How to best use rocket FOs

Title should say it all. I've played a few QBs and ended up with nigh worthless rocket FOs. Even with a direct line of sight to a target, under command of a HQ unit and Veteran status the buggers can't hit the broad side of a barn! I know, I've tried smile.gif Their ammo load is so low that after firing for a turn, they're usually out. What I have been doing lately with them is to start off at the beginning of the battle and target an area that is likely to have enemy troop concentrations and then let'em rip. Since the scatter rate is so high I figure that even if not aimed directed on a group it might hit a few, maybe knock out a light vehicle or mortar unit and probably causes some confusion. Does anyone have a better use for them other than "spray and pray" weapons? BTW I tried the search engine and it locked up as always :( Thanks, Hanns

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hanns:

Title should say it all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, it does. The best use of rockets is en masse. Target likely hiding places or place the shells along the axis of attack. Do not target too close to the edge of the map or you’ll lose rockets to areas off the map. Try using 2 or 3 lower caliber rocket FOs in conjunction with one another. You can either blast a huge section of the map all in one turn or space out the delivery over several turns.

The large caliber rockets ought to be used as early into the game as possible, unless you know your opponent is receiving reinforcements. Sometimes it’s plain mean (and yes, gamey) to orchestrate a rocket delivery when your opponent is expecting reinforcements.

One method to make rockets pay off is by using TRPs. The rocket and TRP combo facilitates rapid munitions delivery as needed. The low cost of the rockets promotes the use of TRPs deep in enemy territory.

All in all, the use of rockets is similar to Russian roulette. A few well placed (lucky) rounds on a concentrated enemy force will result in total devastation. However if you’re unlucky and the rockets veer every which way other than on top of the enemy’s head, you’ve lost important artillery assets (read: Points).

On Defense: Rockets + TRP's + Targetting TRP in 1st turn = fun!

The opponent will hate it, but its the best way to cause the most damage with rockets. 150's can be effective, but I always enjoy the 300's myself. If you are always playing computer buys in QB's then you will never get a TRP due to a comp buying bug/feature.

2 uses;

As a current opponent calls them, insstant foxhole maker (best used with 150mm, anything hit by it is bonus)

Prep bombardment. Buy a few of them, and target the same spot. Pretty at the very least. The idea is to target several on the same spot so the random factor is reduced.

Try this. Start a 2000pt attack QB versus the computer. Buy as many 210mm rockets as possible. Target the areas of likely enemy setup. Let em rip. Don't expose any other troops (actually, don't buy anything but FOs). After the smoke clears, surrender and check out the results.

Pete

Not exactly a finnesse weapon... ;)

The Germans called them "stukas on wheels". Think of them as a substitute air strike - just as unpredictable, potentially devastating, always loud, sometimes a fizzle.

I don't recommend the largest sizes, because I find the 150mm standard artillery is better at that sort of thing (since you can aim it). But 2-3 of the cheap 150mm FOs can put down a dense enough pattern that the enemy will notice. Target them less than 100 meters apart.

The "beaten zone" of rockets is about 400 yards wide by 200 yards deep, compared to the usual 100 wide by 200 deep for other artillery types. So you need the aim point to be at least 200 yards away, and preferably more like 400 yards away. Trying to use them late, while already in close contact, is not going to work.

The best time is as the enemy approaches, with his leading units ~250 yards out and the rest strung out beyond. Target the salvo on any prominent terrain feature, ~100 yards beyond the nearest *enemy* unit and at least 250 yards from the nearest edge (which on smaller maps means "the middle of the board", typically).

You can spread the targeting points a little front to back for a slightly deeper pattern, but basically put them on top of each other. You need more than 25 rockets landing in a pattern that size to do much to anybody under it.

Whereas regular aimed arty works best against bunched up enemies, rockets will give the best effect against units spread out into decent intervals, to avoid such concentrated fire. Otherwise many of the rockets will fall "wide". But if a large force of the enemy are advancing with decent intervals between them, most will have their random shot at how close the nearest enemy is. And with 50-75 of them, you will get some of them close.

The overall effect of a "spoiling barrage" like that is to discoordinate the attacker's plans. Some units pin, a few aren't available, etc. It will delay, more than stop, the attacker. Most of the morale effects will have passed in 3-5 minutes. Use the time to move reserves or keep attackers under fire with other forces.

Don't rely on rockets exclusively, because they can't do what regular arty does and you need some of that. But in place of one infantry platoon or AFV, a lucky spoiling barrage can make a difference. It is a high "variance" tactic, a roll of the dice, compared to more maneuver units.

First let me say Hanns that you have a really funny name!

I would agree with what is written above but with one extra idea. While it is best to use them as soon as possible I have found the following strategy to be useful.

If you have a trp place that on your objective. And place your forces in a U shape (depends on the terrain) around the objective at least 400 meters away. Wait til the enemy occupies the objective then let rip with concentrated rockets-then counter-attack!

Works nicely plus it make the opponent think he's winning.

PS its best to put a few AP mines and some weak troops on the Objective to make them think you are really defending it.

Hans

Or...

Place a hard point fairly far out in front of your real MLR. When that point cracks, flee like mad, and call down 3 150mm FO's on the spot.

You vacate, foe rushes in and gets plastered...

It cost me a platoon and 2 HMG42's once to convince my brother that I planed on making a stand there, but it did (luckily) devastate his Coy of Amis who came in to take over the position...

Only worked on him once though...

rockets are good for the old marine idea of spray and pray. being able to buy cheap as dirt, but your paying for power not accuracy. you get 25 rockets of 135 blast, thats 3375 blast points for only 55 points! if your playing someone who you know likes to mass his troops early in the game, give him some pre bombardment. as was said above, its a chance, but with a 25+ rockets flying throught the air, you never know who it will rain on . . .

I once used 300mm rockets in a QB, targeting the village in the middle of the map. Three minutes or so later, two-thirds of the (small) map erupted in very large, loud booms. I didn't find out until the end of the game that I had destroyed or immobilized 75 percent of my opponent's AFVs ... mostly HTs and ACs and scared the poop out of some of his infantry.

The downside is that I pulled my forward units back 175m. Should have pulled back 200m or 225m. Darn near lost 2 squads.

Keep in mind when using them, rocket technology circa 1944 isn't what it is in 2001.

Thanks for the advise folks. I'll have to try a few handpicked QBs with TRPs and see how much better it works. I swear whenever I've used rockets in the past I can almost hear my HQ unit muttering "Sie kann mit V-1 und V-2 London schlaggen, so was ist die Probleme hier?" smile.gif

Hanns,

Kingfish has been on both ends of the Nebelwerfer problem. I hit him in a QB once with the 15 cm variety. The rockets landed all over creation, including several among my freaked out advancing troops. He has also hit me with the 30cm type, wiping out half my force before our troops ever saw one another. I had a 57mm AT gun blown up (lost half the crew), a halftrack shocked and permanently buttoned, a stunned tank which buttoned and stayed that way for many turns, a platoon position was reduced to about half a squad, a bazooka team was eviscerated, etc. He managed to put three rounds down in the space of a small building. He leveled half the village. I believe that was a small board.

JasonC, I believe Stuka zu Fuss translates as "Stuka on foot" not "Stuka on wheels."

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John Kettler

Then there's John and his damn 14" rounds. Nothing like issueing orders to a crack company CO, an entire platoon and a HMG team, then watch them take two steps and *Blink*, they're gone. I'm sure if you were to travel to Lion-sur-Mer today you'll still see the crater in the middle of the town.