is this how the AI sees the world?

Odd little graphics bug:

multiflags1.jpg

multiflags2.jpg

Not Photoshopped beyond cropping, shrinking, and saving as JPEGs, I promise -- this has popped up maybe half a dozen times, now, with no discernable pattern. It can appear spontaneously during a game or at startup, in a PBEM turn or vs. the AI. Happily, it goes away if I quit and restart. The flags are not fixed and will appear and disappear as I move or rotate the viewpoint. Running 1.02 on a stock dual-533 Mac.

But the flags always seem to appear in areas of cover, so I can't help but wonder: do you suppose this is how the AI "sees" the game board and plans its movements?

I get this weird graphic effect quite frequently. If I try to turn the flags off, they turn into shell craters that are standing on their sides. The flags are always reverse mirror images of actual flags on the board. I can get rid of the effect by exiting CMBB and then reopening the game.

I'm not sure if it's computer specific. Mine is a 17" G4 iMac with a Geforce4 video driver. It crops up fairly frequently but I view it merely as a distraction. It doesn't affect gameplay. The one accompanying affect I've noticed is that along with the flags, the images are a little blurry. This is most noticable on the land mine signs. When the multi-flags crop up, the signs are to blurry to be readable. I'd be curious to know if others have this problem and also if anyone has found a way of getting rid of it.

Have you modded your terrain lately? Sometimes on my mac a bailed-out tank commander will start wearing funky random graphics instead of his uniform. That's what I think is happening to you. Perhaps one particular tree bmp is going funky and switching graphics a random, I'd bet.

Rollstoy:

I guess it just mistakes the contested flag bitmap for one of the tree bitmaps ...

Stranger things have happened, ah reckon. <shrug>

CombinedArms:

I get this weird graphic effect quite frequently. If I try to turn the flags off, they turn into shell craters that are standing on their sides.

I'll try to remember to turn off the flags next time it happens and see if I get the same result.

MikeyD:

Have you modded your terrain lately?

Nope. Come to think of it, I believe the only CMBB mods I have installed to date are the terrain grids.

Sometimes on my mac a bailed-out tank commander will start wearing funky random graphics instead of his uniform.
Anything like the Paisleygrenadier, or do your fashion-forward troops have their own thang goin' on?

That issue usually occurs as a result of a video card running out of available VRAM or it *indicates* that it is running out of VRAM so it reuses an existing BMP texture already in its memory.

What type of video card do you have?

Try and make sure that CMBB is run as the only application and is also the *first* game that you run after you boot up. It is possible that other applications/games are not properly releasing resources and filling up the available VRAM which makes CMBB think there is far less to use than there should be.

Madmatt

Madmatt:

Try and make sure that CMBB is run as the only application and is also the *first* game that you run after you boot up.

Oooooh-ho! So that's how it is, eh? Not enough that we play the game, but it has to be the first thing we fire up every day. Clever, lads -- fiendishly clever!

...And on a serious note, thanks for the tip. I'm running CMBB on the stock graphics card in my G4, which is no doubt barely adequate to the task.