heroic attacks on enemy ships. Most wel known is propably the X-boat attack on Tirpitz in Norway. Italians were particularly inventive with chariots and sunk several british ships in Alexandria and Gibraltar.

Skorzeny and his airborne commandos certainly count as special forces. Especially their daring raid to free the imprisonned Mussolini.

These came to my mind.

Doc