Other games like SC

horseman

I would like to see a SC2 that will force me to adjust my plans to the unexpected.

An SC2 where I can invade Ireland 10 times without incident, but on the 11th time it causes Spain to join the Axis.

An SC2 where my Axis conquest of Egypt will occassionaly cause Turkey to conquer Iraq, thus throwing a monkey wrench into my plans for opening a southern front into Russia.

An SC2 where the Franco will occassionaly reposition his troops to better defend Spain and my opponent can send him military aid.

An SC2 where I can spend MPPs to finance partisans in an Axis occupied Spain.

An SC2 where an Axis conquest of Switzerland leads to the formation of Swis Partisan units in 1 out of 5 games.

An SC2 where I find out that my perfect Russian invasion which cut-off southern Russia from Moscow is threatened by Turkey providing supplies to Russia, thus allowing them to build units in Southern Russia.

An SC2 where the US pacific fleet suddenly appears to engage the invasion force sailing towards the US East Coast.

An SC2 where the German subs from the 1939 scenario sometime start the game in the South Atlantic, and perhaps there are three subs in the Atlantic as opposed to 2.

An SC2 where an Australian/New Zealand Corps can be sent to Cairo or the South Atlantic.

In general I want to see a game that will cause me to respond to the unexpected.

[ November 14, 2003, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the more recent post here have started to expand SC to HOI type dimensions...certain aspect of HOI might be good to utilize, but in fact there is a game on the horizon which my be an SC/HOI hybrid, namely World in Flames in which Matrix Games is now working on the AI...SCII should expand it's strengths, work on its' weak points, enlarge the European theater map a bit, but still be SC on gaming philosophy. At least that is what I'm hoping for, how it is turning out is still anyone's guess....

A "maybe" can be interpreted MANY different ways, depending on inflection or body language or what kind of "smiley" is chosen?

For instance:

Maybe meaning... NO, like when you are 9 years old and ask for a baseball glove that costs $200. Never going to happen, T-ball babe, but rather than destroy, once and for all time a young Joe Dimaggio's dreams, the parents will say... "maybe." :rolleyes:

Maybe meaning... MAYBE, as when you are 12 years old and tearing up the baby-faced pitchers in Little League... and you ask for the same baseball glove, only it now cost $250.00 and the bread-winner of the family has just gotten a new raise, so-o-o-o...

Maybe meaning... PROBABLY, like when you are 15 years old and Babe Ruth League has NEVER seen the like... you ask for the same baseball glove (... now $300.00) EXCEPT... you have been "scouted" by the St Louis Cardinals and the parents are beginning to wonder... can the Wonder Boy ACTUALLY become a bonus-baby Pro... think of it! A Condo on the water... in cool-cool Honolulu! :cool:

Maybe meaning... YES, as when you are 18 years old and ask for a ride to the airport in the old clanking 4-door family sedan... since you just signed a lucrative contract with the Louisville Sluggers, and the parents are beyond... wondering, they KNOW it's now time to begin considing that long desired trip to visit and chant... OM, OMMM with the most famous Llama in Tibet.

So.

What is the case here? With Hubert's "maybe."

I would say... hmmmmm, MAYBE... meaning... you'll just have to wait and see, somebody ELSE bought that one last model of the baseball glove you always hoped and dreamed about, and so...

How about? that Marv Throneberry model instead? :D

Sure, we know he wasn't any Yankee Clipper, BUT... didn't he once get honorable mention for... best and most animated cheers! from the bench, or something? ;)

Just thought I'd *bump* this thread back up.

Based on the earlier days of the thread, I'd gotten COS and gotten DosBox on my machine to run it...

A couple of quick observations:

1. I now see where the inspiration (at least!) for SC came from!!!

2. After playing COS, I _appreciate_ Hubert and the entire SC crew for taking the same idea and making is *significantly* more fun and user friendly.

3. COS makes me realize a few things I may have heard before that other people want in SC... but now I understand why... at least a modicum of politics... the "strike" command. Although I haven't quite figured it now (no, I HAVEN'T read the manual yet either), the ability to take multiple units and attack at the same time.

Overall, again, COS makes me appreciate SC and just how good it really is. Sure, there are bits and pieces I'd like to see different in SC, but most all my thoughts are nit-picky or MY preference.

Just random thoughts on Football Saturday. Go Michigan. No, I don't care for them too much, but I AM a USC fan!! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Go, and go Tigers (Clemson) tonight!

J

I have seen several "classics" that were likely for their time quite good.

But hmm, this is now, not then.

I have COS, and the fact remains, in today terms, it is not even remotely likely to appear on my computer.

I liked SC because it made me think it was computerised A3R. It is of course NOT A3R.

But I stayed almost entirely thanks to Hubert's skill with designing a user friendly program.

I am not here because I like a game with no stacking or inability to move and not attack till after another unit has moved etc etc.

I am here, because inspite of SC's design qualities we might think lack hard core realism, this game can hardly be beat for simplicity and ease of play.

I think maaaaaaaaybe if you paid me oh I guess at least 15 bucks an hour, I would play HoI for you. But otherwise, the game would not be easy enough for me to call it "fun" (even if you discount the fact that HoI likely will never approach the success SC has achieved).

Jon Patrick

Thanks for mentioning DosBox, never knew it existed.

Downloaded version 6.0 but will need to toy with it. Looks like one of those things that needs to be handcranked before it kicks in, and then it's a manual shift transmission. Ahhhh nostalgia! ;)

Microsoft can't provide a function to enable it's own former operating system to run it's own early programs! Who can expect anything that reasonable from people who say hit start to stop? :D

[ November 22, 2003, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

In XP there's a Program Compatiblity Wizard that allows you to select the compatiblity for a program: W95, W98, NT, ME, or W2000. Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Program Compatibility Wizard. This is most often used for playing games written for earlier versions of Windows.

[ November 23, 2003, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Edwin

Thanks for the tip -- but does it work for DOS programs, especially the ones that are real basic memory hogs? My XP manual said I shouldn't even attempt to run them because they might screw up the settings!

Also, as I understand it, anything faster than the Pentium I machines can't run most of them properly; the newer machines are literally 1000x faster than the processors some of those programs were written for.

None of this is immediately important to me as I've still got my old Pentium I machine, but it would still be good to know how to run them on faster models.

Buy? Excuse me, but did you say, a-hem, Buy !!!!!!!!!!!

You have us confused with the people on the east side of the Atlantic. Thanks to our Leaders prolonged economic brilliance (they must be brilliant, they all become a lot richer in office), we on this side of the lake wait for things to wash up on the shore, after you guys have discarded them!

[ November 23, 2003, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Originally posted by xwormwood:

BUY THE WINDOWS-VERSION OF PANZER GENERAL, and your problem is solved ...

I have the Windows version but on XP, it runs too fast, the sound is all screwed up, and I cannot effectively control the mouse as it jumps around like a blind cat in the Fulton Fish Market..I thought using the compatibility Wizard for Win95 or Win98 would help but it doesn't..

I have Panzer General (part of a wargame compilation set from pre 95 days) and have no idea what a Windows version is supposed to look like actually.

But my question is this.

If you don't own PG or this Windows version, buying it would be well kinda dumb.

If you don't own PG, or the Windows version, then just go and get PG2. It's the same game more or less, but at least it runs.

And considering the age of both games, you won't be out of pocket enough to even care.

I would suggest CD Access.com myself. I have seen all sorts of old classics still on sale there.

I've picked up several copies of both Panzer General and Pacific General for Windows as either throw-ins with other games, or as part of budget software bundles of older titles.

I don't know if those games are even on the market as individual items at this time.

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1:

I have Panzer General (part of a wargame compilation set from pre 95 days) and have no idea what a Windows version is supposed to look like actually.

But my question is this.

If you don't own PG or this Windows version, buying it would be well kinda dumb.

If you don't own PG, or the Windows version, then just go and get PG2. It's the same game more or less, but at least it runs.

And considering the age of both games, you won't be out of pocket enough to even care.

I would suggest CD Access.com myself. I have seen all sorts of old classics still on sale there.

PGII is good and I do still play it, but PGI is still my favorite...there are some very good Russian battles with a fairly high unit count that are still fun to play...

• 3 weeks later...

If you are facing compatibility problems with old DOS games in WinXP try program called:

Abandon Loader, it's helps you set different parameters to programs and you can adjust game speed too.

VDMSounds helps fix those sound problems.

I found these when tried to play Pools of Radiance from back 1988 and they work fine.

I haven't tested these with strategy games yet.

Both are freeware.

Can be downloaded from:

Downloads: http://www.angelfire.com/realm/zeroone

VDMSound: http://ntvdm.cjb.net for more information.

Hope this helps

If random events are included in SC2, just make sure they can be toggled on or off. This way anyone that doesn't like "luck" in their game, can exclude random events.

You could even have a slider in options that controls how often you want special events to occur. It could be set to zero, minimal, average, frequent, & all the time.

Thus you might have a range of special events happening anywhere from 0% up to 50% of the time.

Now lets say Hubert, that you decide not to include random events. You could do this instead. Have an option to increase the range of readiness for the U.S. and Russia when neutral companies have war declared on them. If normal increase was country A 4-7% & country B 10-15% for two different neutrals, have an option to make that increase be "A" 2-12% & "B" 7-20%.