I can´t wait! :)

Straha

Originally posted by Straha:

And let's not forget that TOAW is on the operational level. So ... is Europe Aflame not simply too huge in the end?

Straha

Not if you play it as PBEM. Sure, it has it's limitations, but I can still land paras on Crete and blow bridges behind the French front, right Titan. ;) Playing by PBEM allows you to use a few player-honored rules to make up for the chinks in the strategic layer. They are subdued enough so as not to interfere with game play.

You should give EA a try some time. Right now, we're in the Sitzkrieg, and I've taken out Poland, Norway, Denmark, Yugoslavia, and have occupied northern Greece. The scenario allows you many options, including an Eastern Crusade, where Germany launched an early invasion of the USSR with her eastern European allies (using an early, pre-war buildup of forces of course). My opponent could have opted to extend the Maginot line from Switzerland to the sea if he wanted to, but it would have cost him in other areas. In short, there are a lot of the options that people here are talking about.

I'm not touting EA as the end-all, be-all of strategic WWII wargames, as I certainly hope someone will take it to the next level. Rather, I hope that SC will strive to at least meet the standard of play that I see set in EA. After all, a newer game should be an improvement on something as old as a scenario for TOAW!

If SC can't do at least a few of these options, it's a no-go for me. :(

BTW, if you're finding it to be a war of attrition, you're doing something wrong. ;) The key to Fall Gelb is movement, baby.

[ May 14, 2002, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Mannheim Tanker ]

I am no expert, but you might try going to the "future" file, right click, select properties/program, select "advanced" and check the "prevent ms-dos based programs from detecting windows" box.

Speaking of being no expert, how do I modify my "autoexe.bat." settings. I don't know where to begin. redface.gif

StugIII: The patch does not work with the future edition, though.

Suvorov: get yourself the program SlowDown (search with google). Run it before opening the dosbox.

Btw: while COS needs ems, 1024k are more than enough. smile.gif

BB: the autoexec.bat is in the rootdirectory C:\. It can be edited with notepad, wordpad or the "edit" command in DOS.

Straha

[ May 15, 2002, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: Straha ]

Straha,

I got slowdown and the future edition. I ran the install program and the game installed ok. Then I changed the ems memory to 9000 or abouts. Then I ran slowdown.. or I think I ran it.. I just double-clicked on slowdown.com and it seemed to work but Im not sure. Anyway I still get the error. Im sorry to ask again but I just cant figure this out to save my life. Please help. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance, George

[ May 15, 2002, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: George-III ]

George: once you have started SlowDown, push the sliders to the far end (just to be sure, if it works you can adjust that later). Don´t touch the program then (don´t close it or the effect will be lost).

Don´t click on "future.exe", for this will give back an error. Instead, open the dosbox manually (NOT dosmode, else SlowDown will stop working. Therefore, you will have to set the real ems ram in your config.sys, not in "properties". 1024K are enough.) In the dosbox, change the dir to the dir with future edition. Start the proggy by typing "future.exe" (and pressing "return"). Should work now.

Straha

Originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Straha:

And let's not forget that TOAW is on the operational level. So ... is Europe Aflame not simply too huge in the end?

Straha

Not if you play it as PBEM. Sure, it has it's limitations, but I can still land paras on Crete and blow bridges behind the French front, right Titan. ;)

I'm not touting EA as the end-all, be-all of strategic WWII wargames, as I certainly hope someone will take it to the next level. Rather, I hope that SC will strive to at least meet the standard of play that I see set in EA. After all, a newer game should be an improvement on something as old as a scenario for TOAW!

BTW, if you're finding it to be a war of attrition, you're doing something wrong. ;) The key to Fall Gelb is movement, baby.</font>