My infantry and their pathetic cowardice

What is it with these guys? I can have 3 full healthy squads of men face off against 1 enemy squad, and when the enemy starts firing at us, at the first sound of gunfire my men run scared. And The enemy can be getting fired at from rear machine guns while being attacked by all 3 of my squads and not once will they ever back down. The only times I ever see enemy infantry retreat are when I fire on them with my tanks.

1. Are all your men in command (red lines to their HQ)?

2. How many men did every one of your squads lose?

3. Are your units too close to each other?

4. Are you sure there aren't other unknown enemy units firing at your men? Sometimes your men can be hit by unknown enemy infantry fire from hidden units. It takes some time to find them if they are in woods.

5. Was the enemy unit veteran/crack/elite?

6. Was it in command?

Posted by Aikens - Again, have you given the AI an experience bonus? This makes the troops better than their rating, ie. Regular troops will actually be Crack. This goes some way towards compensating for the AI's lack of intuition.

Cripes! Is that what that does? I thought I was makeing the AI a more competent tactician. Looks like i've been trying to hog tie the howling commandos.

Well they still die pretty dead though don't they?

I never give the AI an experience bonus. I'm still pretty new, so I don't want to get slaughtered too quick.

I just tried replaying some scenarios, but this time I kept my squads in contact with my HQ's (yeah yeah, before I had just left them in the back and dismissed them as useless. I'm still new, you know?), and my mens performance was considerably better.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Klink:

What is it with these guys? I can have 3 full healthy squads of men face off against 1 enemy squad, and when the enemy starts firing at us, at the first sound of gunfire my men run scared. And The enemy can be getting fired at from rear machine guns while being attacked by all 3 of my squads and not once will they ever back down. The only times I ever see enemy infantry retreat are when I fire on them with my tanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Errmmmm... wouldn't you if you were commanded by Colonel Klink? ;)

Regards

Jim R.

They should have total confidence in me! I even gave them some of those new experimental things called "guns". Apparently they shoot some sort of metal object at people and can wound or kill them. Supposedly better than those butter knives I had issued them before.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Are you absolutely sure that no Finns were spotted by your troops?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, if the Amies just saw "Infantry?", then it is not known were they Germans or Finns. But if they were Finns and they were not totally spotted, it makes one wonder: does one need to totally spot a Finnish squad before routing?

Because if not, then it can be useful to not recognize the enemies but consider them just any "Infantry?". On the other hand, if they do panic without knowing who they were, then the Allied player can tell that it is Finnish infantry. Both cases are gamey, IMHO, and don't reflect historical tactics.

BTS, please fix it. (Or sumfink.)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Of course, if the Amies just saw "Infantry?", then it is not known were they Germans or Finns. But if they were Finns and they were not totally spotted, it makes one wonder: does one need to totally spot a Finnish squad before routing? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps BTS should implement a new spotting marker for use along with the Infantry? and Crew? markers: A Finns? marker.

This would help simulate the sense of dread and foreboding that the Allies felt when faced with the possibility of encountering Finns. This feeling of innevitable impending Finn-induced doom has often been described as the same as if the Nazgul were flying over or riding by a group of Hobbits, and the noramlly stout Russian ponies would panic and gun barrels would melt and warp.

BTS, fix!

Gyrene