Wheres The fog...?

Sorry people, i know this should really be

posted in tech support but there does seem

to be a lot more traffic thru this forum.

Basically I dont see any fog even when its set as thick fog with all effects enabled

in the menu.It does still work out the LOS

restrictions.

Do you think this is a card issue (ATI Rage 128/ DirectX 6 )or is it a version issue

which is 1.12.

I would be v. grateful if someone could shed some light.

:(

Panzer Meyer,

It's a hardware issue, ATI doesn't support the fog tables. I know it's been discussed several times in the Tech Support forum and a search there may shed some more light. Sorry the answer isn't an easy fix.

Carl

Well, I happen to have an ATI RagePRO 3D card (if you can call it a 3D card, that is, when compared to the NASA-like technology found in stores today) and I do see fog in all its glory.

The texture resolution is quite close to watercolour and the card chokes when above six AFVs are ablaze and withing sight, but 3D fog is there, even when it is not dense.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by boy_Recon:

a mate of mine has a geforce and doesn't get the fog effect, if thats any help..........<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He probably has tablefog disabled by the advanced display properties.

With NVidia drivers, its possible to disable tablefog from there. (sometimes its actually off by default, what I've found out)

OK, here's the basic run-down on the comparison between ATI cards and Nvidia cards.

ATI cards are really good for Video Editing. ie TV in/out sort of stuff. 3D Accelerators second. In other words they weren't really meant to play 3D games. Of course they can, but they lack some of the more advanced features that an average Nvidia card has.

ATI cards actually have Fog Table Emulation, but ATI hasn't/won't/can't release drivers that work in DirectX. It seems to work with Mac computers, but not on PCs.

Nvidia cards are first and foremost 3D Accelerators. They usually have the most advanced features. I've had two Nvidia-based cards. My first was a 32MB D-Viper V770 TNT2 Ultra. My new one is a 64MB S/U/M/A/ Geforce 2 GTS SE (Pro) w/DDR memory. Both have supported Fog.

Older Voodoo-based cards did not support Fog or transparencies either. Any card older than a Voodoo 2 did not support fog or transparencies.

EDIT: Whoah! I just realized you said DirectX 6.0, you really need to upgrade to at least DirectX 7.0a.

[ 06-01-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]

PanzerMeyer,

as we're playing each other I'm sorry you're missing out on the fog :(

It as thick on my computer as any I ever saw in London. I have a GE2MX 32 mb and it works great and they're pretty cheap nowadays. I'm sure it'll work fine for CM2 as well.

I ran CM for 6 months on my old Voodoo2. After I upgraded, cranked up the options + resolution and dl heaps of mods, I suddenly realized how nice this game can look.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter Panzer:

maximus:

...know of any place where a fella can still download directx 7.0a?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure if you can still get it from microsoft. If you want it just send me an Email and i send you 7.0a if you like. I even have the upgrade from 7 to 7.0a if thats any help.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barticus:

If I remember correctly, the ATI cards cannot support fog effects.

Bart<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats strange I have an ATI card and fog works great...but I am on a evil Mac ;)

For those that are still wondering in this thread:

On the PC ATI video cards don't support fog-tables to the extent that CM requires. Vertex-based fog works with the newer ATI chips and some fog-table based games may work (according to some patch info from ATI). However no ATI chip (including the newest Radeons) or driver update or tweak has provided fog under DirectX for CM that I'm aware of. This is most likely a driver issue for ATI. The DirectX version will not fix this issue for ATI video cards.

On the Mac fog-tables are no problem under RAVE. I assume that they'll work under OpenGL also (though that isn't a concern for CM at the moment).

Fog-table support varies card to card and driver to driver. A lot of newer games will probably use vertex fog, but older video cards will have problems supporting that. If BTS were to use vertex fog there would probably be A LOT of Macs that run older, built-in ATI video chips that wouldn't show fog as they do now.