My sig?

I know this probably is not the place for this, but I have been away playing hot and heavy with the operation dealing with the battle of Noville. Those 6 scenarios rock. I just hated having to re-move into Noville every game. While I was away it seems I have been beaten upon because of several things. This surprises and disturbs me. To suggest that my sig glorifies war and that glorification in any way, shape or form shows a lack of respect for those who suffered such a calamity(not tragedy)is preposterous. If that were true then the playing of these games(and enjoying them)would make us all glorifiers. Any way, shape or form.Do any of you see death in war as beautiful and fitting for ones country? It certainly is not seen that way to me, but is seen, by me, as the honorable thing to do when your country takes a stand against tyranny and oppression. I would be ashamed if I didn't answer the call of my Country back in 1991 when asked to VOLUNTEER for active duty. I had already served from 1985 thru 1988 with the 2nd and 4th Armored Divisions. But I digress. So called "nationalism" is not the culprit of wars on this planet. Wars start because there are evil people in this world. That will never change no matter how much we attempt to do so. It is the folly of humankind.Who was the man that sent Gavrilo Princip on his mission of assassination upon Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria? Who was Gavrilo? Who was Adolf Hitler? Saddam Hussein? But you have the right to believe as you will...many Americans died to insure you have that right. George Washington gazing upon his troops in despair at Valley Forge..walks into the forest and kneels in prayer to God for wisdom. Thats nationalism to me. Abraham Lincoln walks with a heavy heart upon the battered and bloody fields of Gettysburg to stand before his fellow Americans who gave so much those 3 days and delivered unto them the Gettysburg address. Thats nationalism to me. When a back woods country boy goes off to war and refuses to fight because of his religious views, ends up winning our countrys highest award for saving the lives of many of his countrymen. Single-handedly. Thats nationalism to me. And the list goes on...Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Saudi Arabia and so on. I owe it to those valiant men and women of this great country who gave their lives for our home and land and its myriad peoples. I owe them to remember the evils of the past to better deal with the evils of the future. Therefore I do not apologize for anything. Sig or otherwise. Please understand I am not angry...only disappointed. This isn't directed at all people here. I have thus far been very happy with all conversations so far. And the game is amazing. Later. :cool:

You had me going there Red as I read your post, nice try. Your sig. at the end of this post says it all, again. What it says can be said in a histroical context however you choose not to do that. So many of us (americans)have to small a view of the world.

[ 04-26-2001: Message edited by: Abbott ]

It is not the sig guys. It is the 300-word essay on my cause is so holy and my heart is so pure.

Yes this is a Wargames forum and Wargames, wars and many other issues are discussed here daily including atrocities. It also happens to be one of the most intelligent Wargaming communities going. There are many ways to express patriotism. Anyone who has spent any amount of time here is also aware that this is an international forum and that should be treated with respect. The horrors and incidents of War are treated respectfully here on a daily basis. I just didn't buy what I considered to be the BS.

You mean this is an international forum?

I didn't know that people outside the USA had the internet. Did we lend-lease it? ;)

Seriously, that is a good point. It is only polite to consider the other blokes point of view when you are in public. I consider this to be a public conversation, and if I am proud of my country it only stands to reason that other folks are just as fond of their own piece of the planet, and we should speak with this in mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WRG:

So lemme get this straight ... we got the world to respect the western democratic ideal by killing prisoners, right?

Now I'm confused. Tell me again, daddy, who's wearing the white hats?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, if a war between the USA and Aus. broke out, who do you think would win?

;)

Hey guys, he's from Alabama, go easy on him. Redmow, if you have received that much flack over your sig it might just be a good idea to consider another one that is perhaps less offensive. And before I forget...

Hi Mom!

Originally posted by Abbott:

[QB]Hey, if a war between the USA and Aus. broke out, who do you think would win?

We might have a better idea if you blokes sparted playing a sport the rest of us can take seriously, mate.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WRG:

and I don't have a problem with his sig, that's war.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely right, it warmed the cockles of my heart to read about the Malmedy massacre.

I thought to myself : "That's war" and I fell asleep smiling.

Yah, I got a problem with M. Bates sig! It takes up too damn much space that could otherwise go for public service announcements or somefink!

----------------

From the 100 Years War to the Crimea,

With the lance and the musket and the Roman spear,

To all the men who have stood without fear,

In the service of their king.

"The Card Cheat" --- the Clash

I don't see nothin' wrong with Redmow's signature. And anybody who does is a dorky bottle capped little bastard who doesn't have anything better to do. In fact it's YOU who are causing so much attention about the thing that you claim you dislike! To complain about someone’s signature on a freakin war game message board shows just how much of a stupid wanker you really are!

-Head

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Head Mahone:

I don't see nothin' wrong with Redmow's signature. And anybody who does is a dorky bottle capped little bastard who doesn't have anything better to do. In fact it's YOU who are causing so much attention about the thing that you claim you dislike! To complain about someone’s signature on a freakin war game message board shows just how much of a stupid wanker you really are!

-Head<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Redmow sings the praises of nationalism and then dumps on Hitler IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH.

He also has a rubbish signature.

The man is a buffoon: he should be placed against a wall and laughed at.

Then shot.

800 times.

In the legs.

[ 04-27-2001: Message edited by: M. Bates ]

originally uttered by Head Mahone:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I don't see nothin' wrong with Redmow's signature. And anybody who does is a dorky bottle capped little bastard who doesn't have anything better to do. In fact it's YOU who are causing so much attention about the thing that you claim you dislike! To complain about someone’s signature on a freakin war game message board shows just how much of a stupid wanker you really are! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Head, you are going to have to learn how to release your emotions by expressing yourself openly. I am afraid that covering up your true feelings like that will eventually lead to deeper issues, and you might even end up living in Louisiana.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Head Mahone:

Besides, we get to screw all of your drunken girl friends when they come down to New Orleans for Mardi Grass!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't be too obnoxious but isn't Mardi Grass that moment when you all smoke pot in the french quarter?