Slings and Arrows from the Great Unwashed

It has been said before, but it should be said again:

Thanks, Hubert, for putting up with all the questions, quibbles and quirks of the forum.

It must be vexing to hear all this input about a game that none of us has even seen. Putting up with all the "help" you are getting is duly appreciated.

Just on a positive note,I was just having another look at the map again,well the more i keep looking at it the more it grows on you.I think it has a nice crisp and clean appeal to it.

Beginning to look forward to doing battle on it.

Agreed. My initial reactions to some of the features in SC were along the lines of "Well, wouldn't it be better if you added this and that and this..."

Now I am hoping that the game maintains the elegance of simplicity. Looking at my dusty old collection of board war games, the ones I really played (and sometimes still do) are the ones that are fairly easy to digest in a sitting and/or could be played solitaire. If SC has a solid AI, is playable in one extended sitting and has enough choices to make it replayable, I will be one happy camper.

BTW, board war games that are close to the scale of SC that I am slightly familiar with include 3rd Reich, Hitler's War, and World in Flames. Others I haven't gotten to know would include Axis & Allies: Europe, Krieg!, and War in Europe. Are there any others that I'm missing?

I also want to add praise for Hubert and SC. It must appear that none of us are happy with how things look at this point... but I think in actuality we are all VERY happy... otherwise we would not care enough to be offering "help" or "advice."

Personally, if the game was released tommorrow, with all the stuff that we already KNOW is going to be in it, I would be happy!

On the board wargame note, I just tossed out a game that had about a million little cardboard pieces, and was AT LEAST the entire war in europe. It was made by SSI or Avalon Hill. I wish I could remember the name of it. Anyhoo, it sat in my closet for years, and I had no one to play it with... so finally out of frustration I tossed it. Now I'll be able to play SC soon! YAY!!!

Hope that wasn't a good copy of War In Europe.

Old SPI games, esp. "The Monsters", can get a pretty good price on e-bay.

I saw a punched but good copy of WIE once for 75 USD, and an unpunched one for close to 200 USD.

I paid 15 USD for my copy in the early 80s.

As originally posted by Wilhammer:

Hope that wasn't a good copy of War In Europe.

Old SPI games, esp. "The Monsters", can get a pretty good price on e-bay

So very true. Best to hold on to anything that is old (... other than galoshes or simmering resentments) and most especially wargames!

I have quite a few of those stacked in the closet, and if it is permitted, I will let this forum know if I intend to sell any of them (please advise).

Thanks, Hubert, for putting up with all the questions, quibbles and quirks of the forum.

Yes, thank you! Just remember, a complaining troop is a happy troop. If we didn't say anything, you'd think we didn't care. :D

I certainly do hope that Hubert hasn't taken any of my comments too harshly or as an attempt to slam the game. I think with all new games, we see a little bit of info, get all excited about what we think the game is rather than what it really is about. I think SC will be a wonderful implementation of what the designer had in mind, even if it isn't exactly what others were hoping for or envisioned.

Good luck with the game.