Crouching MODer, Hidden Archer TD

It's just a Work In Progress but I already have that nagging feeling that I've screwed it.

I mean, the gun is still pointing rearward, there is no proper turret to speak of and I still don't want to be given any of those in my QBs.

View?u=1400454&a=10812693&p=57272960&Sequence=0&res=high

Anyway, the top view and gun mantle still need to be done, and considering most of you will ask for some kind of weathering, it's not available yet.

To any impatient Boardees in here willing to Alpha Test it, I must say a little bit of legalese.

There had been talk about MOD Usage and Etiquette.

I have solved this once and for all!

The Ultra Gamey Buy Me! Buy Me! Archer TD will be released in DentalWare.

For those of you who are not versed in the subtle Art of the Pool, DentalWare is a Distribution Mode where every request will be answered by a Bite Me!.

As a side note, if there is any Dorosh in here who'd wish me to put some divisional or regimental thingies on that MOD, now would be the time...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Aww come on!

I wasn't even Nominated in the French MODer Doing Useless Vehicules Category.

Sheesh... <hr></blockquote>

You could have rallied the Pengsters to the ballot boxes and tipped the scales. ;)

You have to wait for next year's election.

Gyrene

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PawBroon:

As a side note, if there is any Dorosh in here who'd wish me to put some divisional or regimental thingies on that MOD, now would be the time...<hr></blockquote>

Pawbroon, French-type person extraordinaire,

Very nice start. Whatever markings you put on 'em, just remember to put 'em on backwards. smile.gif

Gordon

"I knew Dorosh. And you sir, are no Dorosh."

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Gordon ]</p>

It looks great, Pawbroon. I've been so swamped for time I haven't been keeping up my TOMMY and CANUCK sites - but when you're done, I would love to add it to my collection of stuff I am promising to post for others; I keep them in my inbox, and the Archer would look great there.

I have no idea what units the Archer served in, unfortunately!

What does the heiroglyph on the fender mean? It's eyecatching if nothing else.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

What does the hieroglyph on the fender mean?<hr></blockquote>

Well I hate it when I have to go all Grog-ish and all.

So for starters let's say that putting drawings on my MODs is like a gimmick.

The Wasp on the UC/Wasp was an easy play on words.

The stocking legs a la Betty Grable on the Humber was to make me stick to View One and this Eye of Horus is HISTORICAL.

Gaaaakhh! I've said it.

A legend of the Royal Tank Regiment says that in WWI, some tankers were asked by an old Chinese guy about how their machines could see if they hadn't eyes.

So they took on painting some...

The practice carried over WW2 and there is some pictorial evidence of Matildas with such blue eyes on the turret.

Now the Horus variation is my idea to the best of my knowledge.

Since the Eye of Horus is rumored to be a lucky charm, being stuck in an Archer is prone to get you over enthusiastic about painting a pair of those...

Of course one should be reminded to paint them backward if they were to be displayed properly.

But I don't need a Post It, I've got a Molek.

:D

According to "The British Soldier Vol 2", the Archer was deployed in the Anti-Tank Regiments (RA) of the Infantry Divisions at the strength of 1 troop (4 vehicles) per battery.

The Wolverine and Achilles were deployed in the Anti-Tank Regiments (RA) of the Armoured Divisions at the strength of 2 batteries (12 Wolverines or Achilles per Battery, 4 per troop). It's not clear if they were "mixed" or not (either within the troop, battery or Regiment).

Gordon

Except that Archer's were never anywhere near the RTR, being a part of the RA. I am sure no self-respecting soldier in the RA would want to be seen hanging dead out of the turret of a vehicle with an RTR sign painted on it, which, given this was the Archer, was a likely prospect.

Now stop yapping and get the Wessex Wyvern on the mod, silly Frenchman.

Archers even - meeting Lady Archer the other night must have seriously disturbed me. Anyway. Gordon, I am not 100% certain, but I would bet that SP AT (excluding the Archer) and towed AT assets were not mixed below regimental level. I.e. Troops and batteries were either towed 17-pdrs/Archers or Wolverines/Achilles.

Would be interested to hear other views/knowledge though.

Andreas,

Yes, that appears to be the case, but just as I'd prefer to be in a Sherman troop with at least 1 Firefly around to deal with the "heavies", I'd have thought that they'd have allocated the Achilles around among the Wolverines for the same purpose.

But apparently not.

Gordon

Now then Andreas!!

You forced me to do my homework.

Here is what I fond so far:

20th AT RA, 3rd ID

55th AT RA, 49th ID

59th AT RA, 43rd ID

97th AT RA (before December 44), 102nd AT RA (December on), 15th ID

I did most of those already when I released the UC/Wasp so there's no hassle.

But just because you're asking, I might only do the 15th because they are Scottish.

Seriously, Div badges are easy to find, but where can I get the Reg ones?

They are in the same book Gordon cited; if he hasn't posted yet by tonight, I'll get the info out to you. Thanks for the info on the heiroglyph - I don't think RA types were as discriminating as Andreas would like to think. Didn't they adopt the black tankers beret after the war? I know the Royal Canadian Artillery bedecked itself in black berets for a period postwar. They too are RTR only affectations....

Seriously, Div badges are easy to find, but where can I get the Reg ones?<hr></blockquote>

Pawbroon,

What do you mean by "Reg ones?" I thought they would have carried the parent Division's formation sign and the appropriate battery markings. Or am I missing something?

Gordon

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gordon:

Pawbroon,

What do you mean by "Reg ones?" I thought they would have carried the parent Division's formation sign and the appropriate battery markings. Or am I missing something?

Gordon<hr></blockquote>

I think you are right.

Sorry about the misunderstanding - did think you meant towed and SP, and not Wolverines and Achilles when you talked about mixing. I have no idea is the answer in that case. I would assume a more chaotic mixing.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Andreas:

I think you are right.

Sorry about the misunderstanding - did think you meant towed and SP, and not Wolverines and Achilles when you talked about mixing. I have no idea is the answer in that case. I would assume a more chaotic mixing.<hr></blockquote>

Each AT RA had batteries like this if I'm correct:

4 Towed 6Pdr

4 Towed 17Pdr

4 Archers

What I meant with REG wasn't REGULAR (Sorry) but REGimental as opposed to DIVisional.

Sometimes I can't help but being me.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MikeyD:

A VERY big Valentine-based thumbs up!<hr></blockquote>

Thanks Mike.

Coming from someone who somehow escaped marrying me since releasing his Hetzer MOD is very important for me.

I've tried to raise you by mail but since the demise of Excite as an ISP, all tentatives bounced back at me.

Here is my own mail, marcel.vie@wanadoo.fr since I have something to clear through you concerning this Archer.

[QB]

Each AT RA had batteries like this if I'm correct:

4 Towed 6Pdr

4 Towed 17Pdr

4 Archers

[QB]<hr></blockquote>

Hmm, I would have thought they had two 12-gun batteries with two six-gun troops each, and that they would all be 17-pdr by the time of Normandy, with the 6-pdr relegated to the infantry battalions as organic AT artillery. Not sure how the Archer fits in.

Michael? Simon? Brian?

What I meant with REG wasn't REGULAR (Sorry) but REGimental as opposed to DIVisional.

Sometimes I can't help but being me.<hr></blockquote>

Pawbroon,

That's Ok, we love you as you are. :rolleyes:

However, my question remains. AFAIK, there would be no REGimental markings other than the battery and vehicle identifiers. The vehicle would display the Division's formation sign. If the battery and vehicle identification symbols are what you are looking for, I can provide you with that (from "The British Soldier Vol 2").

Gordon

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gordon:

If the battery and vehicle identification symbols are what you are looking for, I can provide you with that.<hr></blockquote>

Now that I understand what I first wanted, I'd have to say a hearty YES PLEASE DO PROVIDE.

Not that I care (I'm me as you so aptly put it) but there will be young people who would want something like accuracy for Xmas.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: PawBroon ]</p>