German HQ units

TrionDelta

I was looking through the list of german Generals. And to my dismay i didnt find the one german General who deserved to be there the most... Heinz Guderian. In my opinion the leading cause of early german success. Mainly beacuse of his iniuative the germans had realtivley good armor at the out set along with "modern" tactics.

By the end of the war Guderian had fought in france, and russia to name a few places and had become "Chief" of the generaling staff, although hitler wanted control for himself.

Mayb if hitler hadnt been such a psychopathic control freak Guderain might have been able to atain a favorable peace.

As originally posted by TrionDelta:

I was looking through the list of german Generals. And to my dismay i didnt find the one german General who deserved to be there the most... Heinz Guderian.

I agree, and had campaigned for Hurryin' Heinz Guderian's inclusion some time ago, only to be reminded that he never did have a command at the Army level. :(

I didn't think then, and don't think now that this criterion should exclude -- the one man MOST responsible for the Blitzkreig , since he actively promoted the new and terrific tank tactics all during the 30s. Without his efforts there may well have been no eventual lightning-strike triumph in France.

Sometimes you might include -- a more symbolic representative of a Gestalt-like war philosophy, without compromising a full-faith to game-scale, yes? smile.gif

I agree, and had campaigned for Hurryin' Heinz Guderian's inclusion some time ago, only to be reminded that he never did have a command at the Army level.
thats not exactly true he command army group center during the russian campaing and later in the war he commanded another attack in russia. Also in the 30's he was only at the rank of col. and commanded a brigade

Considering all of the generals on both sides who were replaced during the course of the war for one reason or another, shouldn't some sort of random HQ reorganization be considered, maybe 1%? Since HQ experience depends on subordinate unit performance, maybe poor performance could increase the chance of removing a leader from play and replacing him with another one available in the force pool (either better or worse), maybe 5% chance or more until/unless performance improves. If removed, provide a chance he's put back into the force pool for reuse, like Patton. Otherwise, assume he's permanently retired or KIA. Interesting possibilities here. Comments?

As originally posted by Bill Macon:

Considering all of the generals on both sides who were replaced during the course of the war for one reason or another, shouldn't some sort of random HQ reorganization be considered...

I really like this idea, but now I am liking so many different things thus far not included that I can't remember them all...

I would guess that 3% or so sounds about right, so that would mean hometown disgrace for some incompetent or just unlucky general -- how often?

Let's see, full game there are roughly 160 turns (27 per year Xs 6 yrs) for Germany and Britain anyway, so that would be... about 5 sackings... too many?

All right, 1 or 2% is non-intrusive, providing some (could be VERY critical, particularly if it occurs while a desperate offensive is ongoing) interesting variability in game play, and I am usually all in favor of that. :cool:

Originally posted by TrionDelta:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I agree, and had campaigned for Hurryin' Heinz Guderian's inclusion some time ago, only to be reminded that he never did have a command at the Army level.

thats not exactly true he command army group center during the russian campaing and later in the war he commanded another attack in russia. Also in the 30's he was only at the rank of col. and commanded a brigade</font>

Originally posted by TrionDelta:

My source is the book he wrote called Panzer leader. u can pick it up at any descent store.

I've read it. REad some other stuff too and for the life of me I can find no mention anywherethat he ever commanded "Army Group Center."

<edit> I just got home and looked it up in Panzer Leader. Guderian left a list of his appointments in the appendice... You might have been confused by the notation of 'Army group Guderian' in France, but that was a Corps sized unit.</edit>

Though in the other thread someone mentioned that he was close enough to be a nice whatif, which after tihnking about I agreed with. As a Colonel-General, he was a step from getting his baton and red stripe and his inclusion in the game would be a nice choice.

Also thought that since he did such a great job on improvements with training and produciton, it might be a nice thing to be able to buy him and then assign him to Industrial Tech to get an immediate boost in that area.

[ August 01, 2002, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Compassion ]

Originally posted by Immer Etwas:

I really like this idea

Me too, especially if the General loses all his experience points once he goes back into the pool. I also like the idea suggested in another thread of not knowing what General you will get when you buy one. So you would buy a General at a set price and the game will randomly assign one to you. You might end up with Manstein or you might end up with Leeb. Life is like a box of Generals ... you never know what you're gonna get. ;)

gorski wrote:

Vote no on proposition 'general sacking'. smile.gif

[Monty Python]Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.[/Monty Python] :D

- Chris