What about map and graphics ?

mechanix

This game could have been great if it has had a realistic map and made beautiful graphics. It looks like wargames on my Amstrad cpc 6128 15 years ago. I hope it will be cheaper than other games. It should be a freeware like war in russia of matrix games. It is far from combat mission.

I believe I heard the game will sell for $25. Not really a big hit to the wallet if you ask me and I am far from rich. And this game wasnt ment to be CM on any scale so comparing those graphics to these is like comparing how to play the shortstop position to the entire game of baseball. Point being...if you like the demo....great buy the game if you want to when it is released. If you dont like the demo...dont spend your $25. There are still many people who do like the game and will buy it regardless of its tiny flaws that can and should be overlooked. There is no perfect game, if there was I wouldnt be anxiously awaiting this one :D

For games of this nature I think SC has good enough graphics. The game engine is more important to me. If the game sucks I dont care how pretty it is. Why would anyone spend so much time and effort and put out a game for free? I guess I am selfish but I like to get paid for my work. :D And at 25$ I think this game will be a bargain.

So far it is looking pretty good to me, at least it is a major update from the DOS era graphics of the last wave of grand strategic games. It reminds me a little of SSI's Imperialism, and I thought those graphics were perfect for the type of game that was. Also, I must admit it is hard to be too picky when a game like this has not been released in the last 6 years.

Heck, 25 bucks is a bargain anyway you look at it. I paid a lot more for any number of games, most of which had a thoroughly idiotic AI. I want to be able to play against the computer without it being a walkover every time. SC povides this.

Having pretty graphics is a plus only if it isn't at the sacrifice of gameplay. Too often this is lost on the major game developers, looking for a fast buck. Hubert has already demonstrated the kind of dedication to customer service that is exemplary. Gameplay in the demo is never the same, indicating that the full version will have replay value. Try saying that about all the games that have come before.

Now, when is it coming out? I'm ready to buy!

Only problem I see with the graphics/map is:

1) I'd love for the map to have 2-3 more rows across the bottom for fighting in Africa

2) 3-4 more columns added in the Atlantic for sub warfare

I know Hubert has answered/addressed these issues and future enhancement may help this area.

The game would be improved tremendously by a major graphics overhaul.

First, the medals used to show unit experiance are generic, they should be replaced by the correct campaign medals, depending on the theater where they are earned, and there should be a cut scene showing the decorations being awarded, with the national anthem of the nation in question playing in the background.

Second, the sound file for infantry moving needs to be modified, so that the boots of different countries make authentic sounds. No hobnails for the US, for gosh sakes!

Third, the combat explosions and sounds for combat resolution are not good enough. I say go for a cutscene showing the leaders of the various nations fighting in their underwear in a pit with clubs, sort of as a tribute to "All Quiet on the Western Front", since this would be a visual treat and make an artistic statement about the inhumanity of war.

Fourth, if we can't get the correct graphics for the individual infantrymen (to include webgear that changes as new models were adapted), vehicles, aircraft and ships, then go with an abstraction with some pizazz, say images from vintage Warner Brothers Looney Toons propaganda cartoons. "Hare meets Herr", played out on the SC battlefield, with Daffy Duck pillaging France in '40! That's what we need!

Lastly, is there a way to get "Yellow Submarine" to play when the Subs dive from attack? That would be awesome!

Hey BB, you need to at least put a ;) in there so the New folks know your kidding. You are kidding, right? :D

I do like that "Yellow Submarine idea"! ;)

BloodyBucket

Member # 3876

posted June 09, 2002 01:02 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, the medals used to show unit experiance are generic, they should be replaced by the correct campaign medals, depending on the theater where they are earned, and there should be a cut scene showing the decorations being awarded, with the national anthem of the nation in question playing in the background.

Second, the sound file for infantry moving needs to be modified, so that the boots of different countries make authentic sounds. No hobnails for the US, for gosh sakes!

Third, the combat explosions and sounds for combat resolution are not good enough. I say go for a cutscene showing the leaders of the various nations fighting in their underwear in a pit with clubs, sort of as a tribute to "All Quiet on the Western Front", since this would be a visual treat and make an artistic statement about the inhumanity of war.

Fourth, if we can't get the correct graphics for the individual infantrymen (to include webgear that changes as new models were adapted), vehicles, aircraft and ships, then go with an abstraction with some pizazz, say images from vintage Warner Brothers Looney Toons propaganda cartoons. "Hare meets Herr", played out on the SC battlefield, with Daffy Duck pillaging France in '40! That's what we need!

Lastly, is there a way to get "Yellow Submarine" to play when the Subs dive from attack? That would be awesome!

--------------------

'He's a cheery old card', grunted Harry to Jack

As they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.

But he did for them both by his plan of attack

Too funny! smile.gif I think it beats your previous one about lack of Japanese to run Italian subs or something like that ;)

Hubert

I felt that when I looked at the screen shots,

it would have been nice to have hi res graphics.

If I recall the Ardennes Offensive game although

older looked farely pleasing to the eye. Yes game

play is the first aspect, but would it be to hard

to spruce up the graphics afterward?

We have been waiting for a good campiagn game for

a long time now, so I hope for all the best with

this one! smile.gif

CheerZ!

Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

.....Fourth, if we can't get the correct graphics for the individual infantrymen (to include webgear that changes as new models were adapted), vehicles, aircraft and ships, then go with an abstraction with some pizazz, say images from vintage Warner Brothers Looney Toons propaganda cartoons. "Hare meets Herr", played out on the SC battlefield, with Daffy Duck pillaging France in '40! That's what we need!

I'll supply the first new unit icon, (sorry we got Donald instead of Daffy:

G_WD_Donald_Duck_01.gif