How Does Research Work?

Playing the Germans, as soon as I destroyed France and Low Countries, I bought five research points and put them into armour. For the rest of the game, nothing happened.

Next game, I put 1 point in and still nothing happened throughout the game. How does this work?

Well, it works when it wants to. Sometimes it doesn't seem to get you anything. I'm assuming it's some kind of random chance, influenced by the number of points put into each category.

I researched radar AAA, with three points, and got nothing. Then, I researched jet power (1 point), and got it the very next turn. Just having one level increase caused the AI to abandon strategic bombing on all ports/cities covered with improved air units, and he had three bomber groups.

I've tried heavy tanks, A-A radar, and heavy bombers, three points in each, and gotten nothing. Then again, I've tried rockets, industrial production, and jet power, one point each, and gotten all but rockets within 2 turns.

Originally posted by R_Leete:

Well, it works when it wants to. Sometimes it doesn't seem to get you anything. I'm assuming it's some kind of random chance, influenced by the number of points put into each category.

I researched radar AAA, with three points, and got nothing. Then, I researched jet power (1 point), and got it the very next turn. Just having one level increase caused the AI to abandon strategic bombing on all ports/cities covered with improved air units, and he had three bomber groups.

I've tried heavy tanks, A-A radar, and heavy bombers, three points in each, and gotten nothing. Then again, I've tried rockets, industrial production, and jet power, one point each, and gotten all but rockets within 2 turns.

RL,

Did you read my above post? It is a statement of fact, not speculation.

Last night I researched Jet Power and immediately got it. My luck continued the next few turns with increases up to 13 without any additional investments (I didn't know this was possible).

The icons on my air units changed to swept wing --262's I guess. Sound effects also changed on the attack from prop to jet engines.

Surprising discovery. Looking forward to other advances in the full game.

I was typing my post when you posted, SuperTed. I was also just commenting on how it appeared to work, without having any of your insider knowledge.

RL,

No problems. I apologize if my comments come off as sounding a bit harsh.

SuperTed, no apology necessary at all. I was simply trying to clarify, so I don't appear to be a complete boob.

Now that you aren't doing any more AARs, can you give us some updates on the tweaks Hubert has been making? Have there been any changes that had to be reversed, due to play unbalancing?

increases up to 13 without any additional investments (I didn't know this was possible)
So, once we purchase a research point we have it forever and I assume can then +/- each area? Is the limit 5 points total or just 5 per area? I raised a question previously about actually building a new unit type and gaining an experience point before being able to research the next level. In this case, sounds like Germans jumped to level 3 jets without any field experience with level 1 or 2.

What's been the overall feedback from playtesting the campaign game? Can we expect reasonable advances in technology or does this lead to bizarre alternate histories in 1943-45? Heck, Level 3 jets in 1941 sounds bizarre enough. This is a concern. :confused:

Also, does any research transfer to allies or does everyone have to research on their own? Some things like tanks would represent industry gearing up for new production lines and would be different, but stuff like sonar might be transferable.

SuperTed, no apology necessary at all. I was simply trying to clarify, so I don't appear to be a complete boob.

Now that you aren't doing any more AARs, can you give us some updates on the tweaks Hubert has been making? Have there been any changes that had to be reversed, due to play unbalancing?

RL,

Actually, I am still working on conquering Britain and writing the next installment. It's going to be monstrous! :eek:

Things have slowed a lot since the release of the demo, but I expect to have it done by the end of next week.

Bill,

Originally posted by Bill Macon:

So, once we purchase a research point we have it forever and I assume can then +/- each area?

[/QB]

Correct.

Is the limit 5 points total or just 5 per area?

The limit is 10 overall and 5 per area.

I raised a question previously about actually building a new unit type and gaining an experience point before being able to research the next level. In this case, sounds like Germans jumped to level 3 jets without any field experience with level 1 or 2.

Field experience has no bearing.

What's been the overall feedback from playtesting the campaign game? Can we expect reasonable advances in technology or does this lead to bizarre alternate histories in 1943-45? Heck, Level 3 jets in 1941 sounds bizarre enough. This is a concern. :confused:

If the Germans (or anybody else) had heavily researched jet technology, there is no reason to believe they might not have appeared in greater numbers in 1941. Likewise, if a player would like to invest heavily in an area, it is within the realm of possibilities that ahistoric things will transpire. That's part of the appeal of the research model. smile.gif

Also, does any research transfer to allies or does everyone have to research on their own? Some things like tanks would represent industry gearing up for new production lines and would be different, but stuff like sonar might be transferable.

Each nation is on its own.

Thanks Ted. The 10-point limit should moderate things somewhat and unreasonably rapid advances should be statistically rare. However, 1 research point could improbably reap level 5 development within a couple of months. Yikes! But overall play should be balanced. OK.

Originally posted by Bill Macon:

Thanks Ted. The 10-point limit should moderate things somewhat and unreasonably rapid advances should be statistically rare. However, 1 research point could improbably reap level 5 development within a couple of months. Yikes! But overall play should be balanced. OK.

Bill,

Even if a player has 5 points alocated to one area, that's still only a 25% chance of gaining one research level per turn. Having said that, if they have spent the 1250 MPPs for this, an accelerated program is defintiely not too bizarre.

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

Yes you can reallocate at no penalty, and you can reclaim at 50% original value of investment

Thanks. I just had a chance to run the demo again and figure that out.

You might want to add a small penalty for reallocating, scientists get a little ticked/disorganized when you suddenly switch them from sub research to long range airplanes.