Vot are ze best building and terrain mods?

What are the best, out of all available, building and terrain mods?

I'd like building mods which don't stray too far from the original style, and terrain which is more realistic without becoming drab and depressing.

------------------

Rugged Defense England Team Website:

http://combatmission.portland.co.uk

For all our AARs (not those which have been lost)

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

Well, My opinion is DD's terrain and PanzerTruppens buildings with Jager's Skies. My god my game looks so good now. I wonder if Steve and Charles are using any of the user made mods? Wonder if they are still using the stock look. Yo BTS give us an update on how happy you guys are with the mods people are making so far.

M. Bates but you probably think those are too drab and depressing. But I thought the stock terrian was too damn happy if you ask me.

I use Desert Fox's terrain. It has a clean look with a nice color. I think I use DD's winter terrain and all his tree bases. I use Panzertruppen's buildings, and Jager's skies. Overall it gives a nice realistic appearance without looking too busy. Some of the grass mods have too much going on for my tastes.

i use magua's heavy two story buildings and panzer's mods for the rest of the buildings.

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

DD's terrain mods and Panzertruppen's building mods. I'll jump on the wagon and state that these two mods should be friggin' married... they look that good together. To top it off, the German armor with Ambush paint schemes look sooo sweet in them waiting for Allied tin cans to come by.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

I don't wish to slight any of the authors mentioned above, but having installed the recommended mods... I wish I hadn't.

Come on, Normandy or anywhere else during July and August does NOT look that bleak and bleached out!!!

Any other recommendations on mods before I switch back to the Mad Dog ones?

------------------

I use almost exactly the same setup as Pvt.Ryan.

Except, I have shrunk DD's snow terrain down in size (it still looks exactly the same, but runs better) and I have Modified Desert Fox's grass to show elevation a bit better.

(I like touching up some MOD's, for personal taste. I just added more color to DD's Grey Heer mod, and it looks sweet... also made shadowed helmets for Heer)

At first I thought that PT's building looked a little too wrecked for most battles, but then I figured that CM battles take place mostly on front line, and most of the real pics I've seen have buildings in far worse shape. You can't beat those buildings for detail!

EDITED for stoopid spellin' mistakes...

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 01-21-2001).]

I use PSP and the RESAMPLE option. Yes, just make it half the size. BE WARNED, it does not ALWAYS work well... so back up before trying it. I tried to reduce the size of Desert Fox's grass textures (already lo-res) and ended up having a TRON look to the landscape... icky!

It DOES however work great for some things (like DD's snow) and makes your game run a bit better too.

EDIT: I'm trying it on TIGER's new tank texture right now!

EDIT Part 2: OOPS, almost forgot... Run a single SHARPEN filter over the reduced texture! Also, must give credit to Maximus, as that is where I got the idea to start zipping down some textures.

Someone emailed some buildings which are not PT's and they are pretty good, I had to reducde them by 50% to stop the slowdown on my computer.

I also took ALL of DD's terrain mods except the snow ones, and increased the brightness of the green, and also saturated the colour.

The result is much much better, if anyone is interested I can email the trees and bases to you.

------------------

Earlier I said to run a SHARPEN filter over reduced textures, but I'm editing that a bit now. Basically, I suggest shrinking your texture, saving it, then running a sharpen filter over it and deciding if the end result is better or worse. I noticed when reducing Tiger's new tank, the SHARPEN filter brought out too much stark detail at the lower res.