Anyone play as Allies yet in full game?

George-III

Everyone seems to be trying the Axis in thier first games (I was planning on doing that as well BTW smile.gif ). So I was wondering if anyone has tried the allies yet. If so what do you think? Is it easy to win on default? or do you have to give the computer a bonus. Also, I was wondering if the computer tried any unusual strategies as Axis.

I am in the midst of the 1939 game as the allies, default, FOW.

The Germans have built no subs, and have had not much luck in Russia but I am having the devils own time kicking the Italians out of Africa. The Axis seems totally uninterested in Sealion, but perhaps that is because I very agressively destroyed thier naval forces.

Very addicting game. The impulse to play just one more turn is irresistable.

I've played out one and a half games as the Allies and have had no difficulty beating the Germans by late 44, without any need to invade France. I think it's time to jack up the AI advantages and play on a higher level.

This is a great game. And I'd love to see Hubert try his hand at the Pacific variant some day or better yet, the global war! Imagine being the US player trying to balance out the ETO vs PTO!

I played a full game as Allies(default settings with FOW on) and the Italians took Paris and Yugo. I thought that was odd.

Very little activity in the West. The East was a different story. Germany attacked USSR but never capped a city. I outproduced them and fought a static line for awhile then the dam broke and the Reds drove all the way to the Atlantic.

Game over end of 43, I think I got a 161 score or something.

i have played two full games as the allies , the first one ,i took out the german navy early while there air fleets was busy with france ,so they didnt even try norway , after that i moved to the med and took out italy's navy and they never rebuilt any of it, the russian's was pushed back for awhile but a d-day landing in early 43 made them pull every thing back to fight the brits and US , i won in early 44,

next game was really odd , i took there navy's out early like before and they didnt rebuild however italy had level 5 tanks,jets,anti tank, and heavy bombers by the end of the game , whats wierd is all they ever built was corps never one tank or fighter, the war ended in late 43 with russia taking berlin and the us taking rome, both games the finn's stayed in finland and would never attack,

africa is such a pain to take, there is not enuff room to mass your attack but it can be done

A GREAT game as the Allies for me yesterday and today. I think I had the Germans at +1 and for a while they were a BEAST. They got up to level 5 fighters in early '43 and built about 500 of them. Nothing like seeing your damned Soviet tank groups cut down like so much summer wheat.

Nevertheless, I whacked the German navy about fairly early and was able to implement my pet "America places Scandinavia Under its Protection" idea.

Though Norway and Sweden were neutral I invaded them each in turn before landing in Finland. Fortuitously, as the "North American Expeditionary Force" of 4 US and a Canadian army reached the Leningrad front JUST IN TIME. Though the Germans had been steadily pushing back the USSR, this help from the West seemed to tip the scales. The dam burst and the next thing I knew I was hunting the last vestiges of the Wehrmacht into France from the East in (oddly enough) May 1945.

Axis only invaded Denamrk in both of my "Allied" games.

Concur on getting the Italians out of Libya - major pain in the rear and I should not have bothered diverting the forces that I did to that task.

Finally, I must say that the huge campaign in Russia had to have been the most fun I have ever had playing a wargame.

Thumbs up, WAY WAY up to HC/BB. The full version surpasses my lofty expectations.

I agree, the fighting in the East is a big, bloody blast. I played the Allies in my first game using defaults and FOW but will give the Axis +1 in my next game as I think this is appropriate. The only problem I have is that the Italians will also get the +1 advantage and this is certainly not appropriate. It might be a pain to program in a patch but it would be a very nice addition if we could assign an advantage to only certain countries. I guess this might be possible with the editor but dont really know.

First game is as Allies, on +1, 1939... Tried to invade Germany with the French, thinking the German's were too thin in the West...

Well, I really stubbed my toe in doing it...

Was driven back quickly, and lost France quicker than I should have otherwise...

Having a blast!

Originally posted by Aloid:

First game is as Allies, on +1, 1939... Tried to invade Germany with the French, thinking the German's were too thin in the West...

Well, I really stubbed my toe in doing it...

Was driven back quickly, and lost France quicker than I should have otherwise...

Having a blast!

Aloid,

+1 makes a big difference, eh? ;)

Played as the Allies first with default + FOW + historical timetable + war in Siberia (so I don't get the Siberian reinforcements).

Held France for a while but when it was clear she would fall, I got the brits the hell out instead of taking more casualties.

Fell back and regrouped in Russia and eventually managed a static defense. I bought Zukov on the first turn and he helped hold the middle.

As soon as US joined, I took them straight to Western France. Couldn't take Paris but created a second front.

Made a small 3rd front in Holland with the Britts.

Eventually, the Germans collapsed in the East and West almost simultaneously. We met in Berlin with the Britts finnally taking it from the north.

Then my guys tripped over each other on their way to Rome!

In the Mediteranian, I didn't do much. Just collected all of the Navy around Malta and tried to pick off individual Italian ships under the protection of the Malta Air Force.

Awesome game, my wife was begging me to come out of the office but I just kept sayin, "OK, I'll be right out, just let me finish this turn!"

Originally posted by Carl Von Mannerheim:

u know, i think the "default" setting should be the germans +1, after all they were better trained.

I fully agree, Axis+1 was the way to go in the demo, and I'm sure it is the same in the full game.

However, +2 is too much and makes for a frustrating game.

Also, I would choose no scorched earth, and maybe also +1 difficulty level to let them get a bit more booty from plundering. I let the Russians have the Siberian forces,though.

Naturally, all this applies only if the human plays the Allies. smile.gif

Btw did anyone set Russia on neutral yet when playing the Allies? I would be interested to hear in how that works out.

Straha