Points and Tanks

So far, I have not seen any way to allocate a user defined amount of point limit to any one group.

You begin by being able to buy units up to a predetermined point max, but there's no way to set that max for yourself.

As it stands, I am usually able to buy a maximum of 2 main tanks (medium) or one heavy.

Platoons are made up of 4 to 5, no? When depleted, there were considerably less, but in a CM quick battle we're assuming that we have a full strength company or battlion, yes?

I have been playing around 1500pts. as the Germans At 300 points, I can't buy squat for armor. My standard are 2 PZIVHs with some vehicle support.

Come to think of it, this b&$tch goes the same for arty too, but Arty I can understand given the time of CMBO.

Although it is my opinion that the CM depicted Allies grossly outclass the Germans in this area, both in point cost and firing times.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DasBaron:

Although it is my opinion that the CM depicted Allies grossly outclass the Germans in this area, both in point cost and firing times.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's because they did outclass the Germans in artillery. Superior organization of batteries and FO's compared to the Germans.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lars:

That's because they did outclass the Germans in artillery. Superior organization of batteries and FO's compared to the Germans.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw a good quote about how good American artillery was from an American division commander. I don't remember who, but he said "Basically, all we did is guard our FOs as they walked towards Germany". Or something to that effect.

Yes, I know Lars, it just seems a bit more than what I would think is all.

The difference is a very large one and I understand the reasoning behind it, but for 1) It gives the allies a very profound advantage (and this is ontop of the large advantage of arty ammo they have)which makes for an unbalanced player to player game.

and

2) It is only my opinion that the gap wasn't as tremendous, but I will do some more research on my own in admittance that I don't know everything about it.

Anyone have any more comments on the number of tanks points you get?

Unless you play a very large point game, you can't have a platoon of tanks, at the very best a half platoon of low to medium tanks.

Anyone have any more comments on the number of tanks points you get?

Unless you play a very large point game, you can't have a platoon of tanks, at the very best a half platoon of low to medium tanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't play "combined arms" quick battles. As previous posters have noted, choose "armor" or "unrestricted," both of which will let you spend all your points on armor.

Agua Perdido

Yes, I know Lars, it just seems a bit more than what I would think is all.

The difference is a very large one and I understand the reasoning behind it, but for 1) It gives the allies a very profound advantage (and this is ontop of the large advantage of arty ammo they have)which makes for an unbalanced player to player game.

and

2) It is only my opinion that the gap wasn't as tremendous, but I will do some more research on my own in admittance that I don't know everything about it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The gap was even bigger than the game shows. American FOs weren't really tied to one battery as the game shows. They could call in fire from any available battery. The ammo gap is really bigger than the game shows too. During the battle of the bulge 9th SS launched it's attack with something like 700 rounds for all artillery pieces. A single American battery could go through that in one day.

Thanks Lost water smile.gif

I'm pretty sure I was playing unrestricted, but I will check again whe I get home.

As for the combined arms....I don't want to loose the option of having other units. I'm going to experiment with it a bit further. I haven't tried that route yet. I wanted the option of other units as well.

Perhaps I'm not understanding combined arms correctly. Are the maximum amount of point per category (i.e. armor, infantry, arty) in accordance to standard real life military organization when using "combined arms"?

I have always thought of "combined arms" as a combination of organizations. (i.e. arty support for troops and armor.)

A company of armor might have supporting infantry and heavy weapons, but these are "restricted" to certain resources...while combined arms is a haphazard mixture. If indeed it is a haphazrd mixture, then why the maximum restriction per category for points?

Why not just a point total that can be used any way you want?

Now as I've mentioned before. I'm 99% sure I have been using "unrestricted".

Am I not seeing something, or is there another explanation that I'm ignorant of?

Any help is appreciated gentlemen, thank you.

I believe the “combined arms” setting is more to force you to divide your choices as opposed to taking all MG Jeeps and FO’s. This makes for a more balanced game. With six different armies in the game I don’t think it adjusts according to their doctrine but I could be wrong.

And if you think American artillery is overmodeled, just wait until you get sent to Russia.

I don't know.... I don't think you should have a restriction. If someone took all FOs and MG jeeps, they would be doomed. The same if they took all tanks IMO. The whole idea of combined arms goes against loading up too heavily with one kind of unit solely because a variation will get you farther.

But I understand the idea behind the seperation of the point into max numbers per category. I guess more than anything, I'm wondering where they came up with the max point totals and why. I would like to have a at least a 3 tank company if I wanted to without having a huge 2000-2500pt game.

Still a great game and I guess I have to find ways around my idea of a problem, but I think it's something to think about. I'm not sure if it has been discussed before (I'm sure it has) and if someone knows of a past thread...I wouldn't mind looking at it.

The Russian front is going to be ugly for the Germans.

In other games I've played around the same time period, the Germans aren't quite so over powered. For example...Close Combat and TS's Campaign Series...except when depicting the Russian front.

This game shafts the Germans the way they were Historically, I think, but I'm wondering if it's not just better to stay away from playing the Germans when thinking about ladder matches.

Tactics, tactics...I know, but when you're up against an equal, if not better opponent, tactics really only go so far.

Why not just a point total that can be used any way you want?

Now as I've mentioned before. I'm 99% sure I have been using "unrestricted".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're confused. You say you want a point total that can be used any way you want... well that is exactly what unrestricted is (except for arty). With unrestricted you can buy close to a whole company of tanks in a 1250 pt game if you want.

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

Maybe he hasnt patched to the latest version and doesn't have the unrestricted option? Just a thought :D

p.s. I just think its funny that he think Germans are at a disadvantage! :eek: ;)

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: Banshee ]

Not that it much matters, but I recehcked. Yes, unrestricted was on. Either we are misunderstanding eachother or there is something strange about my CM setup, because each category, i.e. Armor, infantry, etc has a point maximum. For example Combined arms, 1500 pts you only have 300pts to use MAXIMUM for tanks.

Furthermore. The Germans are outclassed in everything but infantry and support vehicles. I went over the stats very carefully and between that and common sense when determining strengths such as arty times, turret speeds, unit costs, it is obvious that the Allies definately have an advantage.

Now all of this is just for arguements sake, because I play the Axis anyway. I was making a point and I was asking what I thought to be legit and respectful questions. I was not however trying to be "funny".

You're doing something wrong. 300 pts for armor in a 1500 pt game is what you get with a Combined Armes setup. Unrestricted would be 1500 for everything except arty. Make sure your game is version 1.12 or the unrestricted category will not be available.

I get the impression you have not played the game much. You may want to join a ladder and actually play some before deciding the Germans are disadvantaged. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but most expirienced ladder players think the Allies are harder to win with than the Germans, an opinion I share (I'm on the Rugged Defense ladder).

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

K R hit it on the head.

DasBaron, you need to click on the pull down menu where it says "Combined Arms". That is where you will find "Unrestricted". Then you will have access to whatever you want (except, of course, arty), whether it represents a realistic TO&E, or not.