Fellowship of the Newbie Continued

Hey guys, I'm new to this one too- my CM bundle pack just arrived last week! I've only installed CMBO, and I've don't have a clue how CMBB can be any better...

Anyways, if any fellow new guy wants to start up a PBEM with me, I'm open to all challengers ;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm the name escapes me player:) Munter and I are about finished. We are on turn 25 in both battles which means OLP is done after this turn and Wiltz should be in about another week. Wiltz has left us both bloodied and battered. Down to last man standing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Congratulations to Shades on another win!

And I'm not the slightest bit bitter about losing two decidedly unbalanced scenarios by *this much*!

I'm hardly ever haunted by recurring dreams of my Shermans at Remulak ignoring my orders to fire smoke and leaving my charge across the bridge to be cut down like so much wheat!!!!

I almost never feel the pit in my stomach like after I discovered that the Americans outnumbered me 2 to 1 in the woods of Counterstroke, and swept over my brave men like a tsunami...

Time for my meds...

smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think Munter and I are the only ones left who played OLP and Wiltz. As the Allies, I beat Munter "only" 71-29 compared to your final score. That one was heavily slanted toward the Allies. Due to the night conditions and map makeup, I could keep my armor out of his guns sights and let my infantry and halftracks flesh them out or pummel what little areas he had to hide them with my artillery. Each flag was isolated in a wooded area and easily swarmed one at a time then I let the small town have it at the end.

I am curious to see your final score with Wiltz which was quite a blood affair for us.

[ November 15, 2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Shades ]

In OLP, I was helped out with the auto-surrender feature. Taking 32 prisoners certainly boosted my score. I also agree that the map and night conditions heavily favored the Allies. I was able to swing my two Fireflys and a platoon on halftracks all the way around to the back of the village without any problems. They may have even gone undetected. The net result was some heavy firepower brought to bear on German troops trying to fall back. This probably had a bearing on the auto-surrender. The trade off was a lack of support on my right flank. I sent one platoon after the flag in the woods on my right and the Germans there were still fighting (and inflicting casualties) when the auto-surrender kicked in.

Any ideas on how the Germans could avoid a disaster in OLP? The short LOS practically guarantees that your guns and armor are going to be found by enemy infantry before they have any chance of engaging enemy armor. I suppose you could try to use the night to your advantage and send the Marder (and maybe the halftracks?) out on a hunting mission. With a little luck, you might get behind the Allies, maybe shoot up some halftracks, but it would seem pretty certain that sooner or later, you’d come up against a Sherman or a swarm of PIATs. Either encounter would be at short range, and the Marder isn’t a good choice in such conditions. I’m hard pressed to see how the Germans can do well, or even OK, in OLP.

As for Wiltz, that is shaping up to be a much more even fight.

I actually found OLP to be tougher than Wiltz. I won OLP as the Canadians 64-36, but the score doesn't reflect the battle. I basically just didn't bother taking the flag on the hill after I took the town. The Germans had 17 men left on the map, all cowering by that flag. I basically just let them be.

I only encountered Germans starting at turn 8. No German shot at my forces from turn 22 to the end.

In Wiltz, the Yanks surrendered to me on turn 21.

• 3 weeks later...

It's over!

Cpl Carrot and I finished Wiltz. Final score: Axis 60, Allies 38 for a Minor Axis victory. I thought Wiltz was one of the more balanced scenarios in this tournament and very fun to play. I really appreciate Cpl Carrot taking over for my MIA opponent and finishing both scenarios. I thought he did a great job considering he was thrown into the middle of a couple of battles that he had no hand in setting up. He did a really nice job in Wiltz, eliminating practically all of my armor. Seems like the only armor I had left was the stuff that bogged down and was immobilized at the back of the map! :D

Thanks again to Cpl Carrot for organizing this tournement. And thanks to the scenario designers for putting together some really fun and interesting scenarios.

Ace

Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

Thanks again to Cpl Carrot for organizing this tournement. And thanks to the scenario designers for putting together some really fun and interesting scenarios.

Ace

Thank you for your comments on the scenario's guys. I'll pass on the thanks to the other members of the team who helped make the battles. BTW if any of you want to pick up something like this for CMAK, I'm willing to work with you all again. smile.gif

P.S If you want copys of the battles, I'll see if I can dig them up. I don't know if I have all of them though since I copied CMBO onto a CD to creat more disk space.