Unit Names

pzgndr

OK, I'm bored waiting for a PBEM turn to roll in. Here's an idea. How difficult would it be to add a list of historic unit designations and ship names to the game so new units get named with either a random designation or the next one in the queue? That would be preferable to all the no-name units you and the AI end up building during a game, unless you enjoy keeping track of such things on the Russian Front in 1942. Players could still rename units to anything they want. Certainly not a top priority type of thing, but could be nice in a patch one of these days. Yeas or nays?

Originally posted by Bill Macon:

How difficult would it be to add a list of historic unit designations and ship names to the game so new units get named with either a random designation or the next one in the queue?

Bill:

Most definitely a "yea" on that one. I hate to sound (smell?) anal, but I often name many of my units that go up in experience or that I plan to use for specific attacks/invasions, etc.

If this could be done, it would add some nice color to the game....even if they weren't the "historical" names. Random ones would be great (e.g., 7th Mountaineer Corps, XXII PanzerArmee, 1st Exiled Finnish Bakers Brigade, et. al.).

- Holzem

I delete unit names if I think it might give the enemy a clue as to my deployments. Is that malta AF still there? Where did that corps in the med come from? I have not started using active deception yet. Such as renaming the home AF with the Malta AF name.

Gorski

Good point Gorski, those names could reveal too much - or perhaps you could trick a player and rename a new airfleet "Malta Fleet" and rename original Malta Fleet to something else.

It would be good to also rename HQ's and have ability to edit them. I liked the idea of being able to convert expeirended armies into new HQ's as an upgrade option. (that may be a bit hard to program though)

Hey Hubert, sounds like the pressure is on you to try to make this happen one of these days! ;)

Of course, there may still be some players down in southern Florida who didn't get a chance to vote on this yet, or their votes got miscounted, or they couldn't understand what was being suggested in the first place, or whatever. :eek:

As originally posted by Bill Macon:

Of course, there may still be some players down in southern Florida who didn't get a chance to vote on this yet, or their votes got miscounted, or they couldn't understand what was being suggested in the first place, or whatever. :eek:

... either that, or they got in there, that polling booth place, uh huh, they did, and dithered around, and got to realizing that NEITHER candidate was worth -- dry hawked spit in a hurricane wind,

and so they decided to Protest! and commenced writing in -- the name of the celebrity they knew of best, as these sorts are running for office all over the parking-lot these days in this Glitz America, and they figured one old celeb or actor is just as good as any a' them,

and so -- started all over to write in M I C K E Y R O O N E Y with a lipstick or eyebrow pencil (this to indicate much consternation -- about all the lick they got left), but then got half way through and got their backs up! they did,

and said to themselves -- Themselves! the hell with norms and status and taboo and conformity and polite convention (and... falsely smiling poll-booth Watchers) and decided to be real revolutionaries! like that Chi or Che guy and finally wrote in M I C K E Y M O U S E instead...

To clarify the above post concerning election trends in America:

I was NOT in any way criticizing Bill's excellent idea for including unit names.

Like most of you, I am primarily interested in war-games and related discussion.

I hereby apologize if anyone was offended by my "political" comments. smile.gif

Tony, I apologize for obviously cheap and untested humor. And I apologize for apologizing. The persons responsible for the previous misconduct have been sacked.

The persons responsible for the sacking have just been sacked.

The moose in scene 38 has just been sacked.

As for Immer Etwas ... we're taking away his keyboard as a public service. Friends don't let friends type drunk. ;)