BTS! Slow TCIP connection at a disadvantage?

Ok I am asking all that read this to keep an open mind. I feel that the 1.1 patch is doing something very wrong in the TCIP games only. In hot seat seems fine to me, but in online games, I am seeing oddities. So here is the trouble that only I seem to be having.

It seems to manifest its self though out the game but in armor its pathetic. Ok here it is. My units just don't want to react to the world around them. What I FEAR is going on, is that 1.1 changed the way the turn is executed. I remember BTS telling us how when the TCIP patch comes out, that the turn will be simultaneously crunched on both machines, thus make a quick seamless turn. That worked great for me all the way up until now. Now it appears that a faster connection has a slight advantage over a slower one. BTS is this true, or have I just become a bad player over night?

For the people who are going to say, was your crew buttoned, what was the crew quality, was his tanks hull down, for all of those situations let assume that all things are equal or that I had the advantage. I always come out with the short end of the deal. My connection is 33.3K; sorry it's my phone line. Bellsouth sucks. No DLS in the near future.

So BTS please take another look at how you are implementing TCIP, this is the best game I have ever played!

BTS! Slow TCIP connection at a disadvantage?

TCP/IP doesn't work like that.

Both players issue orders.

CM decides who has the fastest Pc then uploads the file from the slow PC to the fast one. It then calculates the turn and sends file back.

At least I think that is how it works.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

smile.gif

IIRC, it was found in the pre-Beta test that if the turn is crunched on both computers, then variations in processor speed and other tech stuff could result in each player seeing different results. So it was decided to crunch on only one machine. Isn't that what Matt and Steve told us back in the fall?

OK

I feel fortunate that I'm using a fast and (usually) reliable cable modem.

That said I agree with all the rest who have posted here.

It makes no difference if the player at the other end is on a slow modem or not.

Only one cpu crunches the turn.

CM is VERY smart, BECAUSE Charles is very smart and a small quick test is run to race and test the cpu's in question before the battle starts and determine who is the fastest. The Winner CPU hosts the crunch.

I have played against players on 28.8 modems with very fast Cpu's (I have a fast 500mHz Mac G4) but still others out there have faster cpu's so they host the crunch phase, even if they are on a slow 56k or 28.8 modem.

Then it is just a matter of sharing the result of the crunch.

Slower Modems take longer to transfer the identical data that make up the movie the both players see at the same time.

Slow TCP/IP connections Make no difference in game play (other than slower uploads), at all.

Most others here have posted similiar opinions and I agree with them all.

-tom w

Tiny is correct,

When play starts, both computers run a test to see who is faster. Then after both players finish their move and hit GO, the turn info is sent from the slow machine..

The fast machine then crunches the turn data into the movie and sends the big movie file to the slower movie and both people get to watch the movie. There should be no percievable difference between IP and non IP play.

(Hey Tiny, did you get your name from the Sven Hassel line of books?)

>So BTS please take another look at how you >are implementing TCIP,

There's no need to. As others have alreaedy pointed out the results are calculated on the machine that does "math" the fastest and then sent to the other.

>BTS! Slow TCIP connection at a disadvantage?

Not in the least bit. This is still a "Wego" game. Nothing else has changed.

Heathen it must be your ability to play the game well has gone down. Because, as all have stated, the turn is "crunched on one PC then transferred. Even if it wasn't I don't understand your point. Are you saying because your opponent might have a faster connection than you then his computer might get the turn information faster a decide that since you haven't crunched the turn yet that it will fire armor faster at your armor before you get a chance to crunch your turn? Doesn't make much sense does it Heathen?

------------------

What do we do with a terrible liar? Well, Great liars we send into the clergy.

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

and guns, and the bad liars, well, we make them heroin whores. So what the hell

do we do with the Terrible Liars? Well, it seems we turn them into physicists

called "chrisl." Peng

Guest Madmatt

The speed of the computer or connection makes no difference in the rendering of the turn.

Their is no advantage to someone on a P3-933 and a T1 connection over someone on a P2-350 and a 28.8k connection.

All of the number crunching is done ahead of time, encrypted and then sent to the other player. The speed of the connection has no bearing on the results.

Madmatt