Demo Tech Support Thread?

Might be nice for Hubert if we consolidated all the Tech issues in one thread. If you are having any trouble with the demo you could post your problem and your system specs here.

So far no problems on my splindly little 350 Mhz Aptiva with a Prophet Kyro graphics card.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, not a biggie really, but I have some problems with the mouse in the meny systems. Sometimes it takes awfully long for the game to "register" my clicks. If I click on an option it can sometimes take as long as 30 seconds before the game registers it and performs the action. Within the game itself everything is fine, the problem only occurs in the meny system, and I've only experienced it with SC.

Sys specs: PIII 700, 265mb RAM, GF2 64mb, Win98 SE

~Henric Edwards

[ May 21, 2002, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: daft ]

Originally posted by daft:

Well, not a biggie really, but I have some problems with the mouse in the meny systems. Sometimes it takes awfully long for the game to "register" my clicks. If I click on an option it can sometimes take as long as 30 seconds before the game registers it and performs the action. Within the game itself everything is fine, the problem only occurs in the meny system, and I've only experienced it with SC.

Sys specs: PIII 700, 265mb RAM, GF2 64mb, Win98 SE

~Henric Edwards

I have the same problem, I think it has something to do with the sound. One time the game crashed, but the music kept playing. When I went back into the game, the clicks then registered fine but the sound option in the options menu was greyed out. :confused:

Okay, first off, the unzipping... this is the install process, right? Nothing furhter needs to be done? Because the game did not show up in my menu system at all, I had to go find sc.exe in my folders and click it. Anyway, when I clicked it I can get to the start screen alright, but when I click "New game" not too much happens lol.

Anyway, I did not have time to try it again.

P4 2.0 processer, Windows XP, Geforce2 mx, creative audigy 5.1, and 512 DDR ram. Ok so I'm a hardware freak :rolleyes: . Anyhow when I open the game everything runs fine fast and smooth except the graphics. I'm getting blurry double images and wavey screeen effect :eek: . This has only happened to me once before and that was with Civ3 however thier latest patch cleared the problem :cool: . I hope this can be patched before the game comes out. I'm really drolling to sink my teeth into your fine gem :D

[ May 21, 2002, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Der_Waggs ]

I tried looking at the large map display and only got garbage, but the country flags showed up fine. That's on a PII 333 with WinME. I also noticed delays with mouse clicks for actions, not bad at first but seemed to get worse as time went on. No other problems loading and running the game.

Downloaded at home and work. No problems running it on either system so far.

My friend downloaded but he couldn't get it to run in a nonstandard directory.

He reinstalled in the default dir and it worked. He also said when he quit that all his desktop icons were messed up because he runs his desktop in a different resolution than the game. Will there be resolution choices in the final version, or are there now?

I too had the problem with my desktop icons being moved about; I run in 1152x800(something like that), and it appears the game changes the desktop resolution to 1024x768 before executing; it does change it back to what I had set before, but the icons were shifted in the first mode. It also reset the refresh rate on my system (a GeForce3-based card) from "optimal" to "default" (which seemed to be very low), but I only noticed this on exit. Otherwise, no problems for me at all.

Originally posted by maurfal:

I can't play the demo.

When I click the sc.exe it appaers a black screeen (with music) but anything else...

Pentium III 450, 256 ram, XP

As a workaround for now please do the following:

- change your system setting to 1024x768

- set your refresh rate (Hz) to the highest setting at this resolution

- launch the game

This seems to have fixed it for others and should help.

Hubert

P.S. for anyone else that has encountered this problem, please send me a bug report to support@furysoftware.com with your system specs and the original resolution settings and refresh

rate before any changes were made. Thanks!

Originally posted by Bill Macon:

I tried looking at the large map display and only got garbage, but the country flags showed up fine. That's on a PII 333 with WinME. I also noticed delays with mouse clicks for actions, not bad at first but seemed to get worse as time went on. No other problems loading and running the game.

I had the same problem once. When I was developing on win98 it ran fine, then when I switched to win2000 the large map appeared as garbage as well. I loaded the latest driver for my video card and the problem seems to have disapeared. As a workaround for now slowing your grahpics card down will have it appear properly, but it does get really slow ;)

well I always run 1024 X 768 100 refresh rate. anyhow thge game works great in win98/me compatability mode and still seems fast :D Not sure why the same settings won't work in XP mode and I have the latest drivers. "shrugs" well it running and man is this game great smile.gif I havn't had this much fun since I bought my first AH game. Any future plans on a pacific based game too :cool:

Suggestion: I think it would be nice to be able to stack a air,naval and land unit on the same hex.

I'm running XP Pro at 1024 x 768 and I played thru the entire demo. Glad it ended when it did because the RED HORDE was marching in on me.

No problems here.

Athlon 700

256 RAM

I have an old GeForce card, latest NVIDIA drivers.

Onboard audio

Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

Okay, first off, the unzipping... this is the install process, right? Nothing furhter needs to be done? Because the game did not show up in my menu system at all, I had to go find sc.exe in my folders and click it. Anyway, when I clicked it I can get to the start screen alright, but when I click "New game" not too much happens lol.

Anyway, I did not have time to try it again.

Has anyone encountered my problem? I unzip the files, clickity click on sc.exe the game starts up, and then I try to begin a new game and it hangs up on me... I have to alt-cntrl-del the game away and then my system gets hung up... I am on Win 98 SE, PIII 450 MHz, 192 MB RAM....

32 MB ATI Rage Fury

Kruger -

It should be pretty close to the same set of steps for 98SE. Go to Control pane, then "display", then click around the tabs until you find the one which sets the resolution and color depth (it will have choices in a drop down menu like "256 colors", "16-bit" color, "32-bit" color. The game has to be run on at least 16-bit color. The resolution needs to be 1064 x 768. Look around and see if there is some sort of button on that screen for "Advanced" or "adapter". That should bring you to another box with (possibly) additional tabs on it. Just screw around in there and see if there is one for "monitor" (maybe not), and there should be something in there that deals with the refresh rate. I know that is vague as hell but somewhere in that array of stuff in "control panel" > "display"> is something that will allow you to set the refresh rate. There maybe some sort of control in there that says something about "optimize refresh rate". Fool around there and set it to something greater than 60 HZ. The problem you're having is the same one I had. Alternative, just delete the whole mess and DL the new demo which has been modified to avoid the problem.

I have had a similar problem with the screen going black and just music. The problem is I cannot get out of this. Even after a reboot I get the windows 2000 start up screen and then black. Even the cursor does not show. I can start it in Safe mode but how do I reset my resolution and refresh rate from safe mode.

I have a Win2k pentium 3 ~500MHz, GeForce3 Ti 200 graphics card. Does anyone know where in the registry the refresh rate and resolution are set?

This is rather urgent as my PC is unusable now.