Soviets vs Italians 7

Romanians vs Hungarians 4

Polish vs Germans 4

Partisans vs Hungarians 2

11 Other combinations 6

Sub Total 433

No nationalities shown 13*

Total 446

*most of these are scenarios outside of the Eastern Front, Korea, China and the Spanish Civil War.

What no Partisans versus Finnish? The world will not be complete unless that is done!

Hans

Three more pieces of data and I shall leave you in peace.

Why would you do this Hans?

Looking for areas where scenarios haven't been built and also to see where they have, trying to see where the "taste" lies.

Types of battles

145 are Axis actions

54 assaults

80 attack

11 probe

153 meeting engagements

139 are Allied actions

54 assaults

76 attack

9 probe

The even structure of this surprizes me!!

Historical 93

Semi-historical 210

Fictional 143

And finally for amusement:

German battles by troop type

Inf 224

Mech 131

Cav 13

Mtn 5

Security 9

SS inf 11

SS mech 32

SS cav 3

SS mtn 0 (what! somebody better get cracking)

luft 4

Luft mech 1

Airborne 7

Volkstrum 4

Ski 0

Useless MON DIEU

Accountant never : ] :eek:

Actually from a scenario designing angle it is useful it shows where designer at least are interested in and where there are "holes" places and areas design has not taken place yet.......what no SS mountain troops in scenario -

Originally posted by Seanachai:

You PC apologist. Of course there's something wrong with that! And I, for one, am sick of people pretending there's not.

Just couldn't leave this touchy subject alone, could you?? Sir, for that remark I'd normally challenge you to a CMBB QB, on behalf of bean-counters everywhere. However, I supect that you, like the rest of the denizens of Minnesota, have a difficult time using a computer keyboard now that winter has come again and your hands are encased in mittens for the next 10 months.

That reminds me: Is it true that in Minnesota the decimal system never caught on, because everyone wearing mittens could only count to 4? Just curious. tongue.gif

Originally posted by Hans:

Gentlemen

Please take the pengy and mastergoodle subdribble outside please.

If you don't you may find your threads filled with unnecessary knowledge and facts.

Thanks

My apologies for diluting your thread. I place all the blame squarely on Seanachai. :D

Actually the analysis you have performed is very interesting. I am curious why you only researched the German battles by troop type, but not the Soviets. Any chance of a follow-up on the Soviets, since by your figures they are in 407 of the total 446 scenarios? :confused:

Gentlemen

Please take the pengy and mastergoodle subdribble outside please.

If you don't you may find your threads filled with unnecessary knowledge and facts.

Thanks

Bah! Putting knowledge and facts in the Goodale thread would be like putting Michelangelo's David in a dog kennel. After they found they couldn't eat it or fight with it, they'd simply lift their legs on it.

The Peng Thread, on the other hand, appreciates knowledge and facts.

Originally posted by bardosy:

Because the Finnish never fought against partisans.

Innnnnncorrect! There were plenty of Partisan patrols sent on sabotage missions into Finnish territory, and at times they were pursued by Finnish forces. But none of what I've read about them would be suitable for an interesting scenario.

Hmmm... I believe the partisans who made raids into Finnish territory during the Continuation War were different from the partisans who operated in the German occupied territories. The former were formations of the regular Red Army, whereas the latter were irregulars. I might be wrong, however...

I know practically nothing about how the Soviets organized their partisan activities in general. But I think there is a widespread myth that Soviet partisans would have spontaneously started resisting the occupiers, which can confuse us here. Partisan movement was always organized from the top, but the main difference between those operating behind the German lines and those behind the Finnish lines, is that in southern regions there was plenty of Russian population who would willingly or unwillingly support the partisans.

This meant that there partisans could sustain their operations for years, recruiting new fighters and collecting tax (supplies) from the populace. But up north, there was either the occupied areas of eastern Karelia, which was just wilderness with very few Russian civilians left from evacuation (and many of those left were put into concentration camps (not in the Nazi death camp sense) anyway), or areas populated by enemy civilians. Under such conditions any partisan operations had to be more like long-range patrols, returning back to own lines after some time to get replacements and supplies and bring prisoners.

Volunteers were chosen for these trips, and there were both Russians as well as Finns and Karelians (Karelians are a "lost tribe" of Finns, so to say). I think they mostly came from the Karelian Republic, because the organisation of partisan activities in the area was given to the local authorities (I have read the war memoirs of the then president of the Karelian Republic (who explains as to why Finns succeeded so well in 1941, that almost all of Finnish soldiers carried a SMG) as well as a study on partisan activities in Pielisjärvi area).

• 5 months later...

...what no SS mountain troops in scenario -

Actually, I have two scenarios I was playing with, but never finished: One set during the Lapland War (obvious why I didn't finish (heh!) that one, since CMBB won't let you play in Finland during that period), and the other a race for the peak of Mt. Elbrus (highest point in USSR) in the Caucasus.

SS mtn 0 (what! somebody better get cracking)

Not true, one of the battles from the Barbrossa pack has SS mountain troops in Finland no less. :D Its called, CSDT-B-8 Nord. One of the SS Mountain Divisions was called Nord, and later SS Nordland Division.

[ January 29, 2004, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Hey this oldie but a goodie has come back

Thanks Sergei, I can know die in peace!

Sorry Panzerman must have missed it on the depot

Trommelfeur, well the datas about 6 months old and missing about 250 scenarios!

What no grog out there who has time to update?