A Walk in Paris

Not the scenario, but the real thing. My girlfriend and I were in Paris for the weekend, and I took her on a walk from the Louvre to the Arc de Triomphe. Little did she know that I'd chosen the route so I could walk over the terrain for the scenario of the above name. There she was expecting a romantic stroll, and next thing she knows I'm pointing out where my machine gun bunker was emplaced and how I had a Panther hiding down that street over there. The poor girl, I'm not sure why she puts up with me. But it was great to see this area after playing the scenario, really brought it alive for me.

Originally posted by MichaelU:

Not the scenario, but the real thing. My girlfriend and I were in Paris for the weekend, and I took her on a walk from the Louvre to the Arc de Triomphe. Little did she know that I'd chosen the route so I could walk over the terrain for the scenario of the above name. There she was expecting a romantic stroll, and next thing she knows I'm pointing out where my machine gun bunker was emplaced and how I had a Panther hiding down that street over there. The poor girl, I'm not sure why she puts up with me. But it was great to see this area after playing the scenario, really brought it alive for me.

Poor girl??? I am pretty sure that after seeing the Louvre and the Arc de Triomphe in all their splendor, that she was more than willing to allow you to live out your CM scenario.Personally I think she came out tops... biggrin.gif

Did the same thing a few months back and was shocked to see the 'bocage' lining the Tuileries gardens was actually a 10 foot iron fence eek.gif

And they ambushed me from behind that?! rolleyes.gif

Still a great scenario though. And a nice spot for a croissant. Panther's definitely the recommended form of transport, though, with that traffic...

Originally posted by Grim:

Panther's definitely the recommended form of transport, though, with that traffic...

Lol Grim, I couldn't agree more......

One of the most eye-opening things I witnessed was a guy on his roller blades holding on to the back of a moving car, funny thing is no one but me seemed to think that was at all unusual...

VIVA LA FRANCE........

------------------

We're all just people - half of us are Model A, the rest are Model B - but that has little to do with the kind of people we are.

----------------------

David

Paris - my darkest hour. We visited the french capital with our school class many years ago and also the Arc de Triomphe where some kind of of military parade was going on.

For sure, I was eager to take a closer look. Easier said than done with the massive traffic that was circling around the Arc, but I remembered a TV docu where was said that you simply have to go and the cars will stop and give way.

You guess what happened when I was about to show my classmates what for a cool bastard I am when I started to cross. Hell broke lose as the first cars hit the breaks, angry Frenchmen shouted some nice words ( which I luckily didn't understand ) and within seconds Ive created a real traffic chaos.

I've made it to the other side in one piece, wet from cold sweat into the waiting arms of two policemen.

As I was about to collect my price (i.e. watch the parade ), they made very clear that I wasn't invited to the party and sent me back without mercy and the traffic show started again.

Needless to say what I was thinking about when I discovered " A walk in Paris " on the game disc.

Originally posted by YK2:

Lol Grim, I couldn't agree more......

One of the most eye-opening things I witnessed was a guy on his roller blades holding on to the back of a moving car, funny thing is no one but me seemed to think that was at all unusual...

VIVA LA FRANCE........

Pay notice to the bike couriers in large cities in North America if you ever get the chance; they do the same thing...when they're not running red lights, going the wrong way down one-way streets, and generally expressing suicidal tendencies with every crank of the pedals...

...God, I miss that job....

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Pay notice to the bike couriers in large cities in North America if you ever get the chance; they do the same thing...when they're not running red lights, going the wrong way down one-way streets, and generally expressing suicidal tendencies with every crank of the pedals...

...God, I miss that job....

Never mind, i'm sure playing CM more than fills that void for you smile.gif

------------------

We're all just people - half of us are Model A, the rest are Model B - but that has little to do with the kind of people we are.

----------------------

David

One of the most eye-opening things I witnessed was a guy on his roller blades holding on to the back of a moving car,

We used to do the same thing but instead of the rollerblades we did it on the icy streets after a snowstorm. Really sucks when you hit a patch of bare road. frown.gif

------------------

Order, Counterorder, Disorder. - von Moltke

Originally posted by CJMello:

We used to do the same thing but instead of the rollerblades we did it on the icy streets after a snowstorm. Really sucks when you hit a patch of bare road. frown.gif

Yeah me too CJ, and I even have the scar above my right eye to remind me.....

Ahhhhh memories biggrin.gif

------------------

----------------------

David

Originally posted by scooleen:

There is a human highway tunnel that goes under the champs ellysee to the arc de triomphe. You shouldnt cross above ground, you will get killed.

Wonderful, I should have asked you fifteen years ago.

Nobody has pictures? If you need hosting for them, email them to me.

------------------

The Last Defense- Made any scenarios? Send them here!

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

Yeah, lets see YK2's scar.

Lol........

I assume you mean the one above my right eye..... Thankfully even if I were to post a close up shot you probably still wouldn't be able to see it.....

Happened when i was about 14yrs old which was ermmmmmmmmm lets just say quite a long time ago smile.gif

------------------

----------------------

David

Originally posted by Grim:

Did the same thing a few months back and was shocked to see the 'bocage' lining the Tuileries gardens was actually a 10 foot iron fence eek.gif

Yes I designed this scenario and I know about the iron fence... wink.gif

That was the best compromise I found to simulate the nearly impassable nature of this fence (which is on top of a small wall IIRC) to vehicles and infantry, though the German tanks are at a disadvantage here.

Also from one picture taken in August 1944, it seems that there were trees closest to this fence than today, which would have obstructed the LOS between the street and the Tuileries gardens.

But I know my solution is far from perfect.

We all know, Charles and Steve first, that CM has strong limitations in the modeling of big cities, and I am fully aware that I had to take some shortcuts to reproduce this area of Paris and build the scenario. But I hope it was fun to play, and that you had a nice walk in Paris, past and present! smile.gif

Hi Joel, ah, so you designed that scenario. Nice work, I found the battle

both interesting and challenging. And I liked the representation of Paris.

It's the most detailed look I've ever had of the city. smile.gif

There was plenty of tension wondering where the Germans might be

hidden at. smile.gif Much fun.

Guest *Captain Foobar*

Michael, I think we are leading parallel lives. When my wife and I went on a romantic vacation to Paris, she was bewildered by my fascination with Place De La Concorde. Most of these pics are taken from the ferris wheel. biggrin.gif

View?u=1475386&a=11213024&p=39243070

View?u=1475386&a=11213024&p=39243073

View?u=1475386&a=11213024&p=39243074

View?u=1475386&a=11213024&p=39243076

View?u=1475386&a=11213024&p=39243077

View?u=1475386&a=11213024&p=39243078

View?u=1475386&a=11213024&p=39243079

Guest *Captain Foobar*

By the way, that top picture is The Kriegsmarine bldg, which is a landmark in the CM scenario. I also took some pics of Hotel Maulin (sp?). Let me try to dig those up.Here we go, its in that row of buildings on the right.

View?u=1475386&a=11213024&p=39243268

Nice pictures.

It reminds me that the street that goes along the garden (rue de Rivoli) has a peculiar feature that can't be modelled in CM : covered walkways (I'm sure all tourists remember those).

They give overhead protection and plenty of pillars to hide behind, and they do not hinder mobility as buildings do. Maybe they could have been modelled as scattered trees.