Wanna drive a SPW 250 to work?

Well, you can't drive a 250, but the 251 is avaliable.

And it could be yours for a little over $18,000 US.

Check out the auction at:

SPW 251 Auction

Steve take note. It would be a nice addition to your collection.

WWB

[Edited for idiotic error. Kids, remember to read what you post about.]

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: wwb_99 ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>A little steep for a 60 year old vehicle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm... then I think you would find the $125,000 pricetag for a 1945 Hetzer unimaginably steep smile.gif

These things are pieces of history folks. Small numbers and larger demand means higher prices for German vehicles. For example, you can get a M5A1 Stuart for about $60,000 in fantastic shape, or you can get a VW Schwimwagen for the same price. A Kettenkraft rad is a "steal" in comparison at $45,000 smile.gif

Yes, the 251/1 is actually a converted Czech OT-810. The Germans set up production there during the war and the Czechs kept cranking out slightly modified versions after the war. The big difference is the substituation of a rather noisy and dirty Tatra Diesel engine instead of the gas powered Maybach in the original. Major modifications to the rear had to be made to get the OT-810 to look like a 251/1. $18,000 is about average for a good quality conversion. They are for sale quite frequently.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Hmmm... then I think you would find the $125,000 pricetag for a 1945 Hetzer unimaginably steep smile.gif

These things are pieces of history folks. Small numbers and larger demand means higher prices for German vehicles. For example, you can get a M5A1 Stuart for about $60,000 in fantastic shape, or you can get a VW Schwimwagen for the same price. A Kettenkraft rad is a "steal" in comparison at $45,000 smile.gif

Yes, the 251/1 is actually a converted Czech OT-810. The Germans set up production there during the war and the Czechs kept cranking out slightly modified versions after the war. The big difference is the substituation of a rather noisy and dirty Tatra Diesel engine instead of the gas powered Maybach in the original. Major modifications to the rear had to be made to get the OT-810 to look like a 251/1. $18,000 is about average for a good quality conversion. They are for sale quite frequently.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can see that Steve but for a 251/1 thats not even a 251/1. Its a convertion! I can see that prise for tank. Not APC. I am also look at that prise tag as a Canadian. TO me that would be like $25,000 for the ACP.

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Rob, you are not buying the thing to drive. Not that I don't know people who drop $50,000 plus on a car.

You are buying it so that you can own a piece of history. I know people who spend $25,000 US on a single coin, and they feel it is well worth it.

Hell, I would buy the thing if I had the means and a way to store it.

Let us all hope that it finds a good home.

WWB

Panzerman,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I can see that Steve but for a 251/1 thats not even a 251/1. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, which is why the price tag wasn't $60-80,000 smile.gif

Think of it this way... a brand new, low end, run of the mill, mass produced, ho-hum pickup truck is about $20,000. $18,000 for a piece of armor doesn't look so bad when you think of it that way, especially when something like a Suburban is $50,000+ It is a vehicle, a piece of history, something of value. And think of how many multi-million dollar pieces of canvas with some paint splashed on them could be run over by this thing smile.gif

Value is in the eye of the beholder. As someone who is very plugged into the military vehicle hobby, this is a good price. Probably cost him $14,000 to start with with (guess here) about $10,000 more in parts and labor. So the guy is taking a $6000 (guess) bath on the deal. Unfortunately, like antique cars... you can pour a bank full of money into one of these things but you are unlikely to get your money back.

BTW, US Halftracks generally go for around this ballpark fully restored. Fully tracked APCs, like M114s, M75s, UK FV423, etc. go for between $25-$40,000. And these are fairly common and easy to get a hold of.

As far as I can tell that Hetzer was the real deal, not a Swiss G-13. But if it is a Swiss G-13, the price is way too high. WAY, WAY too high smile.gif

Steve

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: Big Time Software ]