The Grandmaster Event: (Best of 5 games). GAME #1 Terif (Axis) vs Zapp, ZAPP WON

zappsweden

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game continues

July 18, 1943:

Russian tank in Kharkov survives 3 airstrikes + 3 army attacks at str 1.

Kopenhagen lost to Allies, french forces land in Norwegen. Airbattles start in the west, UK battleship under attack, interception battles during both turns.

Russia finally get some jet techs worth fighting with smile.gif

I have not being able to stall Axis so far in the east. Now I will have 6 Russian air fleets rdy to intercept Axis. Russia has not bought many units lately because I could not counter hence needed only corps. Having corps+air might be better than having armies and tanks because I will slow down axis air support.

Axis have 8 air fleets.

Allies have 14 air fleets and 3 carriers.

Allied turn:

No russian counterattack this turn - the last 2 russian armies at the front choose to repair instead. Axis forces on the way towards the Sevastopol mines.

In the west Allies conquer Oslo due to an Axis mistake (should have covered the coastal hex east of the city..), Axis prepares defence of Sweden.

This time only 2 airbattles over Germany, seems Allies run out of operational air and have to repair their battered AFs now smile.gif . German forces prepare a counterattack with several veteran armies near Berlin and Prague.

Things are looking better now for Axis smile.gif .

Zapp suddenly has to go (no "can play the whole sunday" any more) and saves the game - will be continued probably next weekend.

Allies still have advantage.

My 3 carriers are all at 4 stars and I will now outnumber axis in air both in the east and in the west (russia has been gaining some techs lately).

Axis must keep air west since allies are close to Berlin (without capital, no buying units) and that means russia can now have a mass air group to stall axis.

USA also have Jet L3 vs German Jet L2 and Allies can kill more units west per turn than axis kill in the east now.

Norway Mine will also fall and tipping the MPP advantage in allied favour.

Another thing is, Russia+USA+UK can now outproduce Germany in terms of air (reinforcing) so Germany wont have air superiority for sure. I now have to make sure I make small steps and fill with corps in the west to avoid all out counters. When German armies start dying in the west, that would tip the scale and be the end of the game. However, possibilities with tech advances or russian frontline breaking is still possibly so the advantage is clear but not deceisive.

Another possibility is that Axis operate everything west, get L3 Jets and can outgun Allies long enough to start picking off HQ's since Russian offensive will be slow due to the high amount of corps.

If Axis decide to put all air west they can surely stall the Allies but then Russia would use all its air starting to finish of German units or force them to leave their conquered cities.

Something that further gives a little extra for Allies is the fact that Allies have some very experienced ships that can inflict big damage if Axis attack near the Germany coast. Without air superiority, Axis will have a tough job finding time for eliminating those ships.

Also, Germany have no navy whatsoever.

[ June 26, 2005, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

August 1943:

No russian airpresence - is it only a myth ?

Russian army survives at str 2 - german armies reinforce after the hard but victorious battle for Kharkov.

In the west the first US corps bites the dust - german armies supported by air goes in the offensive.

August 29, 1943:

Russian air moves to Voronezh - german air retreats a bit to not be destroyed in direct attacks. 2 russian armies heavily damaged but survive.

In the west the 4 star UK carriers from Norway arrive near Kiel for the battle around Berlin and turn the tide for Allies.

Now additionally to USA also UK shows Jets lv 3...Germany still researching with 5 Jet-chits + catch-up (in contrary to UK) and like throughout the game behind...this way Axis will have no chance to finally win the big war :cool:

Newest message: USA developed Jets 4 last turn and uses it now in Germany vs the jet 2 german fighters...

[ July 02, 2005, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: Terif ]

September 19, 1943:

Now also Russia developed Jets 3...unbelievable...Germany with its 5 chits still at lv 2...

Against such a technical superiority Germany has no chance any more and surrenders.

Most of its ground forces still in good shape, but now outnumbered, outproduced and without any chance in any airfight both in east and west there is no hope any more.

Time for the next war where techs and luck will hopefully be distributed a bit more even... ;)

Originally posted by Terif:

Yep - if I would have lost it because of a good opponent... :D but this is my first game lost only to tech and other luck factors... tongue.gif

hahaha. Performance and RAI-ZAS brought to you by Zapp Productions with CEO Zapp Skywalker :D

For game #2 Yoda... you don't know whats coming... for sure.

Something legendary is gonna happen. :cool:

Summary of the game:

This was a good game with lots of action all around the board, a helluva fight.

I cannot remember all the details because the games started so long time ago.

Zapp wins Game #1 and leads 1-0 (best out of 5)

[ July 02, 2005, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

@Terif - you remember your old saying: 'luck doesn't matter in the long run' ...

From my SC gaming experience - if you have luck exactly when you need it, it is game over for the opponent.

What 'long run' if allied X-wing fighters don't give you a chance to even play?

You can fight an opponent but never your own bad luck.

@Hellraiser:

Yep, luck doesn´t matter in the long run - at least not in over 95% of the games ;) . But nevertheless in extreme cases like here it makes the difference.

However, in a series of games it again evens out (or should, if it is really "luck"), cause nobody can have maximum luck throughout the whole game and in every game.

@Blashy:

A no tech game will be different but quite unbalancing. In SC you need tech to even out the axis advantage in the long run. Otherwise Allies would have not much chances to turn the tide in 1942-47 since their carriers would remain useless and it would be impossible to kill enemy AFs in 2 airbattles (important for a successful D-day since there you need to be able to kill enemy AFs that attacked your transports). So no tech would be another huge advantage for Axis.