The CM2 Grog Book List

Well, I reckon it's time to start readin' up on the Reds. We'll all wanna be ready when the balloon goes up, the bugs get sorted out, and we get down to the real business of groggy attacks on the actual ground pressure of T34s carrying coconuts.

Topping my list will be:

"Commanding the Red Army's Sherman Tanks - The WWII Memoirs of Hero of the Soviet Union Dimitrii Loza" by, you guessed it, Dimitrii Fedorovich Loza. A nice, unpretentious, title; I shall enjoy this one with a Merlot or Valpolicella.

Any others I should be on the lookout for?

------------------

Is "patheti-sad" a word?

How about:

The Battle of Kursk 1943, The Soviet General Staff Study, Translated & edited by David M. Glantz and Harold S. Orenstein

When Titans Clashed, How the Red Army Stopped Hitler, by David M. Glantz & Jonathon House

Enjoy!

Loza's other book "Fighting for the Soviet Motherland" is also a great book. It has anecdotal chapters on all kinds of issues such as how they did Graves registration, communications, R&R ande all kinds of operations.

David Glantz "Zhukov's Greatest Defeat", covers operation MARS, which was the Soviet Main offensive effort in late 1942 launched at the same time as URANUS (which cut off the Germans at Stalingrad). This cost eth Russians over 400,000 men and something like 4-5000 tanks andvehicles. (the Germans lost 40K) the whole thing was swept under the rug like it never happened. A great book, told mainly from the Russain point of view.

Two good books to read are;

David Glantz' "From the Don to the Dneper"

and George Nipes' "Last Victory in Russia" which (told from the Russian and german POV respectively) tell of the harrowing days of early 1943 post Stalingrad as the Russians strive to cut off Army Group South and the Germans sought to stabilize the front.

A great Soviet Memoir is Viktor Leoniv's "Blood on the Shores" about a Soviet Nabval reconnaisance trooper fighting in the far North and then against japan. He's a great writer and twice Hero of the Soviet Union.

This memoir is matched by Gottlob Biddermann's "In Deadly Combat". Bidermann was a 37mm pak gunner and then Infantry officer on eth Russain front, 1941-45, in a regular infantry division.

And of course I can't say enough good about "BLACK CROSS/RED STAR Vol 1" which covers the little documented airwar on the Eastern Front in great detail from both sides POV.

Hope that helps. Cheers..

Los

[This message has been edited by Los (edited 01-02-2001).]

Thanks, Babs!

A discussion on the Eastern Front...my favorite topic! biggrin.gif

I have a fairly extensive library of books on the Eastern Front, but the two that have given me the most pleasure (and are now the most dog-eared and ratty in my collection) are Paul Carell's Hitler moves East and Scorched Earth.

Once I get home I'll go through my others and list the better ones of these as well.

Mace

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jumbo:

How about:

The Battle of Kursk 1943, The Soviet General Staff Study, Translated & edited by David M. Glantz and Harold S. Orenstein<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got that about a month ago. I'm presently about two chapters in (got distracted by other things). A little dry but interesting. Seems more set on the operational rather than tactical level. Still very much worth while for anyone seriously interested in the East Front.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>When Titans Clashed, How the Red Army Stopped Hitler, by David M. Glantz & Jonathon House<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Next on my list to get. Looks like the one to have.

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

I have a fairly extensive library of books on the Eastern Front, but the two that have given me the most pleasure (and are now the most dog-eared and ratty in my collection) are Paul Carell's Hitler moves East and Scorched Earth.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hasn't Carrell been somewhat discredited? I never got around to reading him so I have no opinion, but I've heard others point out that he seemed to be making things up off the cuff.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 01-03-2001).]

Guest Michael emrys

I've already plugged it twice now, but I can't say enough about War Without Garlands: Operation Barbarossa 1941/42 by Robert J. Kershaw.

The first six months of that war, largely illuminated in the words of the men (and some women too) on both sides who were there. Does a good job of relating the large scale to the small. Generals make decisions (or fail to) and privates fight and often die.

Michael

I've been reading Erickson's Road books, and when I'm done with that I have some nice Soviet propaganda archives (translated, luckily) to check out in my university library smile.gif

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

If you really want to understand the Soviet method of war, then these books are great:<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI> Soviet Military Operational Art, Glantz

<LI> Soviet Military Intelligence in WWII, Glantz

<LI> Soviet Military Deception in WWII, Glantz

<LI> Soviet Partisan Movement, Grenkevich

<LI> Soviet Tactical Maneuver, Glantz

A great book that imparts the Russian experience in WWII is Werth's War in Russia.

------------------

Best regards,

Greg Leon Guerrero

[This message has been edited by Grisha (edited 01-03-2001).]

Guest wwb_99

"Fighting in Hell"---Don't know the authors. Basicall a repring of a number of post-war Us Army studies written by former German generals. Availiable in paperback.

"Forgotten Soldier"-- Guy Sajer. Up front and personal with the men of Grossdeuchland. Also avaliable in paperback.

The Memoirs of Marshall Zhukov---Somewhat propagandist (whose memoirs aren't?) but very good. Really shows what it meant to be a Russian in one of the most horrible centuries to live there.

"Supplying War" ---Martin van Creveld. Much more of a general work, starting with Gustavus Adolphus, but the last segment explains why the Second World War was the way it was.

"Hitler's Panzers East" ---Stofi. Interesting revisionist look at Operation Barbarossa.

I second anything by Glanz and von Manstein's lost battles.

[edit]

I forgot to mention Omar Bartov's "Hitler's Army." Interesting study on the mental outlook of the Germans in the front lines.

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

[This message has been edited by wwb_99 (edited 01-03-2001).]

"Small Units Actions during the German Campaign in Russia" - a collection gathered by the Dept of the Army covering mostly 41 to 43 but a few also in 44 and 45. It has a lot of maps but most aren't in great detail. A very informative and interesting read nonetheless.

The more you read about the Eastern Front (or the "Great Patriotic War" as the Russians called it), the more you realize that 75+% of WWII was fought in the Soviet Union.

For most of my life, I have been reluctant to give those brave men and women of the Soviet Army the credit they deserve. Now, I laugh when people belittle their sacrifice. These amazing warriors were mostly responsible for ridding the world of Hitler. They had to fight not only the greatest army the world had ever know, but they had to do it under terrible, terrible leadership.

I salute YOU brave Soviet Soldier!

While the American and British did not contribute to the defeat of Hitler as much as the Soviets, they did something just as important. They prevented Stalin from capturing Western Europe. Although Hitler is widely known for his tremendous evil, Stalin killed more of his own people than any other man in history. Our men and women stood in Stalin's way: from Western Germany to Korea.

I salute YOU!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I've already plugged it twice now, but I can't say enough about War Without Garlands: Operation Barbarossa 1941/42 by Robert J. Kershaw.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm almost done with this one and it is very good. I can not reccomend it enough. It really shows just how close the Germans came to defeating the Soviets in Barbarossa and has many personal soldiers' accounts of Barbarossa in diaries, letters, and interviews.

john

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger:

It [War Without Garlands] really shows just how close the Germans came to defeating the Soviets in Barbarossa...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting. I read it and drew exactly the opposite conclusion! smile.gif

Everyone should read it and make their own judgements.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 01-03-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Atlas:

The more you read about the Eastern Front (or the "Great Patriotic War" as the Russians called it), the more you realize that 75+% of WWII was fought in the Soviet Union.

For most of my life, I have been reluctant to give those brave men and women of the Soviet Army the credit they deserve. Now, I laugh when people belittle their sacrifice. These amazing warriors were mostly responsible for ridding the world of Hitler. They had to fight not only the greatest army the world had ever know, but they had to do it under terrible, terrible leadership.

I salute YOU brave Soviet Soldier!

While the American and British did not contribute to the defeat of Hitler as much as the Soviets, they did something just as important. They prevented Stalin from capturing Western Europe. Although Hitler is widely known for his tremendous evil, Stalin killed more of his own people than any other man in history. Our men and women stood in Stalin's way: from Western Germany to Korea.

I salute YOU! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! No offense but that sounded like a communist propaganda broadcast to me

------------------

There was a long silence of rememberance for the dead, to which I added these names:

Ernst Neubach, Lensen, Wiener, Wesreidau, Prinz, Solma, Hoth, Olensheim, Sperlovski, Smellens, Dunde, Kellerman, Freivitch, Ballers, Frosch, Woortenbeck, Siemenlies...

I refuse to add Paula to that list, and I shall never forget the names of Hals, or Lindberg, or Pferham, or Wollers. Their memory lves within me.

There is another man, whom I must forget. He was called Guy Sajer.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by retarded_keydet:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not surprising, because during the Cold War, and following the McCarthy purges, almost anything that tended to give the Soviets their deserved credit for beating the Nazis was considered Communist propaganda.

Henri

retarded_keydet wrote:

Actually, real communist propaganda can be quite entertaining to read. In particular, Ilya Ehrenburg was a true artist. The articles where he praises Soviet Union are quite boring, but those aimed against Germany and minor Axis countries contain several masterpieces.

I don't know whether any of his wartime articles have been translated to English. In late seventies a collection of his early-war articles was published in Finnish ("Venäjä sodassa"). That particular edition has an added benefit of having a foreword written by a hard-core Finnish communist. I giggled for about 15 minutes after reading it.

Too bad that collection doesn't have the article with the famous quote:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

The Germans are coming to Moscow to steal silk and velvet to their girlfriends. What do you say, Ivan? Do we give any silk to them?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have liked to see whether the quote is as funny when taken in context as it is out of context.

I wonder how many of his facts are really true. He used lots of quotes allegedly from captured German letters and diaries, and it would be nice to know how many of the quotes are authentic.

- Tommi