Search Engine Not Working

Hi folks

Is it me or is this search engine a bit rusty?

I have seen other people post saying it failed and it has failed to deliver for me on numerous occasions. I am getting quite frustrated now, hence the post.

Am I doing something wrong? :(

Any advice or knowledge that might help me. smile.gif

I was trying to confirm my knowledge (or lack of it) on Relative and Absolute spotting. ;) (I wonder why....) ;)

So if anyone has threads with this on I would be very grateful.

Regards

H

You guys need to include as much info as possible, to fine tune the search. The more info you enter the less time it will take.

It will eventually bring up the info you are searching for, but will take a long long time (possibly hours), if you only search for a single word.

You have to remember if you don't fine tune your search, the search engine will have to go through more than 20,000 threads. I think even alot more than that if I am not mistaken. I believe there are alot of posts from the old board.

I used it last night and the night before with no troubles.

Hope this helps

Shatter

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Shatter ]

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Shatter ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shatter:

You guys need to include as much info as possible, to fine tune the search. The more info you enter the less time it will take.

It will eventually bring up the info you are searching for, but will take a long long time (possibly hours), if you only search for a single word.

You have to remember if you don't fine tune your search, the search engine will have to go through more than 20,000 threads. I think even alot more than that if I am not mistaken. I believe there are alot of posts from the old board.

I used it last night and the night before with no troubles.

Hope this helps

Shatter

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thxs for that Shatter. smile.gif

I think my search was pretty refined and I only selected the last 30 days and just looking for the word "spotting" in the title.

It still came up with connection timed out.

Now is there a way with IE5 to increase the "time out" time?

Maybe that is what is going wrong?

H

20 THOUSAND POSTS! Holy cow! And when I use my browsers function it goes through what, 20 MILLION web-sites in a few seconds to give me results? I don't think it's the sheer quantity of data, the thing is broken.

Yesterday I typed in "Peng CHallenge" search in title-only (personal reasons, shut up!) I have a cable modem and it timed out after about 1 hour. I could have done it by hand faster than that.

It's broke. :confused:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

20 THOUSAND POSTS! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is to say 20,000 Topics and a Quarter million posts.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Yesterday I typed in "Peng CHallenge" search in title-only (personal reasons, shut up!) I have a cable modem and it timed out after about 1 hour. I could have done it by hand faster than that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is only protecting you. The accumulated knowledge of The One True Cess has been known to drive wise men the the brink of insanity.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

It's broke.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you try entering the secret password?

Seriously, the search does work better if you narrow it by using a member number. While this may restrict your search results a little, depending on the subject, it is usually possible to figure someone who would likely have posted there. For example, in seaching for the MBT use Elvis' number, as his trademark "Wankers" post has appeared in most, if not all, of the Peng Challenges. Likewise, if you are looking for something on the comparative firepower ratings of the UberPanzerWeufer Mark XXIX auf F1 as compared to the UberPanzerWeufer Mark XXIX auf F2, then use the number of the appropriate Grog.

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Marlow ]

There are only some 20,000 threads, but some 250,000 posts. The search engine on UBB is probably nowhere near as sophisticated as the average web search engine. Those don't search on demand for you, instead they have daemons that roam the web, indexing the contents of everything they find. When you type something in they just look in their index and spit out the contents.

I find the opposite of what Shatter suggested works here on the board-- if I use one word then I get a response in a few minutes, if I use more than one my browser times out and says the document contained no data. I haven't found a way to change the browser time out (and I have a DSL connection, so my connection doesn't time out) but there may be something that can be changed in the UBB server software to make it go longer before timing out.

You can also search using a regular browser, since they index the contents of the CM board, but you'll get a lot of responses from the original Peng thread, which contains just about everything worth searching for.

Yeah, chrisl, I noticed on my third attempt (it was evening, so I had the computer chugging away while I did other stuff) that when I simply typed "peng" and had it look in both titles AND message, it actually came up with 244 or so threads. That is what leads me to believ it is broke. I think it can only support 1 word searches or it flips out and calls it a day.

Needless to say, my search, even with the 244 finds, was ultimiately fruitless and futile, but then again, isn't everything in life ultimately fruitless and futile?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Philistine:

One way to get old threads that you know are there (if you, or someone you know participated) is to use the "search by member #" function.

This will list the thread titles that the member has posted in, so at least you can find some of them.

--Philistine<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently this doesn't help much either, as there seems to be a problem with the way the search function stores old threads.

I just did a search under my member number, choosing the 'any date' option. Since I average a post a day, give or take, I should get hits going back to June of 2000. However, what I got was 2 hits for this month and 198 hits from June thru September of 2000. That means there's about a years worth of posts I can't access.

Anyone else have this problem?

When Search works at all, the Back button has always taken me back to the original Search results, after viewing one of the choices from the list.

I guess I would rather have CM2, if I have to choose, but I was fond of the Search. I would like it to be fixed someday. It really isn't worth it anymore, even though once in a while it turns something up. And for the record, I hate having to use member numbers instead of handles. Phooey.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marlow:

Did you try entering the secret password?

Seriously, the search does work better if you narrow it by using a member number. While this may restrict your search results a little, depending on the subject, it is usually possible to figure someone who would likely have posted there. For example, in seaching for the MBT use Elvis' number, as his trademark "Wankers" post has appeared in most, if not all, of the Peng Challenges. Likewise, if you are looking for something on the comparative firepower ratings of the UberPanzerWeufer Mark XXIX auf F1 as compared to the UberPanzerWeufer Mark XXIX auf F2, then use the number of the appropriate Grog.

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Marlow ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

---------------------------------------------

Thanks for clearing that up, I believe I type 20,000 threads, not posts. Some people are just ready to be a critic. If they would only actually read what was posted, it would all be clear.

Yes the Search function, I am sure is not nearly as sophisticated as a browser.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

What happens after you do an effective search, for me anyway, is then you get the little list, and once you click one of the entries you cannot go back to the list, so you have to do it over again and again...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try using a right click instead, then choosing "open link in new window." This assumes you are using the common computer type and software of course. ;)