I can´t wait! :)

Straha

... there, now I said it, too. smile.gif

To turn this thread into something more useful (last minute): what are you guys looking for most in SC? For me it´s the battle of the North Atlantic, and actually having to ship the units overseas. Probably this is because I used to play COS more than Hicom or 3R, and in COS all things related to sea warfare were too abstracted. smile.gif

Straha

[ May 13, 2002, 02:57 AM: Message edited by: Straha ]

what are you guys looking for most in SC?
My experience is primarily with 3R and A3R, with some interest in WiF. Never played Hicom, but did try COS some. Never touched A&A with its abstractions. 3R/A3R has its abstractions also, but overall plays very well. I just don't have the time/space to set up the game anymore and prefer the PC, but 3R PC never lived up to expectations.

So, with SC I look forward to a competent AI, FOW, research, and greater resolution for operational battles. SuperTed's AARs have been great. SC looks like a fun game to play. I still have a few nagging concerns about the economic model, seasonal effects, specialized units like airborne, and the map, but these are things Hubert can address in the future. I fully expect to get more than $25 worth of enjoyment out of SC and look forward to playing it.

Being the only Modern War minded of my old gaming group, I've never had the chance to play any of the old classic WWII strategy games.

So, all I'm really looking for in SC is a chance to experience a WWII grand strategy game, with some decent amount of simulation... OR I should say, exactly what SC is supposed to be! (Yay me!)

Methinks I'll easily get my $25 worth!

A3R and all its variants (including the new GW2000) can be played on a PC with the help of Warplanner (there is no AI though).

This solves the problem with limited space but unfortunately not the problem with limited time but it's all about prioritizing...

Wolfpack,

I used to love Clash of Steel. I downloaded it from underdogs.org but cant get a boot disk to work properly so the game won't run. Can you help me with this? How did you get the game to run? Can you copy and paste the command lines in your boot disk? (or tell me how you got it to work if you use something different). I have windows XP BTW.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, George

What an interesting tip! I looked at old.the-underdogs.org and saw old those old games available for download, with crack codes included. I saw COS has a Future Edition which I don't think I played before. Maybe worth a download and playtime while I wait for SC. Thanks!

Originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

I'm hoping that it's at least as good as the Europe Aflame scenario for TOAW.

I did not play this one. But I already found playing "Fall Gelb" in TOAW more a chore than fun, and more a war of attrition than of blitzing, too.

And let's not forget that TOAW is on the operational level. So ... is Europe Aflame not simply too huge in the end?

Straha

Originally posted by George-III:

I used to love Clash of Steel. I downloaded it from underdogs.org but cant get a boot disk to work properly so the game won't run.

I don't use a boot disk but in order to get COS to work on Win XP you must set the EMS memory allocation on all exe files to about 9mb (i don't now the minimum but 9 works) and run a program to edit the cos2.exe.

The program can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/clashofsteel/ under files. The filename is tppatch.zip and fixes an old turbo pascal command used in the game (that gives you the 200 error)

Originally posted by Swift:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by George-III:

I used to love Clash of Steel. I downloaded it from underdogs.org but cant get a boot disk to work properly so the game won't run.

I don't use a boot disk but in order to get COS to work on Win XP you must set the EMS memory allocation on all exe files to about 9mb (i don't now the minimum but 9 works) and run a program to edit the cos2.exe.

The program can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/clashofsteel/ under files. The filename is tppatch.zip and fixes an old turbo pascal command used in the game (that gives you the 200 error)</font>

Originally posted by Straha:

The future edition is the same as the original with the exception that it was recompiled and many, many bugs are removed.

Straha

What bugs would those be? The only difference I've noticed between the future edition and the original is that the scenario selection screen in the future edition has dates of 20xx instead of 19xx. :rolleyes:

The program can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/clashofsteel/ under files. The filename is tppatch.zip and fixes an old turbo pascal command used in the game (that gives you the 200 error)

Hmmm...I have DLed the Future edition, changed the .exe to allocate 9MB EMS, and applied the patch (tppatch). Still getting the runtime error. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Preacher

Originally posted by Preacher:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I don't use a boot disk but in order to get COS to work on Win XP you must set the EMS memory allocation on all exe files to about 9mb (i don't now the minimum but 9 works) and run a program to edit the cos2.exe.

Hmmm...I have DLed the Future edition, changed the .exe to allocate 9MB EMS, and applied the patch (tppatch). Still getting the runtime error. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Preacher</font>

Future edition is totally overhauled, but you will not "see" it outright (have a look at the files, though). There ARE many bugs in 1.1., somewhere on the net (I think at the grognards) you can find a file where they are all listed. The AI is better, too. To not use it is a big mistake, but do whatever you please, gentlemen.

I give you just one reason why the FE is better, but this alone should be enough:

In 1.1. the feature was added that the USSR and the Allies can be played separately. Well, this doesn´t work, because if you take the Allies and let the AI take over the USSR, the USSR will never produce anything. Future edition fixes this.

The runtime patch only works with the old game, though. Doesn´t matter. You don´t need that patch.

What you need is a good slowdown program. Please note that most of the freebies like moslo etc. do not work with very fast computers and COS. What works is the program SlowDown. I use it with a PIII700, no problems. A search with google should lead you to download links.

Straha

[ May 14, 2002, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: Straha ]

BB: I use a dosbox now, too. Have sound and can save. I know of the "no sound" problem, though, from other computers. Put the command

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T1

into your autoexe.bat. Should help (as long as you have a SB compatible card). Do you have a folder "save"? What happens when you try to save?

Straha

Originally posted by Straha:

Future edition is totally overhauled, but you will not "see" it outright (have a look at the files, though). There ARE many bugs in 1.1., somewhere on the net (I think at the grognards) you can find a file where they are all listed. The AI is better, too. To not use it is a big mistake, but do whatever you please, gentlemen.

I give you just one reason why the FE is better, but this alone should be enough:

In 1.1. the feature was added that the USSR and the Allies can be played separately. Well, this doesn´t work, because if you take the Allies and let the AI take over the USSR, the USSR will never produce anything. Future edition fixes this.

The runtime patch only works with the old game, though. Doesn´t matter. You don´t need that patch.

What you need is a good slowdown program. Please note that most of the freebies like moslo etc. do not work with very fast computers and COS. What works is the program SlowDown. I use it with a PIII700, no problems. A search with google should lead you to download links.

Straha

While all that is true, I rarely play the allies anyway...just more fun for me to take out the "little worms". Plus, for some reason, I cannot get any of the slow down programs to work on my computer at all. I know a bunch of people who use moslo, and love it, so if it works for you, cool, but I can't get it going here. I've never actually seen the bug list for 1.1, I knew the one with Russia, which was a bit annoying the first time I tried it...now I remember why I never tried it again. smile.gif