Jeep killed my Jpz-IV :D

illo

It was middle of the night. My JPz-VI was advancing towards sound contact. When JPz-IV saw jeep it was only few meters away. Jeep drove without fear head on against JPz. Jeep was little inside Jpz front armor and Jpz was going full speed forward pushing JeepMG who fire its 50cal wildly...suddenly Jpz-IV was knocked out.

After battle i went look on map. I found jeep who had 1 JPz-IV kill smile.gif.

Who said .50cal isn't effective?

I think it is VERY questionable to even speculate if this little "trick" or more likely Fluke shot is modeled....

But What if......

Suppose the JPz-IV loaded HE to dispatch the Jeep (not that unlikely)

Suppose the .50 cal in the jeep fired the at the gun of the JPz-IV (ok that makes sense)

Now the FLUKE part, suppose a .50 cal round somehow found its way down the gun barrel of the JPz-IV and the HE round was in the breach

HE round goes off in the breach ...

KA BOOM K-KILL! for the Jeep smile.gif

Ok I think that might have happend ONCE in all of the action in all if WW II but it is a REMOTE possibilty for a .50 cal MG kill, no?

Comments?

-tom w

jeeps killing armor is always fun(for me who plays allies all the time)

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/007180.html

from a post about jeep killing hetzer:

"The U.S. .50 cal was designed to destroy light armor. It can penetrate 12.7mm at 1000m, and 19mm at 550m, according to "Hell On Wheels" referencing the War Department's "Defense Against Mechanized Units". Obviously, at point-blank range, the penetration would be even greater (somewhere in the 22-25mm range, IIRC, sorry I don't have my data in front of me at the moment)."

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

maybe when the jeep gets that close it is modelled like a close assualt on the tank?

That might explain it a little bit, then it would be a miracle shot for a crew vs. Armor... But still, it's nice to see these things happen, even if they suck against you... smile.gif

Keith

It was knocked out not abandoned. In RL jeep would have been crushed under JPz-IV for sure.

remember both vehicles were travelling full speed towards eachother.

Btw what was range where MG42 penetrated through side armor of US halftracks?

Guest MantaRay

Ya well in a ladder game on the 2nd or 3rd turn I had a Marder 3 in hunt mode on the right flank get taken out by a HT without even shooting at 280m. Man I would have been pissed, but I swear I didn't even notice it until my opponent said something in his email back to me. No prob though, I can deal with this occasionally.

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

New Site of the PLA:Rugged Defense Group Ladder

The Red Army Mirror

An M3A1 halftrack immobilized Wittman's tiger when I was playing Villars Bocage today. Didn't save the halftrack, but a firefly ended up getting him on the next turn.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

The Last Defense- Mods, Scenarios, and more!

Hey, in the book "DeathTraps" the author mentions that a Sherman tank came back from a fight with half a gun barrel. Turns out the Germans shoot down the barrels of their enemies to. Seems like that hard way to do it, but it's probably a great way to intimidate the enemy with your marksmanship.

I guess that Jeep crew didn't fall asleep during their antitank training.

"When you get within fifty yards in front of an enemy armored vechicle - your first priorty is to shoot out the sighting optics for the main gun. Next comes the optics for the bow MG. Now on a Panzer III you'll see that the aiming points are ... a Panzer IV ... a StugIII ... "

>I guess that Jeep crew didn't fall asleep during their antitank training.

Possibly. But it does raise eyebrows when these urban legends consistently revolve around the 50cal. Often mounted on the jeep.

Originally posted by illo:

It was knocked out not abandoned. In RL jeep would have been crushed under JPz-IV for sure.

remember both vehicles were travelling full speed towards eachother.

Btw what was range where MG42 penetrated through side armor of US halftracks?

mgvsht.jpg

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Originally posted by illo:

Jasper, I have doubt anyone could aim down 75L48 barrel while hugging front hull.

In most cases yes. But you had the unfortunate bad luck to run across John Jones - aka the Michael Wittmann of US jeep crews. We all marvel that Wittmann could somehow survive his suicide tactics, but I think Jones is no less daring.

Not everyone agrees with me, but I think Jones probably would've beaten Wittmann during their famous Jones-Wittmann duel. Personally I feel not enough attention is given to the fact the Jones driver failed to top off the fuel in his jeep. I think this is the fundamental cause for his fatal lack of mobility two hours into the fight.

------------------

Check out http://www.geocities.com/funfacts2001/ or

http://hyperion.spaceports.com/~funfacts/ or

http://www.britwar.co.uk/members/FunFacts/ for military documents written during WWII.