faq

new FAQ at http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/016594.html

<big>How to Use the Forum</big>

Look at the FAQs! Also a very good search function is available above. It is sometimes quicker at answering your questions then waiting for a reply.

Your best bet is CAR_12's excellent FAQ at his webpage(look for a FAQ link there)

CAR_12's CM for Macs Webpage

wargamer.com's FAQ, based on posts by Steve and Charles

The Wargamer CM FAQ

Big Time Software's CM FAQ(way out of date):

Big Time Software's CM FAQ

Mina's Combat Mission Site

Combat-Mission.com FAQ's and also useful is the Terms page.

<big>Board Culture, Usage, and Vocabulary</big>

How do I use the UBB Board?

How to make smillies, urls and images, bold, etc.

How do I become a member?

You need to post 40 messages.

How many posts do I have?

Look at one of your messages. There is an icon of a face with a question mark. Hit that button to get your current number of posts.

What's with all the Peng threads?

After a certain while a Peng thread (aka the Cesspool) gets so big that the UBB crashes(bad). Hence, new Peng threads.

Who moderates/represents the BTS BBS/company?

Big Time Software(Steve or Charles), Madmatt, and KwazyDog.

Where can I test my signature?

Try the General Forum. There is usually a "Test" post. Just reply to it to test your signature and avoid starting a new thread. If you do need to test, just mention that there's no topic(n/t) so people don't have to click on it.

What's with all the "Hi Mom!" responses in certain threads?

The moderators lock down threads that threaten to spiral out of control into flamefests. Posters who think this is going to happen sardonically post "Hi Mom!" since you want to say hi to mom before the thread's locked.

What's with all the gerbil and hamster talk?

Most probably from the SS are overpriced hamsters! thread. Now it's part of the board vernacular.

What's an UberTank?

The biggest and baddest tanks in the game. Mostly German, they are the heaviest tanks in the game, and are almost impervious to smaller enemy tanks. A few examples are the Tiger, Panther, Jumbo, and Pershing. There are others as well.

<big>TCP/IP and PBEM</big>

Where's the TCP/IP patch?

<a href="http://www.battlefront.com/downloads/index.html">Da' Patch<a/>. Scroll down till you see Combat Mission in Patches.

How do I find an opponent?

There is an opponents forum at battlefront:

CM Opponent Finder

How do I tell my IP address?

1) Use this URL: http://www.babygrrl.com/ip.shtml

2A) choose RUN from the Start menu and type "WINIPCFG". Then click one of the connection devices, and it will reveal your IP.

2B) If you are using Mac, look at the TCP/IP setting in the Control Panel.

3) Host a TCP/IP game, then your IP address is shown automatically.[last two from GriffinCheng+]

How do I switch from TCP/IP to PBEM?

What are Fionn's Short 75 / Panther-76 Rules?

Fionn's Rules can be found here. They were rules set up to prevent every engagement from being an uber tank battle(ex. all King Tigers vs. all Super Pershings).

How is scoring done?

<big>Gameplay</big>

How do I order infantry mounted on a vehicle to a fixed spot and disgorge the troops?

Order the troops to move to the spot you want, and add some pauses so that it covers the time of the trip, plus command delay.

Why did my embarked unit not get off that tank?

If the tank had movement orders or was completing a previous movement, the units on board cannot get off until it halts.

<big>Reality</big>

My King Tiger/Super Pershing/Uber tank missed fifteen times and got killed by a Stuart/Lynx/wuss tank! How did that happen?

Sometimes bad luck happens, even in war. The little units may be computers but they act like men, so there will be screw-ups, chokes, and bad karma. On the technical side tanks have weak spots, poor armor quality, or even design flaws. Plus, the Allied tanks have and now use tungsten rounds in the new 1.1 patch, a major tank killer.

How come my tank fired at a nearby target and died when nothing hit it?

If the target was too close the main gun's blast knocked out the tank. You can check if this is so by clicking on the unit, pressing ENTER, and clicking "kills". The tank should list itself as a kill.

How did a machine gun take out my tank?

Depends on how close the machine gun was and it's ability to penetrate armor. Angle and armor quality also factors in. For example, a Hetzer's side armor cannot withstand a .50 caliber machinegun at medium to close range.

Do machine guns on vehicles jam or get damaged?

No, but they get knocked out if the main gun gets damaged.

Do machine guns jam or get damaged at all?

Yes, a machine gun can indeed JAM. What's cool is that the gun crew can unJAM it given enough experience and time. Machine guns can also be immobilized.

Why can't my light/heavy machine gun run?

They have to carry the machine gun(heavy), spare gun barrels(a bit of weight), and ammo(really, really heavy). See the links so kindly provided by Lindan: spur of the moment complaining and David Aitken: Light MG 42's speed

Why do the firepower stats not add up for some German squads?

Most likely the squads have a light maching gun, the MG42, which requires two men to man. One soldier with a rifle will drop his rifle and help with the more deadly LMG.

Does anyone know where one can get good topological maps of European battlefields?

Of course, there is also Topozone.

Do vehicles provide cover for infantry?

Only if they are knocked out and burning because the smoke blocks line of sight(LOS). The calculations are too complex for CM to do it while the vehicles are on the move.

Why can't I have a roster of all my troops?

Why can't my artillery spotter hide and fire at the same time?

It can. It will have reduced accuracy and longer response time.

Why does the artillery clock countdown at 2 sec for every second in real time?

That will happen if the oberver doesn't have a clear LOS. it will only move at 1 sec/1 sec if there is a clear LOS to the target. Unit experience also is a factor I believe.

<big>Graphics</big>

How do I take a screenshot?

Possibly the most asked question.

"On a Mac press Alt + Shift + 3. The file will appear on your hard disk called Picture 1. Subsequent screenshots take subsequent numbers.

On a PC press Print Screen. This saves the screen to the clipboard. Then open Paint and use Ctrl + v to paste to a new document(such as in Paint)."

Why are there only three men max shown per squad?

It takes too much computing power to show all 8-12 men. A lot of polygons go into those little men so tripling the number will tax almost any CPU/videocard.

Why isn't a bloody corpse shown for every casualty?

Again, too much computing power is required. Not only that but BTS felt that too much gore will detract from the game.

Can we have sandbags in the foxhole graphics?

Sorry no, the big, dark crater is the same picture as the foxhole picture.

Can we make 3D rubble?

Sorry, in CMBO it is a flat .bmp, not a 3D object.

<big>Mods & Sounds</big>

Where can I get some cool mods?

There are numerous places. Try this post, for beginner tips. The major mod palace is CMHQ. This is where most mods start off or wind up. Another place I go to is CM Outpost. Be sure to read this great article on CM mods, written by one of this board's very own members!

How do I change that background grass that stretches to infinity?

Where can I find a list of all the .bmp files?

Right here.

Why does the .wav file I added crackle and squeal in CM?

The .wav file should be at Mono 16bit 44100 samples.

How do I get change that really loud exit sound?

Change file 00000171.wav and either use a computer sound recorder program to reduce the noise level or copy in a different sound like the sniper sound 00000410.wav or the end of battle sound 00000129.wav.

Where can I find a sound map of the .wav files?

The above link goes to a thread where I posted a general sound map. Scroll Down till you see a listing...

<big>Misc</big>

<A HREF="http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/014130.html" TARGET=_blank>When will my copy get here?

</A>"Answer is that normally it takes about 3-5 days for an order to arrive in the US, about 10-15 elsewhere." -Steve

Also says it takes 2-4 times longer during the holiday season. Not to mention that BTS sometimes runs out of stock due to demand. Overseas can be even longer: for example, three weeks for Finland.

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

[This message has been edited by russellmz (edited 02-22-2001).]

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by russellmz elsewhere:

yo, i'm back.(and i see my faq lasted 5 days before being locked =) )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Russell, welcome back - we tried to keep it alive with a story (instead of numerous bumps), but Matt closed it down, unfortunately. We just started our own then, but judging from the interest, people rather start new topics then ask the experts. Oh well. Anyway, good to see you back in business again with a new version.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE READING ON!!!!!

The only post truly worth reading is the first one. All the other posts are a public service mostly provided by people from the Peng Thread to keep the first post afloat. If you have any moral/legal/tastal/mammal or any other issues with the Peng Thread and its occupants, please refrain from reading on, since even JD Morse will not be able to get damages for you in that case. We will write a harmless story and promise to try very hard to behave and self-police this. Honest.

If you read on, you have been warned, don't come a-crying later.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 01-24-2001).]

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

That ate leekssssss......

------------------

"...come from the sea with nitroglycerine, nitroglycerine and a ladder of rope, and a thing called hope..."

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Forever Babra:

...but he wouldn't turn the radio on, because the elephant wore sunglasses. Or maybe it was...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...the only survivor of Massada, who...

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

...the only survivor of Massada, who...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...really didn't like the Romans so hence...

------------------

"...come from the sea with nitroglycerine, nitroglycerine and a ladder of rope, and a thing called hope..."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Der Unbekannte Jäger:

...really didn't like the Romans so hence...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...he packed his trunk and went to...

------------------

Continuing the fight from the secret command bunker!

[This message has been edited by Iskander (edited 01-22-2001).]

Just a historical note, the only Jewish survivors of Massada inside the walls (as opposed to Flavius Josephus and other captives and turncoats outside the walls) was a woman her small children. They hid out in an empty cistern for a day or three, until the defenders had fallen upon their swords and the Romans had calmed down. They were set free, IIRC.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iskander:

...he packed his trunk and went to...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...the only warm and dry place he could find where he met up with...

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

...the only warm and dry place he could find where he met up with...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...a bad head cold who insisted...

------------------

Originally posted by Forever Babra:

...that he was not a head cold, but really his inner Croda, and...

...Shandorf stomped in with his big red galoshes. "Someone's been posting in my thread!!" the cantankerous one thundered. Before the night is over, I'll...

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

....where the bloody hell had he been? She then said his dinner was in the garbage and that tonight he had to sleep........

------------------

Work is the curse of the drinking class.

I have nothing else to say. Ya, quote that you rat bastards.

-Meeks

Originally posted by Speedy:

....where the bloody hell had he been? She then said his dinner was in the garbage and that tonight he had to sleep........

...with her instead of a QB. "CM is taking up too much of your time!" she howled, while brandishing a cleaver and reaching for a...

------------------

Guest Rex_Bellator

a 12-gague to blow her own brains out after reading too many oh-so funny posts by cesspoolers

------------------

"We're not here to take it - We're here to give it"

General Morshead's response to the popular newspaper headline "Tobruk Can Take It"