Can an HQ spot for an FO?

I was reading a thread on another board and someone made reference to using an HQ unit to spot for an FO so that the FO could remain out of the enemy LOS. Now, I know an HQ can spot for on board mortars, but can an FO be under the command radius of an HQ unit and use the HQ's LOS like an on board mortar can?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joeski:

Uh, that's funny I do it all the time. Company commanders, platoon HQ's spotting for 81mm, 120mm, you name it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean you do it in real life, or in CM? In CM, you can spot for on board mortars, but not for off-board mortars or arty, with platoon & Co. HQs.

In real life, such spotting did in fact occur, all the time, according to Charles MacDonald's "Company Commander"--and excellent book I'm currently reading.

Hey Joeski, I guess the question is, how do you know that the HQ is giving you LOS? Unlike an on board mortar, you can target an FO without LOS. Are you sure you aren't just plotting your FO without line of sight without realizing it? I know a mortar without LOS won't let you target, but that isn't true for an FO. (This is for everyone) Does the FO targetting line change dependant on whether you have line of sight or not? I believe it's always an orange line isn't it?

In the game. smile.gif

OK I've been doing this for awhile so your saying It does not work? or it's not effective?

I take a HQ unit with a command bonus put him a nice LOS spot. Take the FO with say 105mm. Now the FO can not see spot but the HQ can. I use the los tool for the HQ to see what he can see. Then I plot the FO from that. I get a nice tight pattern. It's not the wide (none los) pattern. This does not work? :eek:

Hey General

:D

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: joeski ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GenSplatton:

Does the FO targetting line change dependant on whether you have line of sight or not? I believe it's always an orange line isn't it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it dose change if he has LOS the line become blue or if not the best LOS then Green.

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joeski:

I take a HQ unit with a command bonus put him a nice LOS spot. Take the FO with say 105mm. Now the FO can not see spot but the HQ can. I use the los tool for the HQ to see what he can see. Then I plot the FO from that. I get a nice tight pattern. It's not the wide (none los) pattern. This does not work? :eek:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just tried this with 2 German 81mm FOs and it really doesn't work. The one that was spotting for itself began firing over a minuet sooner than the one with the HQ spotting and the pattern was much tighter.

The LOS line when you have line of sight is blue. It turns green when during a fire mission you want to adjust your fire thus the new target is considered an adjustment on your current fire not a whole new mission altogether. Also the time to target for the adjustment is very small in comparison to an altogether new fire mission. This distance you can change your fire is about 100m (i believe). If you do not have LOS then the line will be the standard red and black although you will still be able to target. The difference between the two fires will be time to target (No LOS means about double the time) and having LOS will provide you with a much better concentrated fire mission. Hope this helps

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: Priest ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzerman:

No they can't. I don't know why, but I don't work for BTS not to mention I doubt it happened in realty. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Com'on Rob. Can you not give any more information than, "Not they can't, but I don't know why."? And what's not working for BTS have to do with the price of tea in China?

The answer is simple, HQ can't spot for Forward Observers because it's the FOs that have the binoculars, not the HQs. However HQs can spot for on-board mortars as long as they are within C&C with the HQ.

What I like to do, although I don't do it too often is to keep the odd HQ out, (the ones that aren't directly related to squads) and group them with on-board mortars. Keep the mortars behind a hill and have the HQ stick his neck out somewhere in LOS of intended targets.

The color of the targeting lines are as follows:

For EXCELLENT LOS the line is a BRILLIANT BLUE. As LOS degrades, ie. looking through trees and such, the line changes hue to a lighter, paler blue. To about the color of the UBB posting box.

When LOS is BLOCKED totally, it changes to a RED and BLACK line and where the line turns black is where the LOS is interrupted.

During a Fire Mission, if you wish to change the target, you can by selecting the Target and moving the target line around, as long as it stays GREEN you will only incur a short "re-aiming" penalty. Go outside the range of roughly 50m I think it is, (changed in the last patch or so from 100m) and you will have to wait through the initial time, 1-3 minutes.

When using a HQ to sight for on-board mortars, the targeting line will be ORANGE once a target is selected--the same as an "area fire" line as it really is anyway when you think about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Com'on Rob. Can you not give any more information than, "Not they can't, but I don't know why."? And what's not working for BTS have to do with the price of tea in China?

The answer is simple, HQ can't spot for Forward Observers because it's the FOs that have the binoculars, not the HQs. However HQs can spot for on-board mortars as long as they are within C&C with the HQ.

What I like to do, although I don't do it too often is to keep the odd HQ out, (the ones that aren't directly related to squads) and group them with on-board mortars. Keep the mortars behind a hill and have the HQ stick his neck out somewhere in LOS of intended targets.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you missed my latter posts... come on Max get with the program don't just read one read them all.

Your dum replies are getting boring. Find some new kid who has no clue whats going on in the game to bug because you fail to bug me. :rolleyes:

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Soddball:

Let's say that you had a FO within the command radius of a company HQ with +2 Combat. Would that affect the damage that the FO was able to inflict with artillery?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't. Now if the FO had a pointed stick with which to defend himself he might fight more effectively in close combat. smile.gif But morale modifiers would help the FO resist breaking if it came under fire, and simply being under command of an HQ would help the FO's repsonse time for movement orders.