Massive Carnage: bloodiest CM battles you've seen

OK. I had a small CM LAN party last weekend (4 computers, CM QB league) and one of the engagements was truly amazing. Let me explain....

It was a Allied Atack QB, 2000 points, medium sized map, combined arms, auto purchase. The victory flags appeared all concentrated in the middle of a small village in the "center-right" of the map. That damm place was surrounded with an awful lot of obstacles; from marshes to woods, in a quite confined place surrounded by hills. The attacker only had to possible paths to reach the flags; a road all surrounded by woods and a tight valley with several scattered trees.

The computer gave to both sides and awful lot of infantry, tons of arty and several light armour, and a single Cromwell with green guys inside. Both players were rather crappy (I was the german one)

At first I though "come on, easy win", but believe me, I´ve never seen a guy with such an amount of arty, and so much luck using it. He shot blindfolded 4 or 5 times, getting "bulls eye" with everything. But that´s a different thing. Although It was amazing that he bombarded my reserves, that where really far from any of the fronts...

Well, doesn´t matter...

Imagine.... Arty flying everywhere, tons of close range ambushes, firefights, squads anhilating each other inside buildings and all this stuff. All the engagements were really, really nasty, with lots of men down. As the battle progressed, we got in "blood lust mode", and we ended up kind of annoyed, as the objective of both sides was also eliminate as many enemy soldiers as possible...

The outcome: Axis minor victory (I know, it should have been an easy win, but with "banzai" germans...) and a whooping ending stadistics.... more than two thirds of the allies went down, and more than half the krauts were butchered as well. Wow. The worst thing is I did not took any photos... but believe me, the battle was really, really nasty; more "Quake Arena" than CM.

Any other similar experiences? What has been your bloodiest engagement?

come on, but tell the amount of victims. I was trying to get some advice of how to avoid this kind of I WW carnages, as well. Probably I am a hardcore attritionist, but...

Well, I felt bad after the battle!!! Imagine... flattened town.... cratters and fire everywhere.... tons of corpses... and that haunting stadistics.

Brrrrrr...

The last game I played the axis took 60% casualties and the allies took 69% casualties. One german vehicle took out 51 infantry, captured 1 guy, knocked out a Super Pershing, M4A3(76)W, and a Hellcat by itself. That AFV was certainly the only reason the germans were able to pull out a draw.

------------------

Craiger

All your victory flag are belong to me

I once tried to build a Heurtgen Forest operation. All in tall pines, the German front line consisted of a continuous belt of wire and mines backed up by a few MG pillboxes, a few more bunkers, a VG company filling the intervals, and a fair amount of arty with TRPs galore (before the infamous TRP de-nutting). The US had a full battalion of infantry with some arty support.

One day just for grins, I let the AI play the US. It spent the first 1/2 of the battle probing the defenses with 1/2 squads until if found a sally port in the line of wire. This sally port was a re-entrant funnel of wire with scattered mines and TRPs in it, leading to a bunker and a VG rifle platoon in foxholes.

For the 2nd 1/2 of the battle, the AI conducted a human wave attack into this sally port. All the German arty was falling on the TRPs covering it and anything that got through that faced point blank smallarms fire AND the US arty that was falling on the German defenders. Despite this fire, the German grunts were disappearing so a reserve SMG platoon hustled about 400m to reinforce them.

At the end of the battle, the VG rifle platoon was wiped out, the SMG platoon was about 1/2 gone, and the bunker was down a crewman. But inside the funnel, an area about 40m x 60m, lay the corpses of virtually an entire US rifle battalion. It looked like that Brit trench on Spion Kop in the Boer War, truly an "acre of massacre".

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

For true casualties, play my Verdun scenario, and on turn #1, have all the French troops charge the German trenches. This would be historical. Bodies everywhere....

Rune

Subvet:

The last game I played the axis took 60% casualties and the allies took 69% casualties. One german vehicle took out 51 infantry, captured 1 guy, knocked out a Super Pershing, M4A3(76)W, and a Hellcat by itself. That AFV was certainly the only reason the germans were able to pull out a draw.

Not as great as yours, but my regular Hetzer still kicked some ass!

View?u=1505600&a=11366327&p=44220748&Sequence=0

BTW- three of those vacant hulls up by the house (1 to the left, three to the right) were his trophies. The M4A1 to the far right was killed by another Hetzer. One more Hetzer took out two Stuarts. Lost those two to the Jumbo and a 'zook.

------------------

Ah scheist.

[This message has been edited by Minnesota Joe (edited 03-19-2001).]

I was in a sadistic mood the other day so I created a scenario that contained a battalion of germans and 6 AFVs in a rather small zone, in a hole (massive surrounding hills), with three buildings.

I surrounded them with about 8 American 105mm VT spotters with a 100 rounds each and 4 240mm spotters with normal allotment.

I know what you are thinking. Sick huh? Hey I just wanted to test US arty.

No need to go into details on this one. It was as bad as you can imagine. Children, don't try this without parental guidance.

Bloodiest scenario I've ever played is BulletHead's Kohima map. The top of Garrisson Hill, the main British defense point, was littered with the bodies of about 2 and a half companies of Brits, and about 2 battalions of Germans standing in for the Japanese. The Germans assaulted piecemiel and both sides dumped large amounts of smaller caliber artillery. All that survived was a couple routed men from the Brits, and a few remnants of some German squads and the machine guns that didn't catch up till after the battle.

CuriH

curih said:

Bloodiest scenario I've ever played is BulletHead's Kohima map. The top of Garrisson Hill, the main British defense point, was littered with the bodies of about 2 and a half companies of Brits, and about 2 battalions of Germans standing in for the Japanese. The Germans assaulted piecemiel and both sides dumped large amounts of smaller caliber artillery. All that survived was a couple routed men from the Brits, and a few remnants of some German squads and the machine guns that didn't catch up till after the battle.

Woohoo! That's the type of result I was looking for--very bloody and very close smile.gif Did this happen in the 3rd version or one of the earlier ones? I lost your email address so have been unable to learn how the 3rd version worked for you.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

scenario: Clash of Eagles

I was German against computer American.

Advancing my Tiger with infantry scattered around. Then came his plane, dropped bomb on a Tiger, missed it. Tiger survived unscatched, but not my unlucky troops. Some 80 men were killed by single bomb(!!! I stopped counting when I came to 70, beeing really depressed) . These bombs have huuuuge blast radius!

OK, this one is for the sick ones...

I wanted to test my PC's performance in huge battles, with lots of arty.

And I got new speakers, had to test them, too. smile.gif

So I set up an axis attack, 5000 points with 200% attacker bonus.

Then I bought 69 105mm FOs...

And lots of infantry for the allies and placed them in a beautiful village.

After several minutes the earth began to shake, fountains of fire rose to the sky and the whole scene looked like armageddon.

And this were just the spotting rounds... biggrin.gif

When all 69 batteries started to fire seriously, the effect cannot be described in words...

I will spare you further details

BUT IT LOOKED SOOOO COOOOOL!

smile.gif

------------------

Klotzen, nicht kleckern!