Super Pershing can't load why?

Guest Babra

I don't understand your question. What do you mean by "can't load"?

The bitmap doesn't come up? The main gun won't fire? It's not in the vehicle list available for a scenario and you're looking for it?

If it's the latter, is the scenario date late enough that it would be available?

I also remember a thread here which was comparing whether the super pershing was better in the game than the regular, and the fact that the super could not carry infantry was mentioned several times

Remember, there were only a couple of Super Pershings in the European Theatre. In order to protect them they had lots of extra armour welded onto the front. This made the turret front heavy, so big, wing-like counter-weights were added. I'd guess that when the turret traversed, anybody sat on the back of the hull would get clouted by these honking great weights, so that's why CMBO doesn't allow them to load up infantry. Also, because they were so rare, you'd bet the guy charged with looking after one wouldn't be too happy about a load of sweaty GI's crawling all over his pride and joy. There's a book called "Deathtraps" or something like that with all this in, but I can't remember who it's by.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Monty's Double:

There's a book called "Deathtraps" or something like that with all this in, but I can't remember who it's by. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Death Traps' was authored by Belton Y. Cooper.

ISBN: 0-89141-722-2

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Monty's Double:

Remember, there were only a couple of Super Pershings in the European Theatre. In order to protect them they had lots of extra armour welded onto the front. This made the turret front heavy, so big, wing-like counter-weights were added. I'd guess that when the turret traversed, anybody sat on the back of the hull would get clouted by these honking great weights, so that's why CMBO doesn't allow them to load up infantry. Also, because they were so rare, you'd bet the guy charged with looking after one wouldn't be too happy about a load of sweaty GI's crawling all over his pride and joy. There's a book called "Deathtraps" or something like that with all this in, but I can't remember who it's by.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly two were made, but I don't think they ever got to Europe.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ciks:

so... why are they included in CM at all?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After putting the Pershing in they already had the model done, except for a couple of small modifications, so it was easy to put the SP in. I would have prefered the M16 myself, but so it goes.

If you check out Mr Cooper's book (thanks Scooter) you'll see that at least one did make it into combat, and fired a total of one shot in anger. The crew never found out what they hit, but what ever it was never troubled them again. Personally, I would never pick this super-beastie in a QB, but it's kinda fun for "What if?" scenarios.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeyD:

The ultimate book on the Super Persion would be "Firepower" by Hunnicutt, covering ALL U.S. heavies in amazing detail. The book's as rare a hen's teeth though, so if you find one snap it up!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A truly excellent work and the first Hunnicutt book I purchased many years ago. Amazingly, I found it at the San Diego Aerospace Museum book store! It was (and remains) nicely bound and covered in plastic, library book style.

Hunnicutt is getting on in years. Does anyone have his email address? I hope he does a book about US armored cars (entitled "Greyhound-The story of U.S. armored cars" of course) next. :D