Scenario Builders, please comment

Yes, balancing the forces is difficult to do. hen i create a scenario, I send it to people who's opinions I trust, and have them play. I then adjust if I get a few opinions saying the same thing. Feedback is the key here...

Rune

I tried to do the Hurtgen forest, December 1944. Obviousely I used alot of Pine, and scattered trees, but I couldnt figure out a way to allow a good balance of a heavy german push, against an ill prepared Allied front. After you make your maps, and select your units, how do you position them when the game starts so they all arent side by side across the back of the map? Thanks for your help.

It requires lots of time to balance. Lots of playtesting from yourself. Play testing from other people is critical. Their feedback is important.

Here's a good way to develope a scenario: design it, play it yourself a couple of times, make tweaks to it, then release it to the public as a Beta version and ask for feedback from players. Use the feedback to make tweaks and then release the "Official" version.

Guest Napoleon1944

If you are a realist, you tend to spend months getting it right. After I bought After the Battle magazine, I had to redo my whole map for Vaagso. Now I have to redo all the units. Then you will have to tweak it, which takes another month!

One of the best things that I've ever seen written was in Boots & tracks I think...It said something to the effect of:

build your scenarios and to do balance do armor only, then add the inf, then the support, etc until you find a balance between all the elements.

I just htink that this is something you might want to keep in mind

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scooleen:

I tried to do the Hurtgen forest, December 1944. Obviousely I used alot of Pine, and scattered trees, but I couldnt figure out a way to allow a good balance of a heavy german push, against an ill prepared Allied front. After you make your maps, and select your units, how do you position them when the game starts so they all arent side by side across the back of the map? Thanks for your help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scooleen, preview the map in the scenario editor and place the units where you want them in the setup zone ... or even out of the setup zone. It's also how you move the VLs on your map.

------------------

"Moriarty, you suck." -- Dunno, but somebody must've said it somewhere along the line

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 01-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 01-13-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Walter:

To make an enjoyable and well-balanced scenario is quite a bit of work. Anyone can throw together a map and slap a few units on it and call it a scenario, but a truly good scenario takes an investment of time.

Walter R. Strapps<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No doubt

I have spent weeks on a scenario.

Matter of fact I am making one as we speek, that I have been doing on and off for at least 3 weeks.

To simulate a hasty defense on an ill prepared front, padlock unit setups in awkward places, so whoever plays Americans will have to scramble to redeploy their troops.

To really simulate a FUBAR defense, have attacks from three sides, with the defending units seperated from each other. There's no time to stabilize your lines, and things get hopelessly confused. Try playing Move it-or lose it as the Germans to understand what I'm talking about.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

Scooleen Awhile back I might a pretty cool scerario based on Hurtgen forest. Have you seen When Trumpets Faid made by HBO? Well if you have not then plz go out and find it. Go buy it if you have too. Its well worth it. My Scenario worked great but since then I've gotten a new hard drive and have not bothered to remake as it took me so Long to make a fun map. And a balanced scenario is also dependent on if your making a Map for human vs. AI or Human vs. Human and also If your making a balanced map for a blind battle between Fionn Kelly and a newbie. Diffrent players will do diffrent things with diffrent weapons, making it even more difficult. Just download a bunch of maps made by gamers, some suck some rock. But some one else hates the scenarios you love and some love it. Mess with force selections of other peoples maps, even ones that came with the game. Sooner or later you will start cranking out some really fun battles.

I say this not really knowing whether players have generally enjoyed the two historical scenarios I have posted at TGN's CMHQ, but I have tried starting by building terrain that is as accurate as my sources permit and then adding units as close to the historical record as possible. I play the senario a lot until I reach the point where the game will produce 1) something close to what happened; 2) greater success than actually happened; and 3) failure, depending on a) how I play the scenario and B) the fortunes of war. This sometimes involves lots of tweaking of units, terrain, location of victory flags, etc. It's a good thing it's fun!