CM1 : the unfinished business

I was able to take look into the hardcoded unit dbase - to avoid attempts of cheating, I won't tell how - and found several units that was very often asked on the board:

M15 & M16 GMC

T26E4 Super Pershing

T26E5 Assault Pershing

Motorcycles

Pz III

Sturmtiger

Brummbär

and more, also a lot of british and axis units was only shown as 'unfinished vehicle'.

I always thought those will be added with a later patch, but now I've heard that we won't have further patches for CM1 confused.gif

That really makes me unhappy. BTS, please finish the work! If you need help with the graphics, I'm sure a lot of people here would be happy to help with the textures.

------------------

I turned around and looked at my turds. Ah, so many!!! What a real great man must I be to be so full of ****!!!

Charles Bukowski

Guest Germanboy

Well, they have stated they will move on to CM2. I fully support that. If they continue working on CMBO for no return whatsoever, BTS will be bankrupt in next to no time. IMO they have gone beyond the call of duty in improving the game, and shown support and dedication to their customers (i.e. us) that is probably unheard of in the computer gaming industry these days. All this despite the fact that the game in version 1.0 as originally published attracted a number of extremely favourable reviews.

So, I totally disagree with anybody asking for any further improvements to CMBO. Asking anymore of BTS is highly unfair on them IMO, and therefore not on.

My opinion, FWIW.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Originally posted by Germanboy:

So, I totally disagree with anybody asking for any further improvements to CMBO. Asking anymore of BTS is highly unfair on them IMO, and therefore not on.

I agree they shouldn't be expected to put out "add-ons" or implement "new features" but they should continue to "improve" the product in the case of bugs.

I agree completely with the latter two; I see no benefit in delaying CM2 just so people can adopt the ahistorical tactics of backing all their infantry assaults exclusively with anti-aircraft weapons, or adding monster tanks.

I think the difference in "effect" between having a PZ III and a Pz IV would be relatively small given the infantry focus of the game. As much as I would have loved to see a British truck included in the game, I must admit I have yet to find a use for them (though upon rereading an article on Squad Leader's Hill 621 scenario, it struck me that one of the "tactics" available to a player then was to drive the German halftracks to board 3 and park them - acting as roadblocks to slow the Russian assault guns and delaying them for up to an entire turn - gamey to the extreme, but I am tempted to try using trucks as roadblocks in CM now that I read about it!!!! Anyone know if it would work?)

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I agree completely with the latter two; I see no benefit in delaying CM2 just so people can adopt the ahistorical tactics of backing all their infantry assaults exclusively with anti-aircraft weapons,

It would not be an ahistorical tactic. With few planes to shoot at, M16s were often used in the infantry support role, hence their nickname "meatchopper." That said, I also would prefer to see CM2 rather than additional units in CM1

Originally posted by Phantom Rocker:

That really makes me unhappy. BTS, please finish the work! If you need help with the graphics, I'm sure a lot of people here would be happy to help with the textures.

Boy what an assinine statement. To demand BTS to finish the work is the most ridiculous statement I've heard on here in over a year since I've been on here.

BTS has provided TOP-NOTCH customer support since the release with no less than 11 patches. 7 Official and 4 Beta patches. And each patch was a derivative from suggestions from us, the BBS members. What other game company has provided 11 patches in about a 6 month period after the release. Not to mention that these patches were mostly to enhance the gameplay and to fix a few minor bugs that would creep up from time to time.

The game worked fine out of the box. Unlike many other games that come out these days where you need a patch just to get the damn thing to run. BTS has MORE THAN finished their work.

BTW, how did you crack the code anyway? BTS wouldn't be too fond of 3rd party "mods" as such. Each unit is meticuously researched and for a 3rd party to make a new unit would not fly AT ALL.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

Originally posted by Germanboy:

If they continue working on CMBO for no return whatsoever, BTS will be bankrupt in next to no time.

Good point, but if those units are already excisting in the CM engine, why aren't they activated?

------------------

I turned around and looked at my turds. Ah, so many!!! What a real great man must I be to be so full of ****!!!

Charles Bukowski

[This message has been edited by Phantom Rocker (edited 02-14-2001).]

Originally posted by Maximus:

BTW, how did you crack the code anyway? BTS wouldn't be too fond of 3rd party "mods" as such. Each unit is meticuously researched and for a 3rd party to make a new unit would not fly AT ALL.

I haven't said that I cracked it. A friend of me did. To me it sounds like magic smile.gif. I'm also not able to mod the engine. So don't panic.

I didn't meant that BTS made a bad job, I was only wondering why there are so much more (I guess two dozen) units in the engine which are unavailable in the game.

------------------

Charles Bukowski

Originally posted by Maximus:

Boy what an assinine statement. To demand BTS to finish the work is the most ridiculous statement I've heard on here in over a year since I've been on here.

BTS has provided TOP-NOTCH customer support since the release with no less than 11 patches. 7 Official and 4 Beta patches. And each patch was a derivative from suggestions from us, the BBS members. What other game company has provided 11 patches in about a 6 month period after the release. Not to mention that these patches were mostly to enhance the gameplay and to fix a few minor bugs that would creep up from time to time.

The game worked fine out of the box. Unlike many other games that come out these days where you need a patch just to get the damn thing to run. BTS has MORE THAN finished their work.

Whoa!!! Easy Max... you've had a bit too much coffee today big fella! It was a polite, questioning post. Nowhere was the quality or effort of BTS called into question, nor was their customer support... so ease off and chill dude, you'll pop a blood vessel.

wink.gif

Originally posted by vcents:

Nice sig line and profile, Phantom rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by vcents (edited 02-14-2001).]

Thanks, I'm happy that you like it. wink.gif

------------------

Charles Bukowski

Guest Big Time Software

Phantom Rocker wrote:

I was able to take look into the hardcoded unit dbase - to avoid attempts of cheating, I won't tell how

Well, I don't know what you were smoking at the time, but none of these units are "in the engine". Even if there were a "placeholder", there is NO DATA in there. No unit data, no model, no nothing. And no third party can make 3D models since they are compiled using a seperate tool Charles made.

As others have stated, CM1's features are done. Bugs will be fixed on a "critical" basis only. Time to move on to CM2...

Steve

I was able to take look into the hardcoded unit dbase - to avoid attempts of cheating, I won't tell how

Now I understand why Phantom has that sig line!!!

------------------

The only thing worse than fighting with allies is fighting without them. - Churchill

Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Phantom Rocker wrote:

Well, I don't know what you were smoking at the time, but none of these units are "in the engine". Even if there were a "placeholder", there is NO DATA in there. No unit data, no model, no nothing. And no third party can make 3D models since they are compiled using a seperate tool Charles made.

As others have stated, CM1's features are done. Bugs will be fixed on a "critical" basis only. Time to move on to CM2...

Steve

Hey, I only asked question man. No reason to feel pissed and call me a pothead! frown.gif

------------------

Charles Bukowski

Guest Big Time Software

Hey, I only asked question man. No reason to feel pissed and call me a pothead!

Sorry, but your initial post made it appear that we were hiding something and could easily let people have what some have been asking for. I also really don't like it when people tell us to "finish the work", even with a "please" before it. Combat Mission will never have everything in it, and therefore there is a call to be made when the game is "finished". That call has already been made and it is final.

Regarding backwards compatibility... I have said from the start that it is a desired goal, but it is quite possibly not practical to do. We will know more when we get into the thick of programming CM2, but I can tell you we will not harm CM2 in order to make CM1 compatable with it.

Steve

Guest Space Thing

Troll?

C'mon now people.

There is NO need to be insulting about what Phantom Rocker has posted. He technically HAS a point, and in that light, CMBO IS unfinished. Nobody can change that fact -and BTS has already said that they won't. BTS themselves has said that the M16 should've been included. They just ran out of time. Anyways, no one will want it when CM2 comes out.

New people come here ALL of the time and simply share their observations. So what if their comments have been said a dozen+ times before. It is new to them -and they have a right to share it. That is what this discussion Board is all about. If you don't like a post, don't finish reading it. It is real easy to do.

So, ceasefire -OK? Give the guy a break.

Troll? Maybe not an intended troll, but his original posting had the firepower to make a troll-type post.

First off, he lied. He stated he broke into "hardcoded data base" and saw all of these unfinished models, but becuase of his upstanding nature he decided not to share how he did it. Steve refuted it.

Well, I don't know what you were smoking at the time, but none of these units are "in the engine". Even if there were a "placeholder", there is NO DATA in there.
. I restate my previous post that now his sig line makes a lot of sense.

Second, he states in his org post that "unfinished units" were asked for (a lot) on the board. So, he must have searched the board, and in those searches, he must have seen responses from those who new (ie Steve, MadMatt) that these will not be modeled in CM1, and not added in a later patch. This was stated time and time again.

I would have let it slide if the question would have been along the lines of "Hey, I'm a newbie, will these be modeled?" No problem, I won't even toss out the "DO A SEARCH" mantra. But to demand that BTS fix this, esp. when he (probably) knew better...doesn't fly.

------------------

The only thing worse than fighting with allies is fighting without them. - Churchill

p

Originally posted by vcents:

Troll? Maybe not an intended troll, but his original posting had the firepower to make a troll-type post.

First off, he lied. He stated he broke into "hardcoded data base" and saw all of these unfinished models, but becuase of his upstanding nature he decided not to share how he did it. Steve refuted it.

. I restate my previous post that now his sig line makes a lot of sense.

Second, he states in his org post that "unfinished units" were asked for (a lot) on the board. So, he must have searched the board, and in those searches, he must have seen responses from those who new (ie Steve, MadMatt) that these will not be modeled in CM1, and not added in a later patch. This was stated time and time again.

I would have let it slide if the question would have been along the lines of "Hey, I'm a newbie, will these be modeled?" No problem, I won't even toss out the "DO A SEARCH" mantra. But to demand that BTS fix this, esp. when he (probably) knew better...doesn't fly.

I NEVER stated that I broke the dbase. I said I had a look on it. BUT I stated that I have no knowledge of such things. I read them using a hexeditor (after a friend broke it), where a lot of hex-code and a few ASCII letters (the name of the units)are shown. I missunderstood this and thought they are modeled already - sorry Steve/BTS!

Vince, please forgive this unworthy scum to attract your attention by expressing his thoughts.

------------------

Charles Bukowski

[This message has been edited by Phantom Rocker (edited 02-14-2001).]

Ok...I can go with that. And in light of your explination, I'm sorry for "going off the deep end."

But, a lot of us dig this game, and have been with it for a long time. Some, a LOT longer than I have. And for someone (newbie or otherwise) to demand that BTS finish something becasue it isn't complete, it tends to get the emotional fires burning. I think, though, Dorosh stated what is going on with CM1 the best.

Sorry my man.....hope you enjoy the game, even without the additions you want.

------------------